Gophers coach P.J. Fleck puts pressure on promising receiver Chris Autman-Bell

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

A front-runner has emerged in the Gophers’ dire need to produce reliable receiving options alongside junior leader Tyler Johnson.

“Again, I will keep saying his name,” Fleck said Saturday after the Gophers’ fifth spring practice. “He’s going to have a lot of pressure on him because I keep saying his name, but Chris Bell, Chris Autman-Bell, just continues to make plays.

“ ‘Bet you can’t make another one,’ ” Fleck continued. “And then he’ll make the next one.”

Behind Johnson’s team highs of 35 receptions, 677 yards and seven touchdowns last season, the Gophers didn’t have a receiver with more than 11 grabs, and none scored a TD. When Johnson was lost to a broken hand for the final two games, the lack of options was stark.

As a true freshman from Kankakee, Ill., Autman-Bell received praise last fall but injured his foot in training camp and was redshirted. “I think (he) was having maybe the best training camp of any of the wideouts, and then he hurt his foot,” Fleck said on March 6.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/...sure-on-promising-receiver-chris-autman-bell/

Go Gophers!!

As long as he stays healthy, I think Autman-Bell will be our best WR this year. There's a reason he was touted as the 2nd coming of Corey Davis when he was still a Western Michigan recruit.

As long as he stays healthy, I think Autman-Bell will be our best WR this year. There's a reason he was touted as the 2nd coming of Corey Davis when he was still a Western Michigan recruit.

What is that reason?

What is that reason?

I believe they have similar size and skill sets. Many of the recruiting experts expected him to replace Davis at WM from day 1. There have been a lot of positive remarks about him last year and so far this year. I also believe Fleck and Simon know how to recruit/develop WRs better than the previous staff.

our WR's should be better

I'm excited. I just want middle of the pack passing game in the B1G. I'm not asking for much

I believe they have similar size and skill sets. Many of the recruiting experts expected him to replace Davis at WM from day 1. There have been a lot of positive remarks about him last year and so far this year. I also believe Fleck and Simon know how to recruit/develop WRs better than the previous staff.

I'll reserve comment until I talk with AJ Barker's mom's best friend.

Real pressure would be if he started squirting water in his face as he's trying to catch the ball!

What was CAB3's injury again? (other than "hurt foot")

That's right up there with predictions that Wisconsin will regress every year..... that is to say we hear it every year.

I hear what you're saying Slab, but I actually believe it this year. I guess I believed it all those other years too.

Can they be worse than last year though?

Probably not. I think the point was folks made the same exact argument you just did going into last season. As we learned, it can always get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear what you're saying Slab, but I actually believe it this year. I guess I believed it all those other years too.

I hope so!

I've been bitten too many times to not be super shy about it.

I got excited when before a bowl game Jerry talked up his crowd of red shirt WRs and how great they were and how he wished he could use them in bowl games and so on. The next year.... no change at WR really.

When it comes to WRs and hope, I hope but some times:

MnVbAaJ.gif

Granted as I noted above QB play at times doesn't help matters.

Top Bottom