Who do you want as the next Gopher hockey coach?

Who do you want as the next Gopher hockey coach?

• Mike Guentzel

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Grant Potulny

Votes: 28 41.8%
  • Bob Motzko

Votes: 17 25.4%
  • Robb Stauber

Votes: 8 11.9%
  • Scott Sandelin

Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Other

Votes: 9 13.4%

• Total voters
I did not vote in the poll because I don't know who any of these people are.

Judging by the results though it seems there isn't a clear cut favorite among GH posters though...

If you don't know who Potulny, Motzko, Guentzel, Stauber, etc. are, I can only assume you don't follow college/Gopher hockey at all.

Good luck with that. This University is notoriously cheap, er thrifty when it comes to spending on Athletics. Getting the Athletes Village built used up a majority of arm twisting for the next five years.

Alumni need to speak out loudly about the importance of athletics to the university. Unfortunately, so many Alumni leave the state that this never raises up to anything more than a low rumble.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Like it or not, the University has to work with in constraints many other major universities don't. Minnesota is not a "sports-above-all-else" culture as some other places are and that's often reflected in coaching hires and the like. In a sense, they have ponied up to get and keep coaches that have shown potential (Pitino and Fleck), but to expect they will be like Alabama in the sense of grabbing "the guy" whenever they want, is probably unrealistic (as it is for most schools).

I would say, if any coaching job at the U should be "the King of the Hill," it's hockey.

I don't want anyone from the current staff.

Potulny would be awesome and I think he is an up and coming coach.

Blue Line would be interesting. He got the women over that Canada hump.

Motzko, I'm not so sure of. Stauber (Blue Line) and Grant are family. We've always done well with family.

Like it or not, the University has to work with in constraints many other major universities don't. Minnesota is not a "sports-above-all-else" culture as some other places are and that's often reflected in coaching hires and the like. In a sense, they have ponied up to get and keep coaches that have shown potential (Pitino and Fleck), but to expect they will be like Alabama in the sense of grabbing "the guy" whenever they want, is probably unrealistic (as it is for most schools).

I would say, if any coaching job at the U should be "the King of the Hill," it's hockey.

Well, the popular opinion is that no program has backslid more than the Men's Hockey program, so now would be the time to step up and do something.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Trent Klatt.

Motzko is 5-7 in the NCAA’s with 4 losses by 3 goals or more.

By comparison Scott Sandelin is 13-6 in the NCAA’s with a National title.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guentzel is average, Motzko and Sandelin have no reason to leave their current positions, Potulny and Stauber are unproven. This poll is defunct. Hendrickson or Richardson would be better options, for starters.

Guentzel is average, Motzko and Sandelin have no reason to leave their current positions, Potulny and Stauber are unproven. This poll is defunct. Hendrickson or Richardson would be better options, for starters.

Why is Hendrickson a better option? It seems like he is less proven than Potulny and arguably Stauber.

Potulny is my first choice. Get him on the way up and he'll be here for the next 25 years. Richards would probably be my second choice, but I'm not sure he has his college degree which would likely be a non-starter

I'm curious as to why you say that. Stauber has coached as an assistant at college level, and most recently coached the US Women's national team to Gold in the 2017 World Championship and the 2018 Olympics as their head coach. That's no small task even with the all women's hockey talent we have here in the US, since they had to beat the women's hockey powerhouse that is Canada both times.

Grant is not yet ready to run the U program, it would be similar to the BB situation where you are letting a coach learn on the job. With BB it was the only way to get shot at "the next great" coach, but with hockey we have the clout to poach a very good coach. Grant could still get his chance later down the line.
I like the idea of an NHLer that would give the players a sense of urgency in fighting for the puck, but with a wide open Minnesota skating style.

Posted in another thread, but how about George Gwozdecky who lead Denver University to two Natties. I followed his teams for over a decade before they parted ways. He is currently coaching a high school in Colorado.

A friend's son played for Gwozdecky at DU and tells me that he ethical/honest and a heck of a coach. He can apparently appear standoffish, but has the kids best interests in mind at all times. I guess the reason that he's coaching HS in Colorado is that he really likes the state. Sounds like someone to consider.

I'm curious as to why you say that. Stauber has coached as an assistant at college level, and most recently coached the US Women's national team to Gold in the 2017 World Championship and the 2018 Olympics as their head coach. That's no small task even with the all women's hockey talent we have here in the US, since they had to beat the women's hockey powerhouse that is Canada both times.

From my understanding his only college coaching experience is goalie coach for the U. In addition, his only head/asst coaching experience is not only for international hockey, but for women's teams. Neither are similar to Men's college hockey. I'd support him coaching a D-I program, but I don't think he's the answer for the U's vacancy. The U should be able to cherry pick from elite, proven coaches. This isn't similar to the football team who's looking for a deal on an up-and-comer.

The fact that he hasn't been the head coach of a D-I Men's team is enough to put him 2nd tier, if not lower.

Grant is not yet ready to run the U program, it would be similar to the BB situation where you are letting a coach learn on the job. With BB it was the only way to get shot at "the next great" coach, but with hockey we have the clout to poach a very good coach. Grant could still get his chance later down the line.
I like the idea of an NHLer that would give the players a sense of urgency in fighting for the puck, but with a wide open Minnesota skating style.

Darby.

Gwozdecky would be a great fit. I watched a good deal of DU hockey when he coached and his teams were always prepared and fun to watch. He is coaching at the best sports high school in Colorado (football, basketball, baseball, lacrosse and he just had them in the hockey championship). He goes to my church and I have never seen a smile on his face, very stoic

Gwozdecky would be a great fit. I watched a good deal of DU hockey when he coached and his teams were always prepared and fun to watch. He is coaching at the best sports high school in Colorado (football, basketball, baseball, lacrosse and he just had them in the hockey championship). He goes to my church and I have never seen a smile on his face, very stoic

He's 64.

Not surprising Potulny is ahead on here. Football and basketball fans are used to the U being a stepping stone job for younger coaches. Hockey can pull an older coach in the prime of his career. Not saying which way they'll go. GPL has a poll right now, too, with Guentzel and Motzko leading.

Sounds like Guentzel will get strong consideration.

Not surprising Potulny is ahead on here. Football and basketball fans are used to the U being a stepping stone job for younger coaches. Hockey can pull an older coach in the prime of his career. Not saying which way they'll go. GPL has a poll right now, too, with Guentzel and Motzko leading.

To the contrary. Let's just take a look at the history of football coaches since the 1970's: Cal Stoll (fired after 5 yrs), Joe Salem (fired after 4 to 5 years), Lou Holtz (bolted for Notre Dame after 2 seasons), John Gutekunst (fired after 5 years), Jim Wacker ( fired after probably 5 yrs or so), Glenn Mason (fired after 10 yrs), Tim Brewster (fired after 3.5 years), Jerry Kill (resigned for health reasons after 4 plus years), Tracy Claeys (fired after 1 yr.) P.J. Fleck (current coach).

All except for Fleck were hardly spring chickens, and ONLY Lou Holtz used the U as a stepping stone. We, as fans are always paranoid about getting a young successful coach who will bolt for greener pastures in a few years, but the alternative is to have a litany of coaches who DON'T succeed here and their head coaching careers end with a firing. The U needs to attract and then learn to KEEP successful coaches whether they be young or old.

To the contrary. Let's just take a look at the history of football coaches since the 1970's: Cal Stoll (fired after 5 yrs), Joe Salem (fired after 4 to 5 years), Lou Holtz (bolted for Notre Dame after 2 seasons), John Gutekunst (fired after 5 years), Jim Wacker ( fired after probably 5 yrs or so), Glenn Mason (fired after 10 yrs), Tim Brewster (fired after 3.5 years), Jerry Kill (resigned for health reasons after 4 plus years), Tracy Claeys (fired after 1 yr.) P.J. Fleck (current coach).

All except for Fleck were hardly spring chickens, and ONLY Lou Holtz used the U as a stepping stone. We, as fans are always paranoid about getting a young successful coach who will bolt for greener pastures in a few years, but the alternative is to have a litany of coaches who DON'T succeed here and their head coaching careers end with a firing. The U needs to attract and then learn to KEEP successful coaches whether they be young or old.

The big difference between Hockey and Football is MINNESOTA is the nirvana of Hockey recruiting and the program has a storied history not nearly as old as our 7 time national champion football team. Where Minnesota football is the Sahara of football recruiting and we struggle to even get the interest of the few diamonds coming out of the state. Basketball is much closer to producing quality recruiting depth in the state like hockey but doesn't have the prestigious pull to keep the 5 star recruits at home......YET!

There is no reason for the Hockey team not to rebound quickly. Although it's a lot harder now that we have Mankato and St. Cloud to recruit against instead of just UMD in state. Plus, The former "Fighting Sioux" have always competed well in recruiting against Minnesota.

Salem and Gutekunst were both 40/41 when hired by the Gophers.

Need to add more coaches to your poll...Curt Giles, Darby Hendrickson, Dave Tippett

They wouldn’t do bad by taking Hastings from Minnesota State. I think he’d be a better pick than Motzko, and there’s no way they’re getting Sandelin. Big decision for Coyle.

I assume it won't be motzco. If one of the gripes about Lucia is choking in the tourney and losing to lower seeded teams, don't know why we would go with the guy who just choked away a 1 seed to the Atlantic hockey champ.

I was on Gopher Puck Live and I was shocked at the support Guentzel was receiving. Perhaps he was hindered by Lucia's direction. Not sure if I'd want to risk it though to hire him.

I was on Gopher Puck Live and I was shocked at the support Guentzel was receiving. Perhaps he was hindered by Lucia's direction. Not sure if I'd want to risk it though to hire him.

NOOOOOOOOOOooooooo! Not Guentzel! I am sure he thinks he is the next in line, and if the team was on a roll, of course he would be the favorite. But we are on a downhill trend with obvious coaching problems in his area of control. If Guentzel was the answer then we would not be having our current problems. Need new blood through out the staff. Also, if Guentzel was the answer he would already be a HC at another major program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mike Hastings
Bob Motzko
Nate Leaman

Anyone of these three

Hastings has not won a game in the tournament. I think he just signed a long contract as well.

Watching UMD in the championship game has me wondering.......why was Scott Sandelin so low in the poll for who we wanted as our next head coach?

Watching UMD in the championship game has me wondering.......why was Scott Sandelin so low in the poll for who we wanted as our next head coach?

Because he would have never come.

Top Bottom