Sid: Lou Nanne says Gophers hockey coaching job will draw top candidates

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Lou Nanne has been around the Gophers hockey program since 1959, and was an All-America there in 1963. On top of that he is one of the most respected names in hockey, having been the North Stars general manager for more than a decade and working with the U.S. Olympic team for parts of three decades.

Nanne said the Gophers head coaching job remains one of the most desirable in the country and coaches are already starting to inquire about the position after Don Lucia resigned Tuesday after 19 seasons.

“There is no question a lot of guys will want the job,” Nanne said. “I’ve even heard from one guy, not to me personally, but he let it be known that he’s been in the NHL, he’s out of it and doing other things, but he’d love to have the job coaching Minnesota. A lot of people are interested.

“There are good candidates out there. I think there’s going to be a lot coming out of the woodwork that we don’t even know about or talk about because this is such a good opportunity.”

Meanwhile, Lucia will retire with the most victories in team history and Nanne said it’s a good time to recall the positives.

“You have to celebrate all of the achievements he had. He was there 19 years and he had a lot of good results,” Nanne said. “He not only won a couple of national championships but he was in the Frozen Four [five] times, made the playoffs a number of times, he won 11 conference championships.

“I guess last but not least, he really turned out a terrific group of hockey players and citizens. His kids graduated, got a good education and he made them into fine young men. He did what good coaches do. They win and they get kids to become men and know how to behave and take the next step forward in their life.”

http://www.startribune.com/lou-nann...ching-job-will-draw-top-candidates/477576293/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom