STrib: Who replaces Don Lucia? Here are some head coach possibilities for Gophers

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

THREE FROM THE STATE

Scott Sandelin, Minnesota Duluth head coach

Bob Motzko, St. Cloud State head coach

Mike Hastings, Minnesota State Mankato head coach

TWO FROM THE CURRENT STAFF

Mike Guentzel, Gophers associate head coach

Scott Bell, Gophers assistant coach

MINNESOTA TIES

Grant Potulny, Northern Michigan head coach

Tom Ward, Buffalo Sabres assistant coach

Todd Richards, Tampa Bay Lightning assistant coach

Steve Rohlik, Ohio State head coach

Robb Stauber, U.S. women’s Olympic coach

Ben Barr, associate head coach, UMass-Amherst

FROM AROUND THE COUNTRY

Jim Montgomery, Denver head coach

Norm Bazin, UMass-Lowell head coach

Nate Leaman, Providence head coach

http://www.startribune.com/who-repl...h-possibilities-for-gophers-search/477422793/

Go Gophers!!

It like they went on the boards and listed every name they saw. Sandelin? Montgomery? Surreeeeee

I would like to see Tom Ward get it, plenty of good coaches to choose from.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I live in Colorado and my son is a Freshman at the U. I have followed DU for over 20 years and never understood why they parted ways with George Gwozdecky. He coached them to 2 Natties! He is currently coaching a high school team in Colorado. What about him? I know he played at Wisconsin, but can he be forgiven that transgression?

I live in Colorado and my son is a Freshman at the U. I have followed DU for over 20 years and never understood why they parted ways with George Gwozdecky. He coached them to 2 Natties! He is currently coaching a high school team in Colorado. What about him? I know he played at Wisconsin, but can he be forgiven that transgression?

A few years ago, maybe, but we'd have to be pretty far down the list to hire a HS hockey coach that hasn't coached college in five years, no matter his history.

Go Gophers!!

A few years ago, maybe, but we'd have to be pretty far down the list to hire a HS hockey coach that hasn't coached college in five years, no matter his history.

Go Gophers!!

Yea, he was fired from DU in 2013 and then spent 2 years as an assistant coach in the NHL. He hasn't coached at the college or higher level in 3 years. Maybe he is done and this is his choice. He did move back to Colorado after leaving the Lightning. I was just VERY impressed not only with the quality and work ethic of his teams on the ice but the character of his players off the ice. He ran a very good program.

Oh and he is 64 so perhaps too old.

Top Bottom