Preparing for NFL draft question

#2Gopher

Reaction score
I caught the end of Frank Ragnow's interview on Kare 11 this evening. Said something about Minnesota and it appeared that he was working out in Arkansas based on what I saw in the background.

I'm hoping that Fleck's policy is where only players who have connections to the U are allowed to work out at the Gopher facility to prepare for the draft or their NFL team. Is that your understanding?

I caught the end of Frank Ragnow's interview on Kare 11 this evening. Said something about Minnesota and it appeared that he was working out in Arkansas based on what I saw in the background.

I'm hoping that Fleck's policy is where only players who have connections to the U are allowed to work out at the Gopher facility to prepare for the draft or their NFL team. Is that your understanding?

I would be ok with it if that was the policy. Go to college at Arkansas, life sentence to the state of Arkansas.

I would be ok with it if that was the policy. Go to college at Arkansas, life sentence to the state of Arkansas.
Hahahaha

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Oh man... they wouldn't even be able to field a team...

Last year Fleck only allowed Minnesota Gophers at their Pro Day. Winona State QB and some other area guys were blindsided by the policy. They hastily organized a poorly attended independent workout. Area colleges were upset because in the past they were always included. This year, I thought I read area D2 guys were participating in the Pro Day again?
If that's the case, (PJ's mindset last year) I'd certainly doubt area guys from other D1 schools would be welcome to work out at the facilities or come to Pro Day.

Last year Fleck only allowed Minnesota Gophers at their Pro Day. Winona State QB and some other area guys were blindsided by the policy. They hastily organized a poorly attended independent workout. Area colleges were upset because in the past they were always included. This year, I thought I read area D2 guys were participating in the Pro Day again?
If that's the case, (PJ's mindset last year) I'd certainly doubt area guys from other D1 schools would be welcome to work out at the facilities or come to Pro Day.

I wonder about that rationale.

I understand not allowing players who went to other D1 programs, but I don't see how allowing D2 players is anything but positive. I could be wrong, but it seems weird.

A report the other day said certain invited players would be welcome (a change from last year). I suppose it makes sense to limit it in the manner of the combine. No sense in ruffling any feathers over such a minor thing.

Can't remember the source, but I read somewhere that it was Gopher players, and selected "local area" players. I'm assuming that means MIAC and DII schools?

Hot take incoming: I think they should let Johnny Manziel throw at the pro day. Get more eyes on the guys who are on the bubble to make an NFL team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder about that rationale.

I understand not allowing players who went to other D1 programs, but I don't see how allowing D2 players is anything but positive. I could be wrong, but it seems weird.

Part of recruiting depth is recruiting borderline local kids and convincing them that PWO at UofM > Scholarship to DII. I could see that as a rationale but this state is way to Minnesota Nice to support that.

Part of recruiting depth is recruiting borderline local kids and convincing them that PWO at UofM > Scholarship to DII. I could see that as a rationale but this state is way to Minnesota Nice to support that.

I mean, I get that, but it seems kind of petty.

It's actually a low-key benefit to WI that there are not any D2 schools in WI. Everyone going to UW-Eau Claire, UW-Whitewater, etc., is playing D3 (no schollies).

I get not letting kids who play D1 elsewhere (Dakotas, UNI, etc.), but D2/D3 - - it just feels petty. I can't imagine there is a 17 year old HS senior deciding between walking on at the U and taking a scholarship to UMD that thinks "I really want a better opportunity to play, but then U of MN won't invite me to Pro Day in 5 years."

A report the other day said certain invited players would be welcome (a change from last year). I suppose it makes sense to limit it in the manner of the combine. No sense in ruffling any feathers over such a minor thing.

I noted that change as well. A great decision by PJ to move some on that subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it was so the scouts would just focus on U of MN players only? I wonder if, in the past, they just had too many players involved. Not sure, just a guess.

I'm all for allowing guys from Winona, St. Cloud, Mankato, Duluth, Moorhead, and any other post-secondary institution in the state to participate. It should be encouraged, IMO. It's good for football in Minnesota.

When it comes to guys like Ragnow and others who choose to turn their back on Minnesota, and bail on the institutions and people that turned them into who they are, to selfishly pursue whatever they're pursuing...not a chance. They chose to burn that bridge. Go pander to the rednecks down in Arkansas. Your Minnesotan card has been revoked as far as I'm concerned.

Guys like Coughlin, Andreis, etc who could've gone anywhere but make their home, family, and community that raised them a priority....those with a shred of loyalty and altruism....put them on a mural at the facility and allow them every resource Minnesota has to offer.

Top Bottom