Motzko declines comment on Gophers job; talks about Lucia's legacy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the SC Times:

St. Cloud State men's head hockey coach Bob Motzko declined an opportunity to comment after Tuesday's practice on the same job opening at the University of Minnesota.

Don Lucia, 59, stepped down after 19 seasons as head coach of the Gophers and 31 seasons as a college head coach.

Any time a college head coaching job opens up, conjecture begins as to who will replace the outgoing coach. The name of Motzko, who is in his 13th season with the Huskies, comes up as people take guesses as to whom may be on a short list of candidates.

Motzko, 56, is under contract with St. Cloud State through the 2020-21 season. This season, Huskies are the No. 1 overall seed in the NCAA Division I tournament for the first time, won their third conference title and will make their eighth NCAA appearance under Motzko.

While Motzko declined to comment on the Gophers opening, he did discuss his working relationship with Lucia and being an assistant from 2001-04 at Minnesota.

"We go back to the '80s when he was coaching at (Alaska) Fairbanks and I was coaching juniors with the North Iowa Huskies," Motzko said. "Don was an excellent recruiter. He'd go on month-long (recruiting) trips at the end of the season.

"We were more hockey friends. When he was at Colorado College (1993-99), I got to know him the year I was at Denver (1993-94 as an assistant coach) ... He's one of the classiest coaches in the history of our game. A true gentleman, a true family man."

https://www.sctimes.com/story/sport...ob-talks-lucias-legacy-working-him/443661002/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom