Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Default STrib: Lucia to Receive Coaching Contract Pay as Special Assistant

    http://www.startribune.com/don-lucia...job/477764203/


    Don Lucia will make the same amount as a special assistant to the athletic director next year as he would have as Gophers menís hockey head coach. Lucia, who resigned Tuesday, will make $630,000 over 14 months in his role as a special assistant to Mark Coyle.

    He had one season left on his contract when he resigned. The new contract for his new job was finalized and approved on Friday. Luciaís new duties focus on fundraising for improvements to 3M Arena at Mariucci.

    He will be paid a base salary of $290,000 over the 14 months and will receive supplemental pay (retirement plan payment) of $340,000 on July 1, 2019. The adjusted contract runs from May 1, 2018, through June 30, 2019. While the total is the same, the base salary and supplemental pay amounts changed from his previous contract, which called for $375,000 and $255,000, respectively.


  2. #2

    Default

    So maybe we should have just let him resign and not keep him around for another year at $290,000. If a guy quits/resign, aren't you done? Not sure if the U has much money to splurge.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    So maybe we should have just let him resign and not keep him around for another year at $290,000. If a guy quits/resign, aren't you done? Not sure if the U has much money to splurge.
    So you really think he resigned on his own? I got a bridge for sale I want you to see....

  4. #4

    Default

    I think Lucia was starting to think about leaving, but not completely decided and would have likely stayed coaching another year. Then in their meeting Coyle was like "I think its time for you to resign" and Lucia was like "Okay", since he was already starting to think about it.

    Coyle is keeping him on because while the image of him as a coach went down recently, as a person people still respect him and think he is a class act. Given that, Lucia can spend time still helping the University raise funds for improvements to Mariucci. This will allow the new coach to focus solely on coaching the team, and settling in, during their first year.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    So you really think he resigned on his own? I got a bridge for sale I want you to see....
    How much for the bridge? Discount for Gopher Holers? Meanwhile if Lucia is going to come out and say he resigned on his own terms, two can play the game if he isn't being truthful.

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    So maybe we should have just let him resign and not keep him around for another year at $290,000. If a guy quits/resign, aren't you done? Not sure if the U has much money to splurge.
    Happens all the time with executive leadership. They came to an agreement based on him resigning.

  7. #7

    Default

    https://www.twincities.com/2018/03/2...as-fundraiser/

    From the Pioneer Press:

    Lucia was set to earn $630,000 in salary and retirement contributions next year, the final year of his contract. Instead, he’ll get $588,500 as a special assistant to athletics director Mark Coyle.

    Lucia announced Tuesday that he was resigning as coach after 19 seasons.

    The University of Minnesota Board of Regents agreed to amend his contract Friday during a meeting in Rochester. President Eric Kaler told regents that Lucia will work to raise the last $1.5 million toward the $5 million renovation of Mariucci Arena.

    “We do believe that Mr. Lucia has an effective network, obviously, built by 19 years of coaching and will advance these conversations, so we’re comfortable in his role,” Kaler said.

    Besides the pay cut, Lucia loses access to a university-funded car and tens of thousands in potential team performance bonuses.

    He’s officially out as coach April 30, or sooner if a new coach is hired. The amended contract bars him from taking a different Division I coaching job till at least July 2019...

    ...Under the terms of his contract, had the U fired Lucia rather than offering the special assistant role, they would have paid him half his salary and retirement, or $315,000 next year.

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by #2Gopher View Post
    How much for the bridge? Discount for Gopher Holers? Meanwhile if Lucia is going to come out and say he resigned on his own terms, two can play the game if he isn't being truthful.
    It is a way to show respect for what the Lucia did for the U. I have no problem with the terms, it shows future coaches that you will do what is right and not just throw them out to the curb. Also, Donnie mentioned that his primary task will be to gather funding to upgrade the hockey player facilities. He compared the outdated player facilities at the U to the newer ones at St Cloud, UMD, etc.. he said asked if Ohio State would let the smaller football schools in the conference have significantly better player facilities. If you want to be the big boy, you need to back it up. Also, Lucia wants to be available for the new coach like Woog was for him. It is a tight Gopher Hockey family.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alchemy2u View Post
    It is a way to show respect for what the Lucia did for the U. I have no problem with the terms, it shows future coaches that you will do what is right and not just throw them out to the curb. Also, Donnie mentioned that his primary task will be to gather funding to upgrade the hockey player facilities. He compared the outdated player facilities at the U to the newer ones at St Cloud, UMD, etc.. he said asked if Ohio State would let the smaller football schools in the conference have significantly better player facilities. If you want to be the big boy, you need to back it up. Also, Lucia wants to be available for the new coach like Woog was for him. It is a tight Gopher Hockey family.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I guess I can handle this. You're correct.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •