Gopher 2018-2019 Lineup Thoughts

F - Pitts, Perez F - Kaposi, Mahouchiza C - Bello, Byrne G - Hubbard, Finau G - Bell, Staples. If Brunson can develop a consistent outside shot, she will challenge for a spot in the top ten. If Perez can get stronger she could challenge as well. Kehinde Bello could surprise if she can be consistent. Lambert needs to get in better shape to the point where she could really help up front.

I tend to agree that the women's game allows for athleticism to overcome length in many cases, but not all. The component I worry about most is interior defense and rebounding comes along with that. 3-guard lineups are great for shooting, passing and handling but if you can't control the paint it can create havoc. I'm hoping Lindsey has luck filling the paint as well as I think she'll stock our backcourt.

MN already has a verbal from a Post Player (ala Stollings?): Grace Cumming (Theodore Roosevelt HS Des Moines IA), 6'3" - Has mobility in uptempo game, shot blocker with wingspan, efficient interior game.

There are other Post Players from the region worth looking at:
Sydnee Roby (Rufus King HS, Milwaukee WI), 6'3" Post Player who is considering California Golden Bears, Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Louisville Cardinals, Michigan State Spartans, Miami Hurricanes. - Physical defensive blocker.

There is one local 2019 player that can fill that bill - Destinee Oberg (Burnsville), 6'2" Post Player who attends the Academy Of Holy Angels. She is currently n Arkansas verbal.

I don't know if Whalen is able to recruit a top player like Tai-Yanna Jackson. She is 6'5" East Chicago Central, East Chicago IN) Post Player. A 7th ranked Post Player, 30th Nationally. Superior length with supreme shot blocking ability, initiates fast breaks, defends the key, alters shots...

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girls-basketball/recruiting/prospects/_/class/2019/position/p

MN already has a verbal from a Post Player (ala Stollings?): Grace Cumming (Theodore Roosevelt HS Des Moines IA), 6'3" - Has mobility in uptempo game, shot blocker with wingspan, efficient interior game.

In case anyone is worried if she'd honor her commitment with the new staff.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bell(RS-SR)/Brunson(JR)
Hubbard(JR)/Staples(FR)
Pitts(SO)/Perez(SR)
Mahouchiza(JR)/Byrne(FR)/Kaposi(SR)
TBello(JR)/Lamke(SR)/KBello(JR)

Then for 2019-2020
Grace Cumming (Stollings)
Sara Scalia (Whalen)

Updated. Did I miss anybody? Suddenly they need more guards.
Paige, we’re really gonna need your help in the future.

Bell(RS-SR)/Brunson(JR)
Hubbard(JR)/Staples(FR)
Pitts(SO)/Perez(SR)
Mahouchiza(JR)/Byrne(FR)/Kaposi(SR)
TBello(JR)/Lamke(SR)/KBello(JR)

Then for 2019-2020
Grace Cumming (Stollings)
Sara Scalia (Whalen)

Updated. Did I miss anybody? Suddenly they need more guards.
Paige, we’re really gonna need your help in the future.

Isn't Staples also a 1?

My end of May lineup projection is about the same as my mid-March projection with Staples replacing Finau. As Shades said, we need some guards. Brunson will be first guard off the bench and Kaposi, as she did last season, will sub in for Pitts.

At post we have to hope Taiye stays out of foul trouble. (Taiye fouled more than any one on the team and did it in half the playing time). Lamke and Kehinde Bello seemed destined to remain spot players. And I'm not anticipating much from Mahouchiza. Yes, in addition to some guards, we need a post player. Another defection or an injury would be hard to absorb.

Guard: Mercedes Staples
Guard: Destiny Pitts
Guard: Gadiva Hubbard
Guard: Kenisha Bell

I suppose the 4 guard system might be a possibility if it’s clear the 4 best players on the team are guards. I hope that turns out not to be the case. I’d like to steer away from the ways of Stollings and return to a normal 2 post system, and we should have plenty of posts to accomplish that.

with the two incoming freshman that switched schools, I don't see it as huge losses. I think it hurts depth only. Looking at the 9 returning players and adding in now two freshman of Staples and Byrne and the Juco Mahouchiza. They are looking at 12 players for next year which I am fine with. Unless I am wrong or proven wrong (which I would be thrilled if I was) I don't see Kehinde Bello, Garrido, Kaposi, Lamke, and Mahouchiza wont be huge contributors. I see us having a main 7 rotation of Bell, Hubbard, Pitts, Staples, Bryne, Taiye and Brunson. Leading me to my question (if those 7 are the top 7 rotation)

Would you rather see

C. Taiye
PF. Bryne
SF: Pitts
SG: Hubbard
PG: Bell

6/7: Brunson/Staples

OR

C. Taiye
PF: Pitts
SF: Hubbard
SG: Bell
PG: Staples

6/7: Bryne/Brunson.

I see for sure one of the two freshman starting unless Brunson really takes steps forward and beats out Staples for the fourth guard role with the other 3 already slotted in starters.

If one of the ones im not expecting to do much makes it a 8 person rotation, I think it will be Kaposi.

Having a freshman PG is rarely the best option when you could have a RS-SR PG or even a JR PG leading the way. Your second group would probably be better with Staples at SF, unless you know something I don’t.

We don’t know which if any of the newcomers will be good, so difficult call to make at this point.

Obviously I expect the four guard lineup. I agree with you about Brunson (some part of her game (offense or defense must improve)). However, Jasmine might actually benefit from the new staff having her focus on some specific things she does well. Kaposi will certainly see playing time because Pitts will occasionally gather fouls. And Kaposi can from time to time allow Whalen to throw a different look on the court.

Like most teams, depth will be a concern. We don't need a repeat of last season's IU loss when Hubbard was out.

I should of stated I feel in the four guard lineup I have Bell/Staples/Hubbard all pretty much interchangeable. All have the ability to run the offence and bring up the ball. I feel that could be an advantage for the team having at least 3 players who can board and get out and start the fast break or initiate the offense. Pitts I still see at least right now as the 3/4. Hoping to see her improve on driving/ball handling in the off season.

Having a freshman PG is rarely the best option when you could have a RS-SR PG or even a JR PG leading the way. Your second group would probably be better with Staples at SF, unless you know something I don’t.

We don’t know which if any of the newcomers will be good, so difficult call to make at this point.

Top Bottom