Other B1G Teams 2018-19 Offseason

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
https://www.thelantern.com/2018/03/...-state-in-2018-19-with-wildly-different-team/

A look at the Buckeye's roster:

Not only will the Ohio State women’s basketball team be without senior guard Kelsey Mitchell next season, but it will also lose four other key contributors to graduation in forwards Stephanie Mavunga and Alexa Hart, and guards Linnae Harper and Asia Doss.

Luckily for the Buckeyes, redshirt junior guard Sierra Calhoun and redshirt junior forward Makayla Waterman both said they will be returning to Ohio State for the 2018-19 season.

“I’m going to stay here for my fifth year,” Waterman said after her team’s loss to Central Michigan in the NCAA tournament. “I’ve got a lot of things like studying abroad, going on service trips this summer with the university.”

Never a primary scorer, Waterman served as a facilitating forward this season. She averaged just 3.5 points and 3.9 rebounds across 18.2 minutes per game in 32 games. Next season, she will be counted on to take a larger offensive role with the loss of Mavunga, the team’s top frontcourt scoring threat.

Calhoun also affirmed her intention to return next season after the loss to the Chippewas, answering with a simple “yes” before the question was even completed...

Next year, the Buckeyes will add Najah Queenland, a transfer from Pacific who sat out this season and will be in her fourth collegiate season. In 2016-17, her final season at Pacific, she averaged 4.8 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.0 assists in 22.1 minutes per game. With Harper, Mitchell and Doss graduating, the 5-foot-10 Queenland could fill the role as a primary ball-handler.

Ohio State will also add a crop of freshmen. It has three 2018 prospects — four-star guard Janai Crooms, three-star post Aaliyah Patty and four-star Hungarian forward Dorka Juhasz — committed to the program. Despite lacking collegiate experience, the trio could have an impact on the team given the graduations.

Redshirt junior guard Chelsea Mitchell, the sister of Kelsey, took the semester off to focus on academics and her status on next season’s team is unclear. Former walk-ons Savitha Jayaraman and Karlie Cronin will return, but neither are expected to have major upticks in their responsibilities...

...Not only will it be weird for Waterman, but the Buckeyes will once again be dealing with a smaller-than-usual roster.

If Ohio State does not add any transfers or recruits for next season and Chelsea Mitchell returns, it will have just 10 players. And without Kelsey Mitchell, Mavunga, Doss, Harper and Hart, the Buckeyes might be in for a tough rebuilding year.

http://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sp...-expectations-after-gritty-seasons/436369002/

Even as the tears flowed inside a dense locker room, many of the Hawkeyes could peer through the sadness and look ahead.

The view is quite nice.

Although Saturday’s result — a 76-70 loss to Creighton in the NCAA Tournament’s first round — stuck a sour ending on a solid campaign, Iowa’s ability to fight through adversity and return to the Big Dance has momentum flowing into what should be an even stronger year next season.

“We definitely gained a lot of great experience to come back next year,” sophomore Kathleen Doyle said. “We all want to be back here next year and, obviously, go further than the first round. We’ll all be really hungry and motivated all season long, so it’ll be fun.”

All but two Hawkeyes will be back next season, including four current starters and sidelined starter Tania Davis (torn ACL). Iowa must replace its “glue” in senior forward Chase Coley, but Lisa Bluder will still have a wealth of weapons at her disposal — all of them now with high-stakes postseason experience...

...Pivotal developments exist elsewhere as well. Iowa’s trio of young guards — redshirt freshman Alexis Sevillian and sophomores Doyle and Meyer — proved capable of shouldering extensive responsibility.

That unit sputtered Saturday, but all three gained valuable experience in their first Big Dance run. Weaving a healthy Davis back into that group will be a huge boost as well, given how thin Iowa was at guard once she went down. The 5-foot-3 senior-to-be should enter her final year determined and motivated for a strong ending.

Forward Hannah Stewart, who had 10 points off the bench in Saturday’s loss, will join Davis and Gustafson in that senior group. Stewart will likely slide into Coley starting spot.

All those ingredients combined, it’s easy to see why Bluder was optimistic even amid defeat....

...Two areas needing growth are turnovers and reliability around Gustafson. The Hawkeyes averaged 16.2 turnovers per game, which ranked 12th in the Big Ten and 211th of 349 Division-I teams.

Gustafson also averaged more points in losses than wins and had some her most dominant outings in defeat. That falls on Iowa’s guard play, which will need more consistency over long stretches of the season.

The Hawkeyes will also add four signees: 6-foot-1 forward Logan Cook, 6-foot-3 forward Monika Czinano, 6-foot guard Kate Martin and 5-foot-9 guard Tomi Taiwo. Iowa doesn’t need any of them to turn into a freshman sensation overnight, but depth is always imperative.

http://www.wiscnews.com/sports/coll...cle_fd644498-41da-5ac3-9507-d8aad20d3883.html

Sasha Palmer, assistant coach and recruiting coordinator for the University of Wisconsin women’s basketball team for the past three years, is leaving the program.

Coach Jonathan Tsipis confirmed Monday that Palmer’s contract is not being renewed and that he has begun a search for her successor...

...Palmer, a Watertown native, was the only holdover from Bobbie Kelsey’s staff when Tsipis took over the program in 2016. She had worked one season under Kelsey after serving as recruiting coordinator at Syracuse. The Orange went 45-20 in her two seasons there, but the lure of returning home proved too strong to resist when Kelsey offered her the opportunity.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/i...he_highest-paid_rutgers_athletics_employ.html

3. C. Vivian Stringer (women's basketball head coach)

In 2016, Stringer was the fourth-highest paid employee behind Ash and two professors associated with the Rutgers medical school. In 2017, she ranked 23rd overall and third among athletics employees at $919,010.

That salary was a slight decrease from her 2016 gross income ($935,767).

Last October, Stringer signed a four-year contract extension that will guarantee $3.4 million in salary from the university through the 2020-21 season.

While her current base salary is $775,000, she is set to receive a $50,000 raise on July 1.

http://lacrossetribune.com/sports/c...cle_bc5c45ac-6e8f-5d28-ba34-c5e027bfd309.html

Badger recruiting:

To that end Tsipis has been on a whirlwind trek that has taken him from small-town Wisconsin to the Czech Republic in search of tournament-level talent.

The first leg of the journey was a quick run to Bloomington-Normal for the Illinois state tournament, which featured 2020 post prospect Angela Dugalic of Maine West and 2019 power forward Camryn Taylor of Peoria Richwoods, among others.

Then it was off to Israel for two days to watch a 2018 shooting guard prospect from the Tel Aviv area. Then he went to Prague for a day to make a home visit with 6-foot-1 wing Julie Pospisilova, who would commit to UW a couple of days later.

After a quick return to Israel for a home visit with the shooting guard in Herzliya, he headed back for a quick stop at home before going off for the last two days of the WIAA state tournament in Ashwaubenon.

Following a Sunday at home, he had home visits with guard Jordan King of Rockton (Illinois) Hononegah and with Taylor in Peoria on successive days. Then it was up to the Minneapolis area for two home visits before going to Monroe last Friday to see point guard Sydney Hilliard, who committed to UW the next day...

...Tsipis already has received four commitments for the 2019 class — 5-11 wing Tara Stauffacher of Beaver Dam, 6-3 post Sara Stapleton of Centennial High School in Circle Pines, Minnesota, Hilliard and Pospisilova. He’s still looking to add to that class, hoping to land a true power forward and perhaps another perimeter player. McKenna Warnock, Monona Grove’s prolific guard, is believed to still be a high priority.

While more far-flung than typical, Tsipis’ hectic travel schedule is the result of a change in the recruiting calendar in which the home visit time for the junior class was shifted from September to March this season.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio...transfer-carly-stantoro-commits-to-ohio-state

Ohio State's 2018 team is starting to take shape as the Buckeyes added another commitment on Monday, this time from Bowling Green transfer Carly Santoro, her father announced on Twitter.

Santoro, a Bellevue native, will play her final season of eligibility at Ohio State as a graduate transfer, meaning she will be eligible to play immediately.

The 5-10 guard led Bowling Green in both points (12.5) and rebounds (8.7) during her junior season, giving the Buckeyes versatility similar to that of Linnae Harper these past two seasons.

Santoro becomes the fifth member of Ohio State's 2018 class, joining four-star freshman guard Jannai Crooms, three-star freshman forward Aaliyah Patty, Pacific graduate transfer guard Najah Queenland and four-star international forward Dorka Juhasz.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Not specifically about the B1G; but four of the twelve 2016 ESPNW top twenty five transfers were from B1G teams-two each from Maryland and Ohio State.

http://www.wlfi.com/content/news/Gray-to-Transfer-from-Purdue-Womens-Basketball-479228653.html

Sophomore guard Miracle Gray has decided to transfer from the Purdue women’s basketball program and was granted her release by head coach Sharon Versyp on Monday. The 5-foot-7, Georgia native appeared in 54 games over the last two seasons, including 33-of-34 games during the 2017-18 season.

“We wish Miracle the best of luck in her future endeavors, academically and athletically, and thank her for all the hard work over the past two seasons,” said Versyp.

Gray averaged eight minutes per game during her sophomore campaign, including notable performances against Saint Mary’s, Minnesota and Miami (Ohio). She posted career-high numbers in every statistical category in her second season, including four assists at Indiana and a pair of steals vs. Eastern Washington.

http://scarletknights.com/news/2018/4/11/womens-basketball-desiree-keeling-to-transfer.aspx

Keeling to transfer. She played 4 minutes with no points and one foul for Rutgers in the OT win over Minnesota.

Rutgers junior center/forward Desiree Keeling will transfer from the Scarlet Knight women's basketball program, it was announced by head coach C. Vivian Stringer.

Keeling, a native of Roanoke, Virginia, appeared in 22 games as a junior in 2017-18.

In her career at Rutgers, Keeling averaged 10.4 minutes per game averaging 2.3 points and 2.7 rebounds. She netted a career-high of 21 points that came in a double overtime contest with James Madison in December of 2016. Keeling also collected a double-double later that month against Temple with 10 points and 14 rebounds.

So much for the original post meaning truth, Sierra Calhoun is grad transferring from Ohio State. I think the Buckeyes lost their entire starting lineup with her leaving.

So much for the original post meaning truth, Sierra Calhoun is grad transferring from Ohio State. I think the Buckeyes lost their entire starting lineup with her leaving.

Can McGuff be far behind?

http://uwbadgers.com/news/2018/4/19/kayla-tetschlag-named-assistant-womens-basketball-coach.aspx

The Badgers hire Kayla Tetschlag to fill assistant coaching position.

Wisconsin native Kayla Tetschlag has been named an assistant coach and the co-recruiting coordinator for the University of Wisconsin women's basketball program, head coach Jonathan Tsipis announced on Thursday.

"I'm thrilled for the opportunity to join Coach Tsipis and his staff in my home state," said Tetschlag. "I look forward to using my past experiences as a player and coach to help this program continue to build and progress. I believe in Coach Tsipis' values and vision, and I'm excited for the future of Wisconsin women's basketball"

Tetschlag, who received a 2018 Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Thirty Under 30 award, comes to Wisconsin after two years as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at the University of South Dakota. She was in charge of USD's team defense and assisted with game preparation in addition to her player development duties.

"Kayla is a rising star in the coaching profession who has strong ties in the Midwest, especially in Wisconsin," Tsipis said. "She had a tremendous playing career in high school in Sheboygan, followed that with NCAA Sweet 16 experience at Green Bay, and continued success playing overseas.

https://wbbblog.com/2018/04/05/womens-basketball-transfers-spring-summer-2018/

The updated B1G transfer list:

Illinois
• Cydnee Kinslow, 6-2 RS SO forward, Oakley, CA
• Addaya Moore, 5-11 FR guard, Granite City, IL
• Jnaya Walker, 6-1 FR forward, Bolingbrook, IL

Michigan
• KeAsja Peace, 6-3 SO forward, Toledo, OH

Ohio State
• Sierra Calhoun, 6-0 RS JR guard, Brooklyn, NY (grad xfer)

Penn State
• De’Janae Boykin, 6-2 RS SO forward, Springdale, MD → West Virginia

Purdue
• Miracle Gray, 5-6 SO guard, Stone Mountain, GA

Rutgers
• Desiree Keeling, 6-2 JR forward/center, Roanoke, VA → North Carolina Central

Wisconsin
• Roichelle Marble, 5-7 RS JR guard, Des Moines, IA (grad xfer) → Colorado State

• Mikayla Hayes, 6-2 FR forward, Brooklyn Park, MN

I guess this makes her official. Anybody interested in her? We usually get our share of transfer backs.
I was initially intrigued until I saw her stats and then I was like.... well maybe not.

I’m curious where Carmen Grande is headed.

I’m curious where Carmen Grande is headed.

I was wondering that also. I watched more than a few Ball State games and damn she was fun to watch. But we already have Bell who is a better all around player. Still, assuming we stay with a four guard offense, we could certainly find a spot for Grande. You can never have too many point guards.

I was more curious on whether she would head to Notre Dame (same state?) They always seem to be hurting for a proper PG.

I disagree about can’t have enough PG’s. I want Paige to see that we need her.
Also, I feel bad about the players who come here with certain expectations because maybe the coach makes certain assurances, and then that player falls down the totem pole because they add a better player. Probably happens all the time and it might be part of the explanation for the high transfer rates, but it’s really unfortunate for the players.

You can never have enough point guards, as long as some of them can shoot.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/a-couple-notes.145230/

Catching up with Purdue:

Lamina Cooper's status is uncertain.

The junior-to-be missed two portions of the season, including to end the year, with an undisclosed illness. Sharon Versyp said Thursday that Purdue will know in the summer whether Cooper, Purdue's best wing defender and a double-figure scorer, will be back. "Absolutely, we'd welcome her back with open arms," Versyp said. "She just needs to get healthy. If that happens, fantastic."

Also, Purdue hosted Florida transfer Mikayla Hayes for a visit. The 6-2 forward, a Minnesota native, signed with the Gators as part of their 2016 recruiting class, which included Karissa McLaughlin. But after Florida's coaching change, McLaughlin was granted her release while Hayes played her freshman year at Florida, averaging two points and about 1.9 rebounds in 10 minutes per game. She would likely have to sit out a season after transfer, although she might try to build an argument for a hardship waiver.

In the you-could-have-knocked-me-over-with-a-feather department, Kelsey Mitchell has completed her service to the Ohio States Buckeyes. And, all of a sudden, the Buckeyes have an assistant coaching vacancy. I'll just go ahead and assume that the NCAA will take no notice of what was clearly the Buckeyes paying in the neighborhood of $300,000 to acquire Ms Mitchell (in addition to the scholarships for her and her sister). Karmically, the series of OSU underperformances in the NCAA tournament couldn't have happened to a more deserving team.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/lyndsey-whilby-is.145834/

Lyndsey Whilby, a former wing at Texas Tech, is transferring to Purdue, per a source.

A former top-30-type recruit in the 2016 class, Whilby averaged 7.2 points per game as a freshman at Tech last season, hitting a team-high 39 three-pointers. Texas Tech has a new coach as of last month, hiring Marlene Stollings away from Minnesota.

Likely, the 5-foot-11 Whilby, a native of Hiram, Ga., will have to sit a season, but with the coaching change, it's possible she's seeking a hardship waiver.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/another-transfer.145843/

Purdue adds another transfer:

Purdue women's basketball got another transfer today, per a source, as Jenelle Grant, from Pacific, has chosen the Boilermakers.

A 6-foot guard/forward from London, Grant averaged 7.5 points and 7.2 rebounds per game as a sophomore last season. She'll likely have to sit out next season.

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/purdue-picks-up-women-s-basketball-transfer

A bit more on Whilby's transfer to Purdue. And she will apply for a hardship waiver.

Whilby, the No. 30 wing recruit per ESPN in the 2016 class, averaged 7.2 points per game as a freshman at Tech last season, hitting a team-high 39 three-pointers.

"I'm versatile," she said. "I feel like I can do a lot. I'm long, so I'm active on defense. I'm usually the front of a press. I like to play fast-paced, and I want to work on getting to the basket easier. I like to shoot, but i want to expand my game and develop a better game all around."

Whilby, a Connecticut native who played high school basketball at McEachern in Hiram, Ga., will likely have to sit out a season. But the sophomore will apply for a hardship waiver, citing Texas Tech's coaching change. Last month, the Raiders hired Marlene Stollings away from Minnesota.

"I didn't enjoy myself (at Tech)," she said. "Part of it was the coaching change, but I just didn't enjoy it. I just felt like it was time for something new and I knew that Purdue was a great place. And my major, Computer Science, they're ranked No. 1, so when I had the opportunity I knew I had to take it."

http://www.gopsusports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/050718aaa.html

One of Danielle O'Banion's former Kent State assistants take an assistants job at Penn State:

Penn State head women’s basketball coach Coquese Washington has announced the addition of Geoff Lanier in the role of assistant coach.

“I am very excited to have Geoff Lanier join our staff,” said Washington. “He brings a tremendous amount of experience to our program and we are confident that he will have a positive impact in a number of ways on Lady Lion Basketball.”

Along with coaching the wings, the Derby, Connecticut native will also assist in the day-to-day operation of the program, including opponent scouting, game preparation and player development, among other duties...

...Lanier arrived on the UC campus after spending four seasons as an assistant at Kent State. Lanier served as the recruiting coordinator for the Golden Flash and his impact was felt immediately, as his efforts on the recruiting trail yielded 16 signees over his first 18 months. His crop of signees finished as a top-three class in the MAC for the 2014 cycle. His tenure at Kent State saw the development of four all-conference selections.

http://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sport...cle_47cc5934-5281-11e8-8b1f-b3158b2cdc33.html

Marylands Aja Ellison grad transfers to Texas A&M:

The Texas A&M women’s basketball team, needing to fill some unexpected holes, has added a pair of transfer forwards with huge upsides in Miami Dade College’s Cheah Rael-Whitsitt and Maryland’s Aja Ellison.

The 6-3 Ellison, who will be a graduate transfer with one season of eligibility remaining, has been hampered by injuries since high school, playing only 108 minutes this past season. She is the daughter of Pervis Ellison, who was the 1986 NCAA tournament’s most outstanding player in leading Louisville to the national championship.

“Aja is athletic and long,” Blair said. “She can play either post position. She will add depth and understanding of what competition is all about, since she is coming from a Top 10 program in Maryland and former national champion in 2006.”

In the you-could-have-knocked-me-over-with-a-feather department, Kelsey Mitchell has completed her service to the Ohio States Buckeyes. And, all of a sudden, the Buckeyes have an assistant coaching vacancy. I'll just go ahead and assume that the NCAA will take no notice of what was clearly the Buckeyes paying in the neighborhood of $300,000 to acquire Ms Mitchell (in addition to the scholarships for her and her sister). Karmically, the series of OSU underperformances in the NCAA tournament couldn't have happened to a more deserving team.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/2018...istant-coach-mark-mitchell-leaving-ohio-state

It's confirmed by...a source.

Mark Mitchell has resigned from the Ohio State women’s basketball staff to pursue other opportunities, a source confirmed to The Dispatch on Tuesday.

Mitchell was on Kevin McGuff’s staff as an assistant coach for the last four seasons.

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/2018...istant-coach-mark-mitchell-leaving-ohio-state

It's confirmed by...a source.

Mark Mitchell has resigned from the Ohio State women’s basketball staff to pursue other opportunities, a source confirmed to The Dispatch on Tuesday.

Mitchell was on Kevin McGuff’s staff as an assistant coach for the last four seasons.

Of note: Resignation confirmed Tuesday. New applicant has to have their resume turned in a scant five days later.

Of note: Resignation confirmed Tuesday. New applicant has to have their resume turned in a scant five days later.

Mark Mitchell only got a four year gig with Kelsey. At KSU, Chris Carr might have a six year run with Christianna.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/lawson-is-transferring.145916/

A player we hardly knew leaves Purdue:

Freshman forward Dani Lawson has decided to transfer from the Purdue women’s basketball program and was granted her release by head coach Sharon Versyp on Wednesday. The 6-foot-2, Cleveland native appeared in only five games in her freshman season before undergoing knee surgery and missing the remainder of the 2017-18 campaign.

Lawson saw action in the first four games of the 2017-18 campaign, and the Boilermakers’ contest at Hawaii during their Thanksgiving trip. She made her first career field goal attempt at Central Michigan, and played a career-most four minutes in Purdue’s game vs. Lamar in Mackey Arena on Nov. 18...

...Lawson had actually undergone two micro fracture surgeries, the first when she was a high school freshman, or thereabouts. And now a second. One is hard to come back from, so I can't imagine two. It would have been a long recovery to get back to competing at Purdue, in my (honest) opinion.

I heard he was making $134K/yr. How much better could he do? Basically, the deal to buy Kelsey Mitchell’s services expired.

Top Bottom