Q&A: Zeke Nnaji Has Offers from Gophers, Badgers, Hawkeyes, Keeping "Option Open"

GopherHole Staff

GopherHole Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Q&A: Zeke Nnaji Has Offers from Gophers, Badgers, Hawkeyes, Keeping "Option Open"

Q&A: Zeke Nnaji Has Offers from Gophers, Badgers, Hawkeyes, Says He's Keeping "Options Open"
By Chris Monter

http://main.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/899259?referrer_id=

Zeke Nnaji, a 6-foot-9 junior forward from Hopkins (MN) High, is one of the top forwards in the Midwest in the Class of 2019. Nnaji received a scholarship offer from Minnesota last fall.

Nnaji is averaged 19.5 points per game this season as Hopkins finished 26-2 after losing the section 6AAAA championship game to Wayzata. He scored in double figures in every game, including eleven games of 20 or more points. Naji scored a career-high 29 points versus Edina.

Gopher Hole caught up with Nnaji prior to the Wayzata game to talk about the latest on his recruitment and junior season.
Gopher Hole: You had a first round bye, which is rare in the playoffs. Do you think that might have had an affect since you had a couple of extra days off and didn’t have your normal routine.

Zeke Nnaji: It might have been because we came out a little sluggish. We started well, but then we just kind of fizzled out, so I think it might have had an effect.

Gopher Hole: Obviously, you played a very team in that Cretin game. What did you guys learn from that first game that has propelled you to that 26-game winning streak?

Zeke Nnaji: Definitely, we had to get a lot more physical because they had good size and they have strong bigs and strong guards who can shoot the ball, so we have to play more physical and be able to handle pressure and teams that can make up with us one-on-one.

Gopher Hole: Wayzata knocked you guys out last year in the section title game. Hopkins is almost always in the state tournament. What would it mean to get back there personally for you?

Zeke Nnaji: It would mean everything, because every time we are working or practicing or doing anything, I have that picture in the back of my mind. Just trying to motivate us. It hurt last year, but we are trying to do whatever we can to get it back, get back to the state tournament.

Gopher Hole: Wayzata is who you are facing in the section title game. Would that make it a little more special perhaps beating them after they knocked you out last year?

Zeke Nnaji: I am just looking forward to palying in the championship game. I just want to get back to state.

Gopher Hole: You guys are playing extremely well and individually, you are having a great year. How pleased are you the numbers that you are putting in terms of scoring and rebounding for the team?

Zeke Nnaji: I mean, I just want to do whatever I can to get the team to win. We love playing together as a team and when we win. It is good, because we are a family. We did whatever we can, no matter what. We all sacrifice stuff for each other.

Gopher Hole: Are you still at five offers then (Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Creighton and Nebraska)?

Zeke Nnaji: Yes.

Gopher Hole: I know that Wisconsin assistant Joe Krabbenhoft was here to watch you. How does that make you feel when a coach takes time out of their schedule to come watch you?

Zeke Nnaji: Definitely, very appreciative to it and thankful that they can take out of their schedule to come watch me.

Gopher Hole: They have one of your teammates, Joe Hedstrom, who is heading their next season. Does that make you look at them a little differently knowing that you have someone that you are familiar with and have played with?

Zeke Nnaji: I still keep my options open . He gives me crap sometimes in the hallway, trying to tell me “Badgers,” but I keep my options open.

Gopher Hole: What other schools are you hearing from besides those five?

Zeke Nnaji: I’m hearing from Butler, Purdue, Stanford, Princeton and Xavier.

Top Bottom