How many years before another #16 beats a #1 seed?

How many years before another #16 beats a #1 seed?

• Total voters

Dano564

Fleck Superfan
Reaction score
With UMBC finally pulling the upset, how many years do you think it will be until it happens again.

Will it be like surpassing the 4 minute mile. Now that it's done, other teams will find an ability to do it, or will it be a very long time.

I think it will happen again quite soon as even the top teams have flaws that lower ranked teams can take advantage of. Too many one and dones have watered down the talent level of these teams.

This year didn’t have as many bad teams win conference tourneys. Usually there are 4-8 absolutely terrible teams in the tourney.

This year there were really only 3 awful teams and two were eliminated in play in.

I think a couple factors will come to play.

1. The mental component is gone now. So that's one less hurdle for a team to do it.
2. The NBA - one and done rule change could affect this and the current FBI investigation. The number of truly dominant top teams should disappear. This year there wasn't a dominant team. The other three games were all within 20 points where last year the 1 vs 16 matchups included blowouts all of at least 20 including 30-40 point wins.
3. Flattening of the second tier. It seems as if the lower tier is flattening more. There is more mixing of teams in rankings from the lower end to the middle end, so the weakest conferences might not suck as bad as they used to compared to mid-majors. This is elevating the level of play of the last 6 teams in, and with the first four, the weakest two #16's don't even play a #1. Since that change, the 6th worse team in the tournament is still a 16 seed instead of a 15 which UMBC would have been in the old system.

I think in general, a bad team has about a 1 in 20 chance of beating a good team on a given night. I'm going to guess around 5-7 years we'll see it again.

If the Gophers are ever a #1 seed you can bank on it.

It will happen again within the next three years. Many underestimated the move from 65 to 68. Those that used to be 15 seeds are now pushed back to the 16 line. I don't know where UMBC stood on the S-Curve, but the concept holds truth.

My questions: is this really the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history? It seems like it is being overly hyped-up in my opinion. Absolutely fun and impressive but not the biggest upset all time. Thoughts?

It will happen again within the next three years. Many underestimated the move from 65 to 68. Those that used to be 15 seeds are now pushed back to the 16 line. I don't know where UMBC stood on the S-Curve, but the concept holds truth.

My questions: is this really the biggest upset in NCAA tournament history? It seems like it is being overly hyped-up in my opinion. Absolutely fun and impressive but not the biggest upset all time. Thoughts?

Overhyped? UMBC was a 20+ point dog and ended up winning by 20. Throw out the whole 16 seed vs. 1 seed thing and that still makes it a massive upset. Then throw in the extra layer of a 16 never beating a 1 seed and the upset takes on a whole new layer of significance. I would bet before that game most of us had no idea where UMBC was or that the school even existed.

So a complete unknown took down the #1 overall seed in the tournament in blow out fashion on the sports biggest stage. If it isn't the biggest college basketball upset of all time (not enough of a basketball historian to come up with another) it has to be in the top 2 or 3.

How about when will a #16 seed ever beat a #8 or #9 seed?

Almost a perfect storm yesterday as Kansas State was without their top scorer.

It don't know, but there is free pizza this year because it happened.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

More than 10 years for sure

How many years before a 16 beats a 1 by 20 again? Maybe never.

Top Bottom