Bates-Diop 2nd B1G player to opt for pro ranks

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...eyes-forward-keita-bates-diop-enter-nba-draft

B1G Goners, Signed with Agent
1 Keita Bates-Diop, Ohio State
2 Leron Black, Illinois
3 Miles Bridges, Michigan State
4 Tony Carr, Penn State
5 Jaren Jackson Jr., Michigan State
6 Justin Jackson, Maryland
7 Jack McVeigh, Nebraska
8 Corey Sanders, Rutgers
9 Moe Wagner, Michigan

Haven't Signed with Agent
1 Tyler Cook, Iowa
2 Isaac Copeland, Nebraska
3 Nojel Eastern, Purdue
4 Carsen Edwards, Purdue
5 Bruno Fernando, Maryland
6 Ethan Happ, Wisconsin
7 Kevin Huerter, Maryland
8 Charles Matthews, Michigan
9 Juwan Morgan, Indiana
10 Isaiah Moss, Iowa
11 James Palmer Jr, Nebraska
12 Nick Ward, Michigan State

Purdue is going to take a huge step down next year if Carsen Edwards keeps his name in the draft. They would be losing their entire starting lineup. My guess is he'll come back.

Is Leron Black even on any draft boards? Seems like an odd choice. He's basically a Bonzie Colson type player, just not near as good.

Agree, would expect Edwards to come back.

Black I get the feeling he had just had enough of college ball. Ready to collect a professional paycheck somewhere. He's a huge loss for the Illini. Was developing into a really good player.

Palmer Jr. and Copeland declare

Nebraska's James Palmer Jr. and Isaac Copeland declare for draft, won't hire agents.

Agree, would expect Edwards to come back.

Black I get the feeling he had just had enough of college ball. Ready to collect a professional paycheck somewhere. He's a huge loss for the Illini. Was developing into a really good player.

I read on the day Black announced that he is married and wants to live as a grown-up and get a check, pay FICA, and support his family. Sounds like good decision making to me. Likely an overseas player for now, huh?

I'm shocked that Jack McVeigh declared. Must be heading back to Down Under.

Miles Bridges makes it official

Will Jaren Jackson Jr. follow his teammate to the League, or will he pull a surprise like Bridges did last season?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Will Jaren Jackson Jr. follow his teammate to the League, or will he pull a surprise like Bridges did last season?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Good question. He seemed a little under-used this year, partly of his own making with fouls. Probably depends on whether he thinks MSU can win it all, and if it will help him in the draft. I have no idea what the stats are on a guy improving his draft stock from freshman to sophomore year, especially when they were so highly regarded as freshmen. I don't think Bridges hurt himself, but I'm not sure he improved any either.

Another one leaving B1G

This one is a little surprising, Maryland's Justin Jackson. That's a significant blow to the Terps.

I would be shocked if he stayed. some scouts have him as a top 5 pick !

Didn't Happ say he was going to "test the waters" and if things didn't look favorable return to wiconsin(there was some rumors he might seek to transfer), did he change his mind on that?

Didn't Happ say he was going to "test the waters" and if things didn't look favorable return to wiconsin(there was some rumors he might seek to transfer), did he change his mind on that?

Think the word on Happ was he'd go through the evaluation and if he doesn't get a 1st round grade, he'd return to Wisconsin. Hard to imagine him in the 1st round evaluation. Too many holes in his game. If he has any NBA chance, it would be some odd-GM who loves something his game that most others won't see.

MSU's Nick Ward submits name, won't hire agent

Rutgers' Corey Sanders opts for NBA Draft, will sign with agent

90% of these decisions do nothing to alter my opinion that kids in college are idiots.

Huge blow for Rutgers. Probably won't get drafted, but he'll probably have a nice career overseas.

Just when you think Rutgers could be on the upswing (how many times have people said that since '91?!), especially after their solid performance in the Big Ten tournament. Looks like they'll remain at the bottom of the Big Ten...

A good story on one of the B1G's early entrants, Miles Bridges

. ... and the same decision in the next few days facing early entrant possibility Jaren Jackson Jr.

Mike Watkins to return to Penn State

This is highly significant for the NIT champion Nittany Lions. If Tony Carr returns, Nitts should be projected no worse than 3rd or 4th in the B1G heading into the 2018-19 season.

Why? If a kid wants to start his professional career ASAP and start making money, more power to them.

I would bet every single one of them thinks they are getting drafted in the first round. Their goal isn't to play in some random overseas professional league.

I would bet every single one of them thinks they are getting drafted in the first round. Their goal isn't to play in some random overseas professional league.

I honestly don’t think this is the case. Players can make really good money overseas depending on where they end up. (Not Lithuania.) $500k+ per year, and it’s all tax free. Ask Khalid El-Amin or Jimmer Fredette or countless other players who never could cut it in the NBA. Sure, the goal is to make it to the NBA, but that’s not a requirement to be able to retire from professional basketball with a big bank account

I honestly don’t think this is the case. Players can make really good money overseas depending on where they end up. (Not Lithuania.) $500k+ per year, and it’s all tax free. Ask Khalid El-Amin or Jimmer Fredette or countless other players who never could cut it in the NBA. Sure, the goal is to make it to the NBA, but that’s not a requirement to be able to retire from professional basketball with a big bank account

If you work overseas you still pay Uncle Sam federal taxes. You receive a credit for the taxes you pay in the foreign country but do t pay any less.

If you work overseas you still pay Uncle Sam federal taxes. You receive a credit for the taxes you pay in the foreign country but do t pay any less.

Not with some creative international banking

It's often tax free in the country you're working in, though.

I really don't know how many non-athletes would stay in college if they were offered a six figure salary doing something they love in Europe/China.

Top Bottom