B1G spring rankings and analysis (Gophers #12)

pk2

Reaction score
From College Football News:

Big Ten 2018 Spring Rankings

Based on how the teams appear to be this spring.

12. Minnesota Golden Gophers

The P.J. Fleck era isn’t going to kick in full-force quite yet, needing a quarterback to emerge and having to find a better downfield passing game. However, the lines should be sound and the defensive back seven can hit.

14. Rutgers
13. Illinois
12. Minnesota
11. Indiana
10. Maryland
9. Nebraska
8. Purdue
7. Northwestern
6. Iowa
5. Penn State
4. Michigan
3. Michigan State
2. Ohio State
1. Wisconsin

https://collegefootballnews.com/2018/03/big-ten-2018-spring-rankings-analysis

Maryland 10th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I greatly dislike this list - from top to bottom.

Elite.

But seriously, it's unacceptable to be in that position. We're falling behind the likes of Indiana and Purdue, according to this. By the way, they were in much worse shape than we were, and their coaches have been around for a shorter time than Fleck, and they weren't handed some of the best facilities on the conference.

He better get something done quick, because the continued blame being shifted to the previous regime/players isn't going to hold water much longer. He's now working on his third recruiting class, and was handed a defense certainly not lacking for talent (Winfield, Martin, Barber, Coughlin, Cashman). If he is what says he is, it shouldn't take 5 years to get a serviceable QB in here, which is all it would really take to turn this into a respectable West team, as it was when he took it over.

Elite.

But seriously, it's unacceptable to be in that position. We're falling behind the likes of Indiana and Purdue, according to this. By the way, they were in much worse shape than we were, and their coaches have been around for a shorter time than Fleck, and they weren't handed some of the best facilities on the conference.

He better get something done quick, because the continued blame being shifted to the previous regime/players isn't going to hold water much longer. He's now working on his third recruiting class, and was handed a defense certainly not lacking for talent (Winfield, Martin, Barber, Coughlin, Cashman). If he is what says he is, it shouldn't take 5 years to get a serviceable QB in here, which is all it would really take to turn this into a respectable West team, as it was when he took it over.

NM

Elite.

This is going to be his 2nd full recruiting class. The first one gets a pass IMO, he had a month and was only really able to flip a few MAC guys.

I agree with Heracles. Eighty percent of life is just showing up. Half the time I wonder if Fleck is a victim of his own dogma and he honestly believes he can’t compete until his culture is all-encompassing and he has his own guys, or if the woe is me stuff is standard coachspeak and he has the team believing they can win behind the scenes. I didn’t see that last season, but maybe it’s just me.

Elite.

I agree with your assessment that this is unacceptable , so the obvious solution is to blame the guy who has to fix a totally screwed up roster. I don't mean to be disrespectful, but what team were you watching last year? By year end (and for most of these issues much of the year) we had no B1G level players at 2 OL positions , 2 DE positions against power teams, 1 DB position, TE, and all WR positions after Johnson got hurt. If we had a good QB, he would have had to run down field and hand the ball to the WRs.
I expect us to get better, but anybody thinking we mostly had a QB problem last year is kidding themself. It was just the most obvious problem. There was literally no one to throw a pass to the last 3 games of the season.

We don't have to like it.... but I don't think it is that far off.

This ranking will look totally different in 2020 or maybe its 2021 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom