2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Yeah...but...veteran presence. It was him and .180 hitting Chris Giminez that were the clubhouse leaders last year and look what happened without them. :cool:

Twins fans, we have been dealt another blow to our 2018 postseason chances. Belisle has landed on the DL.

I never cared for Lance Lynn much, but now I downright detest him. Was it just that he didn't care when he was here? Knows that he can't get away with shatass pitching in the Bronx? WTF

It was against the White Sox. Let’s see what he does in his next few starts.

The Twins organization wants to rebuild their fanbase from the ground up. I stopped watching them.

My guess is Belisle on the team is Molitor’s decision just like Grossman. No inside knowledge, just a guess.

Mejia has been lights out his last 3 outings. Naturally he hurts his arm. MN sports fans can't have nice things.

Jeezuss. Hildenberger is cooked. In his last 11 outings, he's given up at least 1 hit in 10 of 11 outings. he's allowed at least 1 run in 5 of last 11 outings, including multiple runs in 4 of 11 outings. Last 2 outings - 2 IP, 5H, 4R, 4 ER, 2 HR.

Time to shut it down and bring up a fresh arm from the minors.

FWIW - JC Chargois - last 11 appearances for the Dodgers allowed a total of 4H and 0R. But the Twins let him go.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Oh my kid is going to be crushed. He loved the intro music and arrow shooting routine.

For those who haven't dug into the Rodney trade yet:

The Twins traded Rodney for a Class A pitcher. Who has thrown 5 innings this year. Who is on the disabled list. who is NOT ranked among the top 30 prospects in the Oakland farm system.

In other words, the Twins just gave away their closer for virtually nothing.

If Terry Ryan made this trade, fans would be lining up outside the stadium with torches and pitchforks.

Get ready for more bullpen follies the rest of the season.

The Twins traded Rodney for a Class A pitcher. Who has thrown 5 innings this year. Who is on the disabled list. who is NOT ranked among the top 30 prospects in the Oakland farm system.

If Terry Ryan made this trade, fans would be lining up outside the stadium with torches and pitchforks.

It's not nothing. It's swinging for the fences. The kid is 21, coming off Tommy John surgery. He had an upper 90s fastball with 2 breaking balls. Oakland had to pay him 1 million plus to stop him from playing college ball at UGA. But in addition to the arm issue, he's been a problem with booze. In his year at A ball, He's striking out more than 1.5 batters per inning. If it doesn't work? So what? I like Rodney, but we're the same age.

I'm meh on this. I won't really miss the Fernando Rodney Experience in the 9th inning next year. But he was a pretty good value at $4 million. But they can get equivalent arms in FA. They will now have at least $55 million to spend.

It's not nothing. It's swinging for the fences. The kid is 21, coming off Tommy John surgery. He had an upper 90s fastball with 2 breaking balls. Oakland had to pay him 1 million plus to stop him from playing college ball at UGA. But in addition to the arm issue, he's been a problem with booze. In his year at A ball, He's striking out more than 1.5 batters per inning. If it doesn't work? So what? I like Rodney, but we're the same age.

Exactly. Highest possible upside available from the org that happened to claim him.

Win Twins!!

He was ranked 14th in 2017. 3rd round draft pick in 2015. I'm not sure what people expected they'd get for Rodney. This was a low risk, high reward move IMO.

"He could be great if he learns to throw strikes."

that is the epitaph of more minor-league pitchers than I can count. According to various accounts, the guy has had personal issues, and he has already had Tommy John surgery. 4 years in the A's system and still in A ball.

I understand the Twins didn't have a lot of leverage. They put Rodney on waivers, and when Oakland claimed him, they had to either make a deal, or pull Rodney off waivers - which means they couldn't have dealt him to another club.

But, if you're going to put someone on waivers, you have to know there is a chance of a claim, and you need to know what you're willing to take in a trade.

This, to me, is just another indication that Falvine are throwing s**t at the wall to see what sticks.

"He could be great if he learns to throw strikes."

that is the epitaph of more minor-league pitchers than I can count. According to various accounts, the guy has had personal issues, and he has already had Tommy John surgery. 4 years in the A's system and still in A ball.

I understand the Twins didn't have a lot of leverage. They put Rodney on waivers, and when Oakland claimed him, they had to either make a deal, or pull Rodney off waivers - which means they couldn't have dealt him to another club.

But, if you're going to put someone on waivers, you have to know there is a chance of a claim, and you need to know what you're willing to take in a trade.

This, to me, is just another indication that Falvine are throwing s**t at the wall to see what sticks.

The other options were to keep him on the team for the rest of the year, then pay the $250K buyout after the season, or keep him around for another season at $4.5 million. I don't think he is part of the plans for next year or beyond so might as well get something for him.

The other options were to keep him on the team for the rest of the year, then pay the $250K buyout after the season, or keep him around for another season at $4.5 million. I don't think he is part of the plans for next year or beyond so might as well get something for him.

I agree. What value does a 41 year old closer have in a lost season with six weeks left in the season? The Twins did exactly what they should have in the last few weeks. Whether or not they found anybody remains to be seen, but nobody they got rid of were part of the future and/or unavailable to be picked up at the end of the year (with the exception of Pressley). They now have a ton of payroll flexibility going into next year and added a ton of minor league options.

Enthusiasm for the Twins at a fever pitch! First post in 4 days!

For what it’s worth, nice little 2-game sweep of the Pirates. Looking forward to seeing some of the call-ups later this season if nothing else.

Another win tonight. And Tyler Austin hit a monster, longest HR by a Twin this year.
Stole him, I tells ya!

Another win tonight. And Tyler Austin hit a monster, longest HR by a Twin this year.
Stole him, I tells ya!

Well, if you look at his career stats, Austin profiles as a player who strikes out a lot, doesn't draw a lot of walks, and has a low on-base percentage and a low batting average. But, when he makes contact, it goes a long way. So, you have to decide if you're OK with a guy who might hit .225 with a .290 OBP, 25-30 HR and 150+ K.

I'm old-school. I still see value in putting the ball in play, getting hits, getting on base, and scoring runs. I realize that puts me out of step with some of the new-age thinking in baseball. Austin - to me - is another Dave Kingman or Rob Deer. When he hits one, everybody oohs and aahs. And then he does nothing in his other 3 or 4 at-bats the rest of the night.

Stole him, I tells ya!

I'm stupid, you're smart, I was wrong, you were right, you're the best, I'm the worst, you're very good looking, I'm not very attractive...

Well, if you look at his career stats, Austin profiles as a player who strikes out a lot, doesn't draw a lot of walks, and has a low on-base percentage and a low batting average. But, when he makes contact, it goes a long way. So, you have to decide if you're OK with a guy who might hit .225 with a .290 OBP, 25-30 HR and 150+ K.

I'm old-school. I still see value in putting the ball in play, getting hits, getting on base, and scoring runs. I realize that puts me out of step with some of the new-age thinking in baseball. Austin - to me - is another Dave Kingman or Rob Deer. When he hits one, everybody oohs and aahs. And then he does nothing in his other 3 or 4 at-bats the rest of the night.

I've heard chicks dig the long ball.

Santana to the DL again. Stephen Gonsalves to make his debut tomorrow.

Also:

Top Bottom