Niko Medved heads back to Colorado State - as the Head Coach!

GopherLady

Reaction score
There were rumors for a while, now it's official. They couldn't get (back) a better guy. It's no secret that I'm a huge Niko fan, and have been since he coached here.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's the Tim Miles route back to the Big Ten.

I don't begrudge Medved for looking to improve his job situation, but he sounds like a weasel for telling the AD on Tuesday he withdrew only to accept less than 48 hrs earlier.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...-drake-brian-hardin-randy-peterson/450887002/

Maybe a little bit of a weasel, but I bet this happens with a lot of mid-major programs. Guys really like the life at their current places, say they don't want to go and end up leaving. It's the peril of being a mid-major AD. What I find more disheartening is bolting after a year. Feels Lou Hotlzish to me, and I'd be PO'd if I were a Drake fan. I wonder if he'll bring Thorson with him.

And the answer why Thorson would leave DeLaSalle to be an assistant at Drake maybe swallows better now. Certainly, if he is named the permanent head coach.

And the answer why Thorson would leave DeLaSalle to be an assistant at Drake maybe swallows better now. Certainly, if he is named the permanent head coach.

Assuming someone wants to move up (and likes making more money), they would be absolutely foolish not to leave a HS job for a DI assistant job.

I have doubts that will happen. Thorson has one year of recent college coaching experience, and had previously been out for 20 or so. Drake is not a bottom of the barrel D-1 job, are in a good conference, are in a decent place to live, and some decent recent success. There have to be guys a rung or two below or current assistants they could get with less risk than a guy who has been in high school for most of the last 20 years. He's a great coach, but my money is him moving with Medved unless there is a compelling reason he is in Des Moines beyond basketball. Hard to believe a new coach keeps him, but you never know.

I have doubts that will happen. Thorson has one year of recent college coaching experience, and had previously been out for 20 or so

Who cares? He paid his D1 dues and has experence at that level. Not like hes been coaching 8th grade girls basketball the last 20 years. Hes a very good coach and would be perfect for Drake.

Assuming someone wants to move up (and likes making more money), they would be absolutely foolish not to leave a HS job for a DI assistant job.

About the assuming part...after many years at DeLasalle as the Head coach with success and during a streak of consecutive state titles...why now/then? Why for an assistant coaching position? Being a head coach is very different than being an assistant, especially after 20 years or however long as the dictator. (And he is)

So, if it was time to leave why not a head coaching position? Certainly he could get a D2 head coaching job with his resume. Certainly he had opportunities to move on along the way with all the high profile college coaches relationships he developed with them coming in recruiting his players over the years. Or, with his relationships from when he was previously a D1 assistant coach. (Remember, he's been there, done that...the D1 asst role and could have done it again long before last year.)

I get the money. I'm just sure he had many opportunities to be a D1 assistant at higher profile programs than Drake at different points if it was just about money. And I get he is friends with Medved, but not so much he's not willing to stay for the head job at Drake.

Those are just some of my thoughts why it didn't add up for me. Imo, there was more to the story than making more money.
Maybe he had a prior relationship with the Drake AD or Pres? Maybe Niko knew he was short term at Drake? Or lots of other possibilities other than Drake D1 assistant coach money. But I dunno...just thoughts.

Top Bottom