Defiant and wounded, Rick Pitino insists he did nothing wrong — and wants back in

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per WaPo:

This is the first time he has been unemployed during the NCAA tournament since 2001 and just the second time since he graduated from college in 1974. After initially claiming he was done with coaching last fall, Pitino wants back in.

“I miss it terribly,” Pitino said. “I don’t know how to explain it in words . . . . There’s just this emptiness.”

Last Friday, over a breakfast of oatmeal, blueberries and raisins at the Four Seasons here, Pitino discussed the FBI’s investigation into college basketball for more than two hours, offering his most detailed explanation to date of the whirlwind recruitment of a player last summer that, on the heels of a prior scandal involving an assistant who hired strippers to entertain Louisville recruits, has threatened to end his career in disgrace.

Pitino allowed a reporter to review what he and his lawyers said are transcripts of hundreds of text messages he exchanged with every major figure in the alleged pay-for-play scheme, records he says he provided voluntarily to federal prosecutors in an effort to clear his name.

At turns defiant, combative and wounded, Pitino lashed out at federal prosecutors, whom he accused of including him in court documents for notoriety.

“I’m not on any wiretap. There’s not a shred of evidence that I did anything wrong . . . . They basically blew up my life . . . for one reason: publicity,” Pitino said. “I have my faults, like we all do . . . but I’ve never cheated to get a player.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...053ba58f1e4_story.html?utm_term=.59e311c9bd31

Go Gophers!!

I'm sure he could easily get a job as an assistant for a pro team or go coach high school, and if he's serious about not caring about money and just getting back into coaching he'd take it. But I see no way a D1 school would bring him on. And he better not even ask Richard to bring him on as an assistant. I just don't want that cloud over our program. He's played the ignorance card one too many times to get the benefit of the doubt from me.

I'm sure he could easily get a job as an assistant for a pro team or go coach high school, and if he's serious about not caring about money and just getting back into coaching he'd take it. But I see no way a D1 school would bring him on. And he better not even ask Richard to bring him on as an assistant. I just don't want that cloud over our program. He's played the ignorance card one too many times to get the benefit of the doubt from me.

I think there is a very good chance he will coach D1 again unless he is somehow banned from doing so, which seems highly unlikely.

The FBI sting may turn out to be poppycock.

I hope he is innocent and I hope he gets a head coaching position with some D1 school. All the rest of these guys implicated, rumored are coaching teams.

I think Clem Haskins has a better chance of being an assistant next year than Rick.

I hope he is innocent and I hope he gets a head coaching position with some D1 school. All the rest of these guys implicated, rumored are coaching teams.

Yea, but the rest of those guys don't have so many strikes against them already. He'd probably still have a job at Louisville if not for all the other incidents. Most coaches wouldn't have survived through the prostitution scandal.

Sure glad they told us what he ate for breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think he needs a hobby.
Rick has been in and around trouble his entire career, always proclaiming his innocence.
There might be a backwater school that will hire him for publicity and ticket sales but he’ll never get a top shelf gig again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think Clem Haskins has a better chance of being an assistant next year than Rick.

I would take either. Have Richie be the figurehead. If Rick Pitino would come on here as an assistant that would be a good thing for this program IMO.

Sure glad they told us what he ate for breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thought the same. How cold did it get or soggy over 2 hrs? Kinda like when I was five and ate graham crackers with milk.

He is 65, no requirement he totally retires, but hasn’t he given basketball 45-50 years? He could relax at this stage of his life. Obviously I am not him though, what drives him may be hard to see.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom