Fitzgerald to Transfer for Final Year of Eligibility

+1

I know people are happy to have the extra spot and rightfully so for the sake of the program. Thank you and good luck to him. Never heard a thing about any off court issues or attitude issues and finished his degree. That hasn't exactly been something we've been able to take for granted the past few years. Good for him (and us).

Not to pile on, but believe he was the only academic all American on the team during last season. He showed flashes of being a good player and you can only wonder how he would have developed without the injuries.

I think that it often happens that the coach will say- you are welcome here for another year but I don't see much playing time for you. If you want help getting connected to a program that will have a slot for you to get bigger minutes- I can help you with that. Then if the guy wants to play, he wants to transfer. I think it only happens if the staff feels like they have good options for the scholly. So, I wish Fitz the best but I look at it as a sign of good news to come.

Bingo!
This is a win - win situation. Fitzgerald came in with good potential, but injuries slowed that down. This will allow him to go to a team that needs him and we can get another player that fills a void.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It could be that Fitzgerald wants to transfer out too.

Pretty sure he got his evaluation which tells you where you stand and what you have to work on. He wants more playing time than he was looking at. It is not creaning, honest assessment and your allowed to stay. Good luck to him but he was not going to play here.

Carrying Jay-Jew for 4 useless years and DF for 3 to play one non-descript year not the best two recruiting moves of the RP era. Good luck to both. Not ripping on them. It’s cutthroat business and those two choices by the head man hurt the program.

Hopefully RP takes the opportunity and lands what we need badly.

Why wouldn't Devonte transfer? He would be behing the following list of players for playing time.

1. Murphy
2. Coffey
3. Curry
4. Oturu
5. Hurt
6. Stockman/himself

Plus Omersa, who would benefit from PT more than Fitzgerald going forward. He is a smart guy and most likely sees the writing on the wall.

I hope he has a good season at Stephen Austin and finds another way in to the tournament.

Fitz already found a place according to Verbal Commits: Stephen F. Austin.

Why wouldn't Devonte transfer? He would be behing the following list of players for playing time.

1. Murphy
2. Coffey
3. Curry
4. Oturu
5. Hurt
6. Stockman/himself

Plus Omersa, who would benefit from PT more than Fitzgerald going forward. He is a smart guy and most likely sees the writing on the wall.

I hope he has a good season at Stephen Austin and finds another way in to the tournament.

I watched some of the game video on this site after Matz transferred and I thought he moved well and had a nice touch around the basket. I get that he didn't play much at Louisville and we haven't heard much in the way of accolades from his practicing with the gophers, but seems to me that we are underselling him a bit.

I watched some of the game video on this site after Matz transferred and I thought he moved well and had a nice touch around the basket. I get that he didn't play much at Louisville and we haven't heard much in the way of accolades from his practicing with the gophers, but seems to me that we are underselling him a bit.

I agree, Stockman is going to play, he's got some offensive skill around the basket and a year of practice, may need to have a banger in when he plays though, I doubt he will be that physical, with Murphy or Curry at the 4 that shouldn't be a problem.

per Marcus' Q&A with Pitino:

Q: Davonte Fitzgerald decided to transfer for the second time. What was his reasoning for leaving?

A: Davonte and I spoke at the end of the year. I told him, ‘Are you sure you want to keep doing this? You’ve had three separate knee injuries. I just want you to be happy.’ It wasn’t a situation where I told him to transfer. He came to me after the year. He has a son who lives in Texas. He told me he wanted to get a little bit closer to him. I told him we would find him a good fit in Texas. I want the best for him. Hopefully, he stays healthy. I think this year will be good for him, because he’ll trust it and believe it. I’m rooting for him.

http://www.startribune.com/richard-...higan-his-father-coaching-and-more/478456023/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom