P.J. Fleck and Vikings' QB Kirk Cousins connected through leadership

DanielHouse

Reaction score
When new Vikings quarterback Kirk Cousins toured Minneapolis during February’s Super Bowl, he was on a mission to learn from Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck.

According to Fleck, it was the other way around.

“It wasn’t an interview to interview me,” Fleck said. “I need to know probably more from him than he needs to know from me, but we share a lot of information. We both are in leadership roles – obviously, the quarterback position in the NFL is different than a head coach in college football, but leadership is leadership.”

Cousins asked for an hour of time with the second-year football coach as he toured what would eventually become his new city.

“I reached out to Coach Fleck and asked if I could sit with him for about an hour and learn from him about leadership and some of his culture building that he does,” Cousins said during his introductory press conference.

He didn’t want to just speak with Fleck. Cousins took time to share his message and story with current Gophers players. It’s something Fleck said provides positive reinforcement for the program he is building in Minnesota.

“[Kirk is] a first class guy, his message was really important to our players,” Fleck said. “[It’s unique] any time you have that number one free agent come in and speak to your team and what he said brings validation to things you’re doing inside your program from somebody who’s obliviously a very, very successful person at quarterback.”

Cousins, who signed a three-year, $84 million contract with the Vikings, will be receiving plenty of attention from local football fans next fall. With distance not being an obstacle, Cousins thinks it will be the first of many conversations he has with the Gophers’ head coach.

“I think there is plenty more where that one-hour conversation came from that I look forward to having with Coach Fleck in the future,” Cousins said. “I will enjoy being here in the Twin Cities and following them as well.”

Cousins, a former Michigan State quarterback is accustomed to life in the Big Ten. He finished his career as the Spartans’ all-time record holder in passing touchdowns (66), passing yards (9,131), completions (723). With his friend coaching the hometown Gophers, Cousins will be keeping tabs on his new hometown team.

“While I am a Spartan at heart, I am certainly excited to be in the Gophers’ backyard,” Cousins said. “I will be cheering them on as well because I have a great deal of respect for Coach Fleck and for his leadership abilities.”

All eyes will be on Cousins as he joins the Vikings on a fully-guaranteed contract. After knowing Cousins personally before their meeting, P.J. Fleck sees a quarterback with strong leadership ability and skills on the field.

“I’ve spent a lot of time with Kirk Cousins in the past,” Fleck said. “I’m really happy he’s a Viking and I think our whole city and state should be really proud to have him representing our football team.”

Nice work, Daniel!

Here's the video of Fleck's replies:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nice work, Daniel!

Here's the video of Fleck's replies:

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That still image is a bit deceptive as to the tone of the interview ;)

Top Bottom