PJ Fleck Interview on Sports Huddle 3-18-18

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
PJ Fleck appeared on the Sports Huddle with Sid, Dave and Mike Max on Sunday, March 18.

Sid: how are QB's looking?
PJ: players were on spring break this week, so the QB status hasn't changed. pleased with the progress they're making.

Sid: have you decided if Green is moving to another position?
PJ: that decision won't be made for a while. he's a great athlete. doing a great job. needs to continue to improve. like his athleticism. he's adopted the culture, becoming the culture

Sid: what was that leadership deal he was doing?
PJ: all of our players are outstanding when it comes to community service. part of becoming a mature adult -learn to do what you have to do, not what you want to do. players showing incredible responsibility. they're learning that they're representing not just themselves, but the team, the city, all of MN. they're in a program that's dedicated to serving and giving. proud of all our players. a lot of teams do community service. our players want to do those things. they want to live that type of life.

Sid: how is the team looking in practice?
PJ: as of now, had spring break this past week. we'll practice again on Tuesday.

Sid: OL this year, you're in better shape
PJ: we have more players. year 2. have transition. start to have depth. next year have competitive depth. needed to have some bodies. guys in OL are better than last year. improved in weight room. now it's about finding 5 guys who gel the best.

Mona: what about format for spring game?
PJ: going to have some fun. last year couldn't play a real game, with only 4 healthy linemen. this year we're planning something different. we'll come out with it this week. excited. (the format) will be announced at the end of week. I want people to be excited. will be different events going along with spring game. want fans to be a part of it.

Max: WR position. how do you evaluate?
PJ: with wide-outs, have to have guys come out of spring who can really play. (interrupted by his daughter) WR very important. it's an emphasis to us Douglas, Bell, Van Dyne. Red-shirt FR have to be able to come around. going to make decision at end of spring on who can play and what type of offense we can run. the offense will change, with different personnel groupings if guys pan out. 11 personnel - 10 personnel with no TE on field. have to figure out what are we going to do more of.

Sid: on defense, how do you replace Richardson and other graduated players?
PJ: Royal Silver, Gary Moore, Elijah Teague, Umlor moved inside. OJ Smith is going to play. we're going to work on a 6th year for him. all these things are taking place. those guys have to have big years for us.

Mona: with WR's, how do you Coach separation?
PJ: speed and agility. recruit speed - can't coach that. agility factor. WR movement - get in and out of breaks. evaluation. pre-break point separation, break-point separation, post break-point separation. we teach that in-house. we can get better at it. have to have some skill. have to have run game that provides man coverage, cover zero. comes down to recruiting. have to have talent.

Sid: SQotW? (yes, he asked about the 7 players who enrolled early)
PJ: proud of character, toughness, willingness to work. want to see - do the FR come in here and have character to work hard. very pleased with work ethic. will to be good teammate.

Mona: is Faalele the biggest kid you've ever coached?
PJ: Biggest kid I've ever coached. a rugby player - he's only played FB 1 year. he can bend better than any big man I've ever seen. move side-to-side. by far the strongest person we have. when we got into winter conditioning, nobody comes close. amazing how strong he is. amazing young man - amazing story. fans will want to get to know him.

Mona: IMG academy. on-going relationship?
PJ: we don't focus on one school. start to build relationships. that's how recruiting is done. every school we recruit from- we have relationships with HS coaches. ties to program. coaches we've worked with. just because you have a relationship doesn't mean you'll get that kid. we will continue to go down to IMG.

Sid: what about players who red-shirted last year?
PJ: part of developing depth. 77% of players have been with team less than 2 years. facts. this will take time. progressing. 2nd year, have some depth. this program has not have a conference title in 50 years. we've got to do things we've never done before.

Sid: Any 1 or 2 players really stand out in early practices?
PJ: Chris Bell is having a tremendous spring. Thomas Rush has really come along. need them to help us play. very valuable down the road when guys are 2-3 year starters.

Sid: plug for Ticket sales. did not raise prices. great programs. Murray's certificate. Mike Grant coming to watch practice this week.
PJ: HS coaches are welcome to watch practice. RTB, Ski-U-Mah. (my kids are sitting on the couch waiting for me to be done with this).

Thanks Son for doing this and thanks to your kids for patiently waiting for you to be done! We are proud of them and appreciative of them.

Thanks Son for doing this and thanks to your kids for patiently waiting for you to be done! We are proud of them and appreciative of them.

I was quoting Fleck. I don't have kids. I can barely take care of myself, let along be responsible for other living beings.

When PJ talked about how hard it was to do an interview with his daughter interrupting him, Max said he and Dave had the same problem with Sid.

Thanks SON.

Anyone else excited about the spring game announcement?

Thanks SON.

Anyone else excited about the spring game announcement?

I am! Sad I can't be there in person, but I'm sure it'll be broadcast on BTN like last year.

My guess: Full on Game for spring (Maybe with running clock and shortened halftime), Maroon vs Gold. Free admission (we aren't at off-season excitement levels to even think about charging for spring game yet, if we ever get there) Fan events around the stadium prior to the game. Maybe even a "Which team will win" type contest or something? If so, I would assume talent would be split as evenly as possible between them. Half the 1 strings for offense on each team, same for defense, then onto 2nd strings, etc. Maybe a meet and greet with players and coaches after the game.

I am! Sad I can't be there in person, but I'm sure it'll be broadcast on BTN like last year.

My guess: Full on Game for spring (Maybe with running clock and shortened halftime), Maroon vs Gold. Free admission (we aren't at off-season excitement levels to even think about charging for spring game yet, if we ever get there) Fan events around the stadium prior to the game. Maybe even a "Which team will win" type contest or something? If so, I would assume talent would be split as evenly as possible between them. Half the 1 strings for offense on each team, same for defense, then onto 2nd strings, etc. Maybe a meet and greet with players and coaches after the game.

All of that stuff seems standard. I'm hoping he's hinting at something new and crazy.

All of that stuff seems standard. I'm hoping he's hinting at something new and crazy.

The "Gopher Hole All-Stars" will put on an exhibition at halftime. The teams will be the Flecksters on one side and the Skeptics on the other side. Johnny Boy and Spoofin will be the head coaches.

The "Gopher Hole All-Stars" will put on an exhibition at halftime. The teams will be the Flecksters on one side and the Skeptics on the other side. Johnny Boy and Spoofin will be the head coaches.

Us skeptics are mainly old grumpy men and the Flecksters are young whippersnappers. I don't like our chances at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom