Fitzgerald to Transfer for Final Year of Eligibility

GopherLady

Reaction score
With his undergraduate degree already in hand, University of Minnesota forward Davonte Fitzgerald will continue his basketball career elsewhere next season, head coach Richard Pitino announced Monday. Fitzgerald has one year of eligibility remaining and is able to play immediately next season.
“Davonte has been an outstanding member of our program through his time here, and I’m sure he will go on to great things both next year and beyond in his career,” said Pitino.
A 6-8 native of Atlanta, Ga., Fitzgerald began his career at Texas A&M, spending two seasons with the Aggies. After transferring to Minnesota, he sat out per NCAA rules before suffering a knee injury in October 2016. He rehabbed the injury while missing the 2016-17 campaign, was granted an additional season of injury and competed on the court for the Gophers this past year.
In 2017-18 with the Maroon and Gold, Fitzgerald appeared in 31 games with four starts. He averaged 3.7 points and 2.4 rebounds in 13.3 minutes per game, while also contributing 12 blocks, 10 assists and nine steals.
For his career between both schools, Fitzgerald has averaged 4.7 points and 2.1 rebounds in 12.9 minutes per game along with 34 blocks, 17 assists and 17 steals.
Fitzgerald earned his bachelor’s degree in communication studies in December and began graduate coursework in the spring semester

Davonte Fitzgerald leaving MN

Davonte Fitzgerald is leaving the U of MN and will attempt to play for another school next year as a grad transfer.

Just saw the press release - forgot to copy it. I'm sure more details will be coming.

probably best for both parties involved. wonder what Pitino will do with the added roster spot

Have to think that this move wouldn't happen unless we have a plan in place to use that scholarship spot. So Strickland/Ramey + a transfer forward?

probably best for both parties involved. wonder what Pitino will do with the added roster spot

As long as we get a point guard that is eligible immediately with one scholarship, I think we have the flexibility to get the best player we can regardless of position with the other, which is nice.

Have to think that this move wouldn't happen unless we have a plan in place to use that scholarship spot. So Strickland/Ramey + a transfer forward?

It could be that Fitzgerald wants to transfer out too.

I wish him the best but am glad he transfered. I think we can do better with the extra roster spot. We can now take a freshman pg for the future plus a grad transfer.

As long as we get a point guard that is eligible immediately with one scholarship, I think we have the flexibility to get the best player we can regardless of position with the other, which is nice.

Fitzgerald news is very good news...but especially great news if we follow your plan.

People are up in arms about Matz being a waste, could be, but maybe not... I'm in wait and see mode on that one, but generally, sitting out a year to play a year is not ideal.

Fitz (do to injury) was the worst case scenario, he ate up three years to play one. Yikes.

It could be that Fitzgerald wants to transfer out too.

I think that it often happens that the coach will say- you are welcome here for another year but I don't see much playing time for you. If you want help getting connected to a program that will have a slot for you to get bigger minutes- I can help you with that. Then if the guy wants to play, he wants to transfer. I think it only happens if the staff feels like they have good options for the scholly. So, I wish Fitz the best but I look at it as a sign of good news to come.

I haven't been following the Gophers as closely as much recently, so when people say we have 2 scholarship spots available, is that because another player besides Fitzgerald is transferring, or did Pitino leave a spot open to recruit someone this spring/summer?

I haven't been following the Gophers as closely as much recently, so when people say we have 2 scholarship spots available, is that because another player besides Fitzgerald is transferring, or did Pitino leave a spot open to recruit someone this spring/summer?

1 scholarship (of 13) was still available, Fitz departure now means 2.

didn't see that coming. not a big loss. .......now lets make that Scholarship count!!

were not concerned that Pitino will use this spot on a PG who will challenge I. Washington and perhaps upset him?

were not concerned that Pitino will use this spot on a PG who will challenge I. Washington and perhaps upset him?

There's no way that Washington expects to be the only point guard on the roster.

If he can't take competition, good riddance

Also, we need more than one PG on the roster

Good luck to Fitz in completing his education and basketball eligibility. He seems to be a class act. Damn ACL tears.

I don't think he left a spot open on purpose necessarily, just hasn't gotten a PG he wanted yet.

Good luck to Fitz in completing his education and basketball eligibility. He seems to be a class act. Damn ACL tears.

+1

I know people are happy to have the extra spot and rightfully so for the sake of the program. Thank you and good luck to him. Never heard a thing about any off court issues or attitude issues and finished his degree. That hasn't exactly been something we've been able to take for granted the past few years. Good for him (and us).

There's no way that Washington expects to be the only point guard on the roster.

I guess I didn't mean any PG, but like if we got Courtney Ramey (which would be awesome), who isn't to say that Washington leaves because he doesn't want to play second fiddle to a PG younger than him... Then we are own another PG again

I guess I didn't mean any PG, but like if we got Courtney Ramey (which would be awesome), who isn't to say that Washington leaves because he doesn't want to play second fiddle to a PG younger than him... Then we are own another PG again

We've been burned so badly with depth problems the last couple of years, I find it hard to believe anyone on the team including IW would gripe about adding extra bodies. Coach can't manage a roster and also appease egos. This team needs to fill roster spots with guys who can play now, and PG is the top priority. Everyone knows that, including Isaiah. Between injuries, transfers, and players who could not play well enough, we've lost a lot of potential court time the last few years. Hopefully we're coming out of that mess now.

Good luck to Fitz. I hope he finds a good fit with good playing time and stays healthy.

These are things we shouldn't worry about. If he's playing second fiddle and transfers, that means we upgraded, but I wouldn't assume that he will play second fiddle to Ramey. If they're both that good, they can always play together too like Washington and Mason did this year.

Fitz was a major disapointment - injuries didnt help - but you could tell he wasnt athletic enough to be effective - guarding any one. But best wishes to him...

didn't see that coming. not a big loss. .......now lets make that Scholarship count!!

Why didn't you see that coming? He was playing behind Hurt. He would likely get less minutes next year if he stayed. He's a grad transfer with decent size and some skills. I'd be surprised if he didn't land a D1 scholarship with a fair enough program.

Tough luck with injuries/suspension this past year not only for the team, but also now for recruiting. Can you imagine how much easier the sell job after being ranked all season and making at least a small run in the tournament vs. the result we all witnessed? It was really setting up nicely for Coach, and the a tornado ripped through the team. If Pitino can end up with two good players after all that, huge kudos to him. I’m hoping they hit a home run with Strickland’s visit this weekend. I have a good feeling about him as piece #1 to the puzzle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tough luck with injuries/suspension this past year not only for the team, but also now for recruiting. Can you imagine how much easier the sell job after being ranked all season and making at least a small run in the tournament vs. the result we all witnessed? It was really setting up nicely for Coach, and the a tornado ripped through the team. If Pitino can end up with two good players after all that, huge kudos to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why so pessimistic? We got Springs after an 8 win season.

Top Bottom