2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Looks like he pitched very well today. 5.2IP, 4H, 3BB, 5K, 0ER. Lynn may end up being the odd man out of the rotation once Santana returns.

Yep. And they can't keep both him and Hughes in the bullpen.

Romero looked good, but I'm going to wait to see a couple more outings before I'm confident in him. As a team, the Blue Jays usually struggle against the slider, and he throws that pitch often. It was a really good matchup for him to start with.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Even though the current team spit up all over their shirt in April, plenty of reason for encouragement for the long term. In my mind, the key factor remains whether their superstar-potential players realize their potential, and I'm talking about Sano, Buxton and Berrios. You can't win a championship without superstars.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Even though the current team spit up all over their shirt in April, plenty of reason for encouragement for the long term. In my mind, the key factor remains whether their superstar-potential players realize their potential, and I'm talking about Sano, Buxton and Berrios. You can't win a championship without superstars.

Another reason why I didn't want to sign Darvish for a long and huge contract. I'd rather take a chance that a few of these guys turn out to be very good. Not surprising, Darvish is really struggling so far this year. ERA at 6.00, has only pitched 5+ innings twice in six starts. Obviously early, but that's really bad for a guy getting paid that much.

Royce Lewis is hitting .339 for Cedar Rapids. I'm sure they will bring him along slowly but I'm guessing he'll be promoted to Ft. Myers at some point this season.

The guy many wanted the Twins to draft, Hunter Greene, has a 14.63 ERA in the same league. He has 17K in 8IP but has allowed 13ER. He hasn't made it past 3 innings in any of his 4 starts.

Royce Lewis is hitting .339 for Cedar Rapids. I'm sure they will bring him along slowly but I'm guessing he'll be promoted to Ft. Myers at some point this season.

The guy many wanted the Twins to draft, Hunter Greene, has a 14.63 ERA in the same league. He has 17K in 8IP but has allowed 13ER. He hasn't made it past 3 innings in any of his 4 starts.

I wanted to draft him! Its early yet.......

Reusse has a new column on Sano - basically says the kid is squandering his potential because he can't or won't stop eating.

This is becoming a worst-case scenario for the Twins - Sano is hurt all the time, and his trade value is going down the tubes.

Reusse has a new column on Sano - basically says the kid is squandering his potential because he can't or won't stop eating.

This is becoming a worst-case scenario for the Twins - Sano is hurt all the time, and his trade value is going down the tubes.

All that potential....I remember when he first came up, he had such a good eye at the plate.

I saw some of the interviews he did after he was drafted and came away extremely impressed with Lewis. Very intelligent and polished for a kid just out of high school.

As far as baseball skills go, there is alot to like as well. He's got speed, athleticism and very good plate discipline for a young guy. Has the frame and bat speed to develop some power as well. Don't think he'll ever be a 30 homer guy, but in his prime, could see him as a 20-25 hr guy at the SS position.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

per Sid:

• Twins infield prospect Royce Lewis, the No. 1 overall pick last year, is dominating at Class A Cedar Rapids. He entered Saturday hitting .353 with a homer, 11 RBI, 11 runs and eight stolen bases in 17 games.

• Also at Cedar Rapids is outfielder Alex Kirilloff, the No. 15 overall pick in 2016. He spent last season rehabbing from Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery. He was hitting .276 with four homers, eight doubles and 23 RBI in 21 games.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-are-eager-to-put-last-season-s-sour-ending-behind-them/481836821/

Win Twins!!

Gibson looked good again. Rosario is on fire. They still have 52 games left against KC, Detroit, and Chicago.

Gibson looked good again. Rosario is on fire. They still have 52 games left against KC, Detroit, and Chicago.

A very good weekend to get back on track. It sure would be nice to have Sano and Buxton healthy.

Win Twins!!

A very good weekend to get back on track. It sure would be nice to have Sano and Buxton healthy.

Win Twins!!

Sanyo is a liability in the field, strikes out far too often, and can’t stay healthy. Time to see if he wants to be in Rochester for a month.

Sanyo is a liability in the field, strikes out far too often, and can’t stay healthy. Time to see if he wants to be in Rochester for a month.

Sano is still better than what we have playing SS right now. Escobar will slide over to SS again once he's back.

Sano is still better than what we have playing SS right now. Escobar will slide over to SS again once he's back.

I hope that Escobar remains a starter the whole year between SS and 3B. Sano and Polanco can split the time once JP gets back. I want to see EE get a full season of at bats and see what he produces

Romero is off to an incredible start. 6 more shutout innings tonight.

Win Twins!!

I hope that Escobar remains a starter the whole year between SS and 3B. Sano and Polanco can split the time once JP gets back. I want to see EE get a full season of at bats and see what he produces
Really funny. I was just thinking that I can’t see how you take him out in place of a guy who isn’t eligible for the playoffs.

Romero is off to an incredible start. 6 more shutout innings tonight.

Win Twins!!

Got to see his last inning plus some of his strike out pitches from earlier and he seems to have great stuff and a lot of composure already.
Wonder now what they do when Santana is ready to come back and Gonsalves is ready for his promotion? Great problem to have.

Got to see his last inning plus some of his strike out pitches from earlier and he seems to have great stuff and a lot of composure already.
Wonder now what they do when Santana is ready to come back and Gonsalves is ready for his promotion? Great problem to have.

It will be interesting to see what they do if Romero continues to pitch well.

Romero has some nasty stuff. Honestly it was impressive to watch his speed too. He didn't look like he was throwing hard then you would look at the speed and it was 96 or 97 mph. Pretty crazy. The batters never looked comfortable against him. He needs to learn to just keep throwing strikes so he can stay in the game longer. Too many times when he got ahead of batters he would throw a pitch that was no where near the plate.

Romero has some nasty stuff. Honestly it was impressive to watch his speed too. He didn't look like he was throwing hard then you would look at the speed and it was 96 or 97 mph. Pretty crazy. The batters never looked comfortable against him. He needs to learn to just keep throwing strikes so he can stay in the game longer. Too many times when he got ahead of batters he would throw a pitch that was no where near the plate.

Trying to decide how much of that is on a journeyman catcher that he’s never worked with before instead of a vet like Castro. Like any young pitcher, he’ll need someone solid behind the plate helping him along. I think he’ll only get better.

Escobar is a like a rich man's Nick Punto in that when he starts the season on the bench and fills in, he does well. When he's counted on as a starter, he struggles. In fairness, they only really gave him a starting job once and IIRC he hit about .240 that year. With Punto they did it 3 times only to watch him grind out .200 seasons every time.

They will have a dilemma in the off-season. Escobar and Dozier are FA's. You also have Polanco and Sano plus Gordon and Lewis getting close to ready. I don't see Escobar returning here as a bench player. So unless they are ready to give up on Sano at 3B and either trade him or make him DH, either Escobar or Dozier will be gone. Honestly, trading Sano might make the most sense.

Trying to decide how much of that is on a journeyman catcher that he’s never worked with before instead of a vet like Castro. Like any young pitcher, he’ll need someone solid behind the plate helping him along. I think he’ll only get better.

I feel like it's our pitching coach philosophy more than anything as multiple pitchers are doing this. Although HIldenberger didn't do that last night. I think he threw straight strikes.

It's impressive. Normally, I'd be worried about Tommy John, but he really doesn't seem to be throwing with max effort, and he's already had it once.

Escobar is a like a rich man's Nick Punto in that when he starts the season on the bench and fills in, he does well. When he's counted on as a starter, he struggles. In fairness, they only really gave him a starting job once and IIRC he hit about .240 that year. With Punto they did it 3 times only to watch him grind out .200 seasons every time.

They will have a dilemma in the off-season. Escobar and Dozier are FA's. You also have Polanco and Sano plus Gordon and Lewis getting close to ready. I don't see Escobar returning here as a bench player. So unless they are ready to give up on Sano at 3B and either trade him or make him DH, either Escobar or Dozier will be gone. Honestly, trading Sano might make the most sense.

Escobar's best numbers are when he plays a lot. Last year and so far this year, he's proven he can be an everyday player if needed in my opinion. Escobar is one of my favorites and is very valuable. My guess is Sano will end up at 1B or DH sooner than later.

Top Bottom