Northern Michigan University’s Grant Potulny speculated as candidate for Minnesota

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the Mining Journal:

Among the numerous candidates for a replacement, the most speculation will fall on current Gophers assistant coach Mike Guentzel; St. Cloud State head coach Bob Motzko, a former assistant under Lucia; and Northern Michigan University head coach Grant Potulny, a former player and assistant for Lucia.

“Mark is going to have to make a difficult decision,” Lucia said. “I took a lot of grief because I wasn’t an alum. That’s the reality of it.”

After Doug Woog’s retirement following 14 seasons as coach, Lucia was hired away from Colorado College in 1999 to take over the storied program. The Gophers won consecutive NCAA championships in 2002 and 2003 and reached the national semifinals again in 2005, but the second half of his tenure wasn’t nearly as successful. Attendance declined, too, amid a price hike and the unpopular-with-fans move from the WCHA to the newly formed Big Ten in 2013.

“I know there’s been angst about our program joining the Big Ten, but our fans have to embrace it,” Lucia said, adding: “I’m hopeful that I can look out next year and see more people in the seats.”

http://www.miningjournal.net/sports...candidate-for-minnesota-gophers-hockey-coach/

Go Gophers!!

I don't think that a lot of fans gave him a lot of grief for not being an alum. I was disappointed that he didn't go to the U but didn't give him grief over it. Also says we have to embrace the Big Ten. I can't...the WCHA of old was an awesome league.

Top Bottom