Kurt Giles and Dave Tippett rumored to be Possible Gopher Coach Candidates

Dwight Schrute

When I die I want to be frozen
Reaction score
Im hearing rumblings from sources close to and/or within the gophers alumni and staff that Dave Tippett and Kurt Giles might be both possible top candidates for the MN Gophers job?

Both have:
1. Deep NHL roots
2. Tippett years as successful NHL coach - 2010 NHL coach of the year
3. Giles Years as a great High School Hockey coach
4. Tippett - UND star
5. Giles - NHL Star and famous Northstar
6. Both have deep MN hockey roots for recruiting
7. Both Knows MN recruiting and college hockey

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Tippett

Why not...you get insider info on Gopher Hole! News before the news!

Anyone at posted at the Airport and Deja Vu for live updates? :cool:

When you have a chance at an unemployed coach and a HS coach who are both pushing 60, you gotta do it.

Tippett is clearly average and on a downhill slope. Age doesn't help.
Curt Giles has only coached HS hockey. Aiming low for a program of the U's magnitude.

Both are local, but rival alum's FWIW.

Surely there are better options.

They guys can win. Who cares about petty "he went to my school" garbage.

Maybe the gophers should plan on a 5 or 10 year coach. It seems these coaches get old after about 7-10 years whether they are 30 or 60.....

Tippett average? Come on. He was a successful coach at one of the worst organizations in almost all professional sports. Coach of the NHL Year on 2010. He knows the NHL, He knows coaching. Kids will want to play for someone who can get them NHL ready.

Curt Giles has only coached HS hockey. Aiming low for a program of the U's magnitude.

Im also hearing Darby Hendricksons name popping up. However not from my more "Official" & "close to the program" sources

Im also hearing Darby Hendricksons name popping up. However not from my more "Official" & "close to the program" sources

I always wonder about these "official" & "close to the program" sources. Smoke screens?

If you think Dave Tippett is average you don’t know squat about coaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Average. No question.

Any guy that had one of the 32(+/-) best hockey coaching jobs on the planet for years is not an average coach. That said, he sounds like a better fit for Bucky since he's a "defense first" type coach, or so I've read.

Any guy that had one of the 32(+/-) best hockey coaching jobs on the planet for years is not an average coach. That said, he sounds like a better fit for Bucky since he's a "defense first" type coach, or so I've read.

I mean, maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea for the gophers. Have an awesome goalie AND and awesome defense? We'd be unstoppable!

I assume this Giles/Tippett boomlet will run its course in the next 24 hours.

You can forget about Darby and Tippett for the same reason - neither is close to having a bachelor’s degree. Whether people like it or not that is a requirement for this job as well as most any other college coaching job. On very rare occasions (Granato at Wisconsin) they will allow someone to complete their degree while on the job, but that is very rare and only is an option if the coach already has most of the necessary credits.

I don’t think either Darby or Tippett are close as both were only in school for 2 years, so you can cross both off the list

From someone with the least amount of inside information what does the board think of hiring a coach from one of the successful programs that came from the state. Like OSU, St. Cloud.

From a very reliable source, he is on the short list.
Hendrickson is a really good Hockey coach, and an M man. He would bring a lot of positive energy and enthusiasm to the program in my opinion. Hire him and you will have a coach that will bring some life to the program. Put him in the Alumni program to finish his degree, can be done while he is coaching. He has to have at least half the credits already towards a kinesiology or similar like degree. Darby would make an excellent Gopher head coach.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Tippett and Giles are both terrible candidates who should never sniff the Gophers job.

Likely, if it comes to this the U of MN would do the same thing Wisconsin did with Tony Granato - He would go back to school to get his degree!

http://host.madison.com/ct/sports/c...cle_fd25d8c2-6984-5616-910c-24f53bd827d0.html

You can forget about Darby and Tippett for the same reason - neither is close to having a bachelor’s degree. Whether people like it or not that is a requirement for this job as well as most any other college coaching job. On very rare occasions (Granato at Wisconsin) they will allow someone to complete their degree while on the job, but that is very rare and only is an option if the coach already has most of the necessary credits.

I don’t think either Darby or Tippett are close as both were only in school for 2 years, so you can cross both off the list

Top Bottom