STrib: How the Gophers hockey job Don Lucia left behind has changed dramatically

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Who will replace Don Lucia? And what kind of job will that person be accepting?

The first decision rests with Minnesota athletic director Mark Coyle and his lieutenant, Tom McGinnis, the senior associate AD who oversees men’s hockey. Coyle on Tuesday, after listening to Lucia reflect on 19 years at the helm, spoke in general terms about the qualities he wants in someone replacing his retiring coach.

“Any AD would tell you that you always have a list of coaches you’re interested in, and I won’t put a number on that. We’ve started to identify some people, and we’ll be moving forward in the process,” he said. “We want to find the best fit for Minnesota, somebody who understands what this program means. This program in a lot of ways is the heartbeat of the state, and we need somebody who’s going to embrace that and understand that.”

Coyle wouldn’t say if the coach would have to have university ties, but he indicated the job and its demands aren’t for everyone.

“When I left [Minnesota] in 2005 and worked at Kentucky, I learned a very valuable lesson,” he said. “When Coach [Tubby] Smith left to come up here, being a young administrator, you think anybody wants that head-coaching job. But you learn real quick that there’s only a handful of people who can take that job. Minnesota hockey is like Kentucky basketball.”

http://www.startribune.com/how-the-...ft-behind-has-changed-dramatically/477843173/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom