Misc: Coaching Changes

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/032018aaa.html

Not the B1G; but Joanne Boyle retiring from Virginia will set off a chain reaction.

Charlottesville, Va. - Virginia head women’s basketball coach Joanne Boyle announced today (March 20) she is retiring from coaching due to a family matter. Boyle has led the Virginia program for the past seven seasons, compiling a 129-98 record. During 16 seasons as a head coach at Richmond, California and UVA, she compiled a career record of 333-191.

“The person who is the head coach of this program needs to fully commit themselves and give their all to these deserving young women,” Boyle said. “Due to a family matter that may require more time away from the program, I am not able to dedicate the time I need to our team. For that reason, it is best for me to step aside.”

Boyle led Virginia to a 19-14 record this season and the Cavaliers advanced to the second round of the NCAA Championships as a No. 10-seed in the tournament. It marked the sixth time Boyle has directed a team to the NCAA tournament. She did so once at Richmond and four times in six seasons at California.

http://pittsburghpanthers.com/news/...nces-womens-basketball-leadership-change.aspx

Pitt didn't turn out well for the former Lynx head coach.

University of Pittsburgh Director of Athletics Heather Lyke announced today that Suzie McConnell-Serio will not return as the Panthers' head women's basketball coach.

McConnell-Serio recently completed her fifth season with the Panthers, compiling a 67-87 overall record and 22-58 ACC mark during that span.

Raoul tweeted report that Stollings is leading Texas Tech candidate...
(Edited. Not sure what happened there.)

Raptly twweted report that Stollings is leading Texas Tech candidate...

Atticus Finch
‏@wbballhoopscoop
Texas Tech: announcement tomorrow!? JD Gravina and Mike Bradbury along with Marlene Stollings. Hearing they are leaning to Bradbury. Stay tuned.

Atticus Finch
‏@wbballhoopscoop
Texas Tech: announcement tomorrow!? JD Gravina and Mike Bradbury along with Marlene Stollings. Hearing they are leaning to Bradbury. Stay tuned.

An insider at Texas Tech says its a done deal with Stallings. They won’t hire a guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An insider at Texas Tech says its a done deal with Stallings. They won’t hire a guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like you were right.

Atticus Finch
‏@wbballhoopscoop
1 hour ago
Texas Tech: look for announcement soon. Look for Minnesota to open up shortly. Hearing some wanted Bradbury, some wanted Stollings. Looks like Stollings wins out.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/04/11/clemson-close-to-naming-a-new-womens-basketball-coach/

Clemson's head coaching search with some names.

The Clemson Insider learned through several sources that former University of Florida head coach Amanda Butler is among the finalist considered for the job.

A couple of sources told TCI Wednesday night that it was their understanding earlier in the week Butler was the favorite to replace Audra Smith, who was relieved of her duties as head women’s basketball coach at Clemson on March 27.

TCI has also learned Clemson interviewed current Elon head coach Charlotte Smith, as well as current Lander head coach Kevin Pederson.

Two sources told us Butler interviewed at Clemson the weekend of the Final Four and was given a tour of the basketball facility at Littlejohn Coliseum and the Clemson campus.

Have the Gophers ever hired a male head coach for the women’s basketball team... not that I want them to this time. A male is my second choice though.
Nope. I think it was in one of those stories from the Lubbock newspaper, comparing the two programs, where it was noted that neither has had a male head coach.

http://www.virginiasports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/041618aaa.html

Virginia hires Hall of Famer, Tina Thompson, as head coach.

Virginia athletics director Carla Williams announced today (April 16) Tina Thompson as head coach of the Cavaliers' women's basketball program. Thompson comes to Virginia after serving on the coaching staff at Texas the past three seasons. Prior to entering the coaching profession, Thompson had a college and professional career that gained her entry into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame as a member of the 2018 induction class.

Thompson's background is one of the most impressive in the history of women's basketball. She retired as the all-time leading scorer in WNBA history, a two-time Olympic gold medalist, a four-time WNBA champion and was the first player drafted in the history of the WNBA.

Thompson becomes the fifth head coach in UVA's 44-year history.

"I am thrilled to have Tina Thompson as our new women's basketball coach," Williams said. "She is one of the best to ever play the game and she has experienced tremendous success at all levels of the game. I am looking forward to working with her and supporting her vision for Virginia basketball.

"She has a strong commitment to and passion for developing confident, successful women. As a coach, she has proven to be a tremendous teacher and recruiter. I'm excited for the future of our program."

Thompson joined Karen Aston's staff at Texas in May of 2015 as an assistant coach. She was promoted to associate head coach last September. During her tenure at Texas, she focused on the development of the Longhorns' post players. Texas recorded a 28-7 record in 2017-18, reaching NCAA Sweet 16 in Kansas City. The Longhorns went 84-21 (.800) during her three seasons in Austin. The 2016-17 Texas team reached the Sweet 16 of the NCAA Tournament and the 2015-16 squad compiled a 31-5 mark on the way to a NCAA Elite Eight appearance.

http://goterriers.com/news/2018/4/17/marisa-moseley-04-named-head-coach-of-bu-womens-basketball.aspx

Former Gopher assistant, Marisa Mosely, is named Boston University head coach.

Marisa Moseley '04, a standout on Boston University's 2003 NCAA Tournament team and a nine-year assistant coach at UConn, has returned to Commonwealth Avenue to become the Terriers' head coach of women's basketball, director of athletics Drew Marrochello announced on Tuesday.

Moseley becomes the eighth head coach – and first alumna – in program history. She will be formally introduced on Wednesday (April 18) at 9 a.m. in the Francis D. Burke Club Room at Agganis Arena.

"This is a banner day for Boston University women's basketball," Marrochello said. "As we embark on a new and promising era, we are incredibly excited to welcome Marisa back to her alma mater to lead the program she played for.

"Marisa emerged from an outstanding group of candidates, and it became clear that she would be a perfect fit for this team and our department. Her charisma and enthusiasm are contagious and her coaching pedigree speaks for itself. We are proud that she has chosen to be a Terrier again."

A two-year captain during her playing days with the Terriers, Moseley has been on Geno Auriemma's staff in Storrs since 2009, helping the Huskies claim five national championships (2010, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016) while reaching the Final Four all nine seasons.

http://pittsburghpanthers.com/news/...-named-pitt-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Lance White, a Texas Tech alum and one of the touted candidates for the Texas Tech position before it went to Stollings, takes the head coaching job at Pitt.

White comes to Pitt after spending the past 15 years at Florida State, where he helped the Seminoles to a 350-145 (.707) record, including 12 seasons with 20 wins or more. Since White's arrival at FSU, 10 players were selected in the WNBA Draft, eight Seminoles earned ACC All-Defensive team honors and 37 earned all-conference awards. He helped the Florida State reach the NCAA Tournament in 13 of the past 14 years, while the team won at least one NCAA Tournament game in its past 15 appearances. For his standout coaching efforts during the 2016-17 season, White was named the Women's Basketball Coaches Association National Assistant (WBCA) Coach of the Year.

White came to Florida State from Texas Tech where he spent 11 seasons, including five years as an assistant coach with the Lady Raiders' top-10 program under legendary head coach Marsha Sharp. With White on staff, Texas Tech won three Big 12 championships and advanced to seven consecutive NCAA Tournaments, including five Sweet 16 and two Elite Eight appearances. He was a student assistant on Tech's 1993 national championship team and a graduate assistant coach for two seasons before being elevated to a full-time coach in 1998.

http://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=ncw&id=23441797

In the "it should be noted catagory", Jim Foster is retiring.

Chattanooga's Jim Foster is retiring after a four-decade career in which he won more than 900 games. He's the only women's basketball coach to earn NCAA Tournament bids with four different schools.

The school said in a statement Tuesday the 69-year-old coach wanted to spend more time with his family.

Foster had a 903-347 record. He went 120-40 at Chattanooga the last five years after going 248-126 at St. Joseph's, 256-99 at Vanderbilt and 279-82 at Ohio State.

The only other women's basketball coaches with at least 900 wins are former Tennessee coach Pat Summitt, Stanford's Tara VanDerveer, Connecticut's Geno Auriemma, North Carolina's Sylvia Hatchell, Bentley's Barbara Sevens, Rutgers' C. Vivian Stringer and former Texas coach Jody Conradt.

https://athletics.macalester.edu/ne...-findlay-as-head-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

Macalester College Director of Athletics Kim Chandler has announced the hiring of Pamela Findlay as the new head women's basketball coach at Macalester. Findlay spent the last two seasons as the head coach at Lewis & Clark College in Portland, Ore.

"I am so grateful and honored for this opportunity to join the Macalester community," Findlay said. "Kim Chandler is an amazing leader and has created a truly special culture within the athletic department. I am so excited to continue building on the strong foundation that Coach (Kelly) Roysland established over the past four years. I can already tell that the student-athletes have a lot of energy, commitment, and passion for basketball and academics."

At Lewis & Clark, Findlay inherited a team that had won just three games the year prior to her arrival and had not made the conference playoffs in three seasons. In her first year, Findlay led the Pioneers to 16 victories, the largest improvement in Division III that year, and a berth in the Northwest Conference Tournament. This past season, the Pios went 14-12 and qualified for the conference tourney for the second straight year, giving Findlay a 30-22 record in two seasons at Lewis & Clark.

Prior to her time at Lewis & Clark, Findlay served as an assistant coach at Washington & Lee University in Lexington, Va., where she was involved with recruiting, developing the team's fitness program and scouting. Findlay began her coaching career as a graduate assistant at Bemidji State University.

In Findlay's Air Force bio it notes her favorite WNBA team is the Lynx and favorite player is Augustus. She will fit in nicely at Macalester with its high academic standards as her bio also notes 4.0 at the Air Force Academy. As we know from the bios when the Gophers have played service academy teams, those ladies do NOT have easy majors!

Former Gopher Crystal Flint new Cretin-Derham Hall girls coach.

https://siusalukis.com/news/2018/7/20/jody-adams-birch-named-womens-basketball-assistant-coach.aspx

She's back. Jody Adams was named an assistant at Southern Illinois. SIU athletic director, Jerry Kill, said,

"We're excited to bring Jody back to Carbondale," SIU Director of Athletics Jerry Kill said. "Everyone I have talked to has had nothing but good things to say about her. I spoke with (Wichita State head men's basketball coach) Gregg Marshall and he said she was as good a women's coach that he has ever been around and that we are lucky to get her. Any one that has worked under Pat Summit knows a lot about basketball. She is a coach I'm very familiar with who comes from a great pedigree and is a proven winner."

Jerry's "everyone" presumably topped out at one or two people.

From the release:

From 1997-00, Adams-Birch served as an assistant coach at the University of Minnesota. She was the Gophers' recruiting coordinator and helped Minnesota sign a top-5 national recruiting class prior to the 2000-01 campaign, a class that included current Minnesota head coach Lindsay Whalen.

Top Bottom