2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Glad to hear this is the Twins' sentiment because that's exactly how I've been feeling. The team has worked and invested and waited for Gibson to get to this point in his development, and now they stand to reap the reward as he enters his prime. Wouldn't make sense to forego the (presumably, hopefully) most productive years of his career unless they can fleece some team of a top prospect. (Assumes, of course, that they can sign him for more years, but I believe he would sign.)

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
This is a bummer...unless we can get him back. I just love the guy.

His teammates love him, too.

Glad to hear this is the Twins' sentiment because that's exactly how I've been feeling. The team has worked and invested and waited for Gibson to get to this point in his development, and now they stand to reap the reward as he enters his prime. Wouldn't make sense to forego the (presumably, hopefully) most productive years of his career unless they can fleece some team of a top prospect. (Assumes, of course, that they can sign him for more years, but I believe he would sign.)

Enters his prime? He'll be 31 in October.

Gotta remember Escobar wasn't exactly highly regarded when the Twins got him from the White Sox for Liriano.

Disappointing

This is his best year, and he's 30. Are you saying this isn't happening? Or that he's not 30?

I’d consider most players prime to be mid 20s-low 30s. This year could be an anomaly or his prime could be very short.

And I maintain that Escobar will re-sign with the Twins after the season - unless some other team makes an insanely over-the-top offer. The one wild card could be what happens with Dozier. He and Escobar are best friends, and I could see them wanting to end up on the same team if they can swing it.

I’d consider most players prime to be mid 20s-low 30s. This year could be an anomaly or his prime could be very short.

Some players don't fit your model obviously. Look no further than Hildy, who didn't debut in the bigs until age 26.

And I maintain that Escobar will re-sign with the Twins after the season - unless some other team makes an insanely over-the-top offer. The one wild card could be what happens with Dozier. He and Escobar are best friends, and I could see them wanting to end up on the same team if they can swing it.

I hope so. He was easily my favorite player on this team.

Ryan Pressly traded:

Win Twins!!

Ryan Pressly traded:

Win Twins!!

OF and P that throws upper 90’s. Solid moves so far today. The bitching on Facebook and Twitter is hilarious.

I don't know what people want. This is how you do business in baseball. You're done. You have expiring contracts. You get something for those players.

I'm good with the Pressly move. I still didn't trust him as the 8th inning guy or closer and we got good value. I would rather have signed Escobar to an extension. I know we still can re-sign him. But the odds of him being here in 2019 are now less than 10%, IMO.

For all the flack that Terry Ryan took, the one area where he was pretty good was identifying hidden gems in other teams' farm systems and trading for them. When the Twins picked up Johan Santana, his numbers were not impressive, but he developed into a really good player.

With Falvine, we just don't know yet how successful they're going to be in spotting bargains in other organizations. If one or two of the 5 prospects they picked up today develop, it was probably a good move. But, we won't know that for 4 or 5 years. None of the players they picked up are higher than AA.

Bottom line - today's moves make it crystal clear that Falvey and Levine do not expect to have a contending team until 2020 at the earliest. The one thing it does is buy them a little more time to see if they can "fix" Buxton and Sano.

I don't know what people want. This is how you do business in baseball. You're done. You have expiring contracts. You get something for those players.

It makes sense to people that understand contracts and pay attention to the minor league system. Many have already proclaimed all 5 players received in the trades as guys who’ll never sniff the big leagues even though they have no clue about any of them.

For all the flack that Terry Ryan took, the one area where he was pretty good was identifying hidden gems in other teams' farm systems and trading for them. When the Twins picked up Johan Santana, his numbers were not impressive, but he developed into a really good player.

With Falvine, we just don't know yet how successful they're going to be in spotting bargains in other organizations. If one or two of the 5 prospects they picked up today develop, it was probably a good move. But, we won't know that for 4 or 5 years. None of the players they picked up are higher than AA.

Bottom line - today's moves make it crystal clear that Falvey and Levine do not expect to have a contending team until 2020 at the earliest. The one thing it does is buy them a little more time to see if they can "fix" Buxton and Sano.

I don't think the moves made so far indicate that we can't compete for the division in 2019. We can and we should. Pressly is just a guy and bullpen arms are replaceable. If they trade Gibson, they are hurting 2019 and I will not be happy.

I don't think the moves made so far indicate that we can't compete for the division in 2019. We can and we should. Pressly is just a guy and bullpen arms are replaceable. If they trade Gibson, they are hurting 2019 and I will not be happy.

Agree. I don’t get the outrage that this signifies they don’t plan on contending in 2019. Huh?

I’ve always been a big Gibson fan and I’m happy he seems to be turning into a really good rotational starter. I hope they keep him as well. The return haul would have to be tremendous and I just don’t see it happening.

STrib: Twins front office discusses Friday trades

Levine and Twins Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey flew to Massachusetts on Saturday to address that difference of opinion, making themselves accountable and available to explain their motivation for moves that left remaining players disappointed.

“When challenging decisions are made, you have to be part of it,” Falvey said. “Ultimately, these guys are professionals. They understand the reality of situations.”

Yes, but several pointed out that the Twins had won four games in a row entering Friday, pulling within seven games of Cleveland, their smallest deficit in a month. Falvey and Levine’s answer: Basing such important decisions on just a handful of games around the trade deadline is a mistake.

“We’ve played north of 100 games, and when you get to a certain point in the season … we try not to let one day or a few days sway the decisions,” Falvey said. “I don’t expect the players to always understand that, and they shouldn’t. They should want to go out and win tonight, no different than three days ago.”

Added Levine: “At the deadline, you want to be either investing in trying to win more now, or more in the future. What we didn’t want to do is get caught in the middle of those. We made the executive decision that we were going to invest in getting better for the future.”

The players the Twins received — pitcher Jorge Alcala, who turned 23 Saturday, is the oldest of the five — “all have a chance to climb the ladder for us,” Levine said. “I believe four of them will go right into our top 30 prospects, and that’s meaningful. What we were able to accomplish yesterday may not pay dividends tomorrow, but on the horizon, that just got brighter.”

Levine said he had one regret about Friday: That word of Escobar’s fate leaked before the player, and manager Paul Molitor, could be informed directly. Both learned of the trade when it was broadcast on TVs in the clubhouse. “It hurt us that Eduardo found out by way of something other than Paul, Derek or myself telling him,” Levine said.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-front-office-discusses-friday-trades/489431261/

Win Twins!!

Gibson overrated, his value will never be higher. Fools gold.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I agree, just a gut feeling

Depends. I'd say it's more 28-33, maybe for catchers, short stops and centerfielders, but even those guys can switch positions in the field and be productive. It's not uncommon for relievers to not debut until their mid to late 20s

Disagree. He's been very good for an entire calendar year. It's not smoke and mirrors. He's not Johan Santana but he's not Nick Blackburn either.

His value may never be higher. But what's the best case return? An A ball pitcher who might one day be as good as Gibson is right now? If 2019 goes as 2018 you can trade him one year from now or you can sign him to an extension in the off-season

Disagree. He's been very good for an entire calendar year. It's not smoke and mirrors. He's not Johan Santana but he's not Nick Blackburn either.

His value may never be higher. But what's the best case return? An A ball pitcher who might one day be as good as Gibson is right now? If 2019 goes as 2018 you can trade him one year from now or you can sign him to an extension in the off-season

It's funny you bring up Blackburn. Gibson threw 120 pitches in his last start. Before that, the last Twins pitcher to hit 120 pitches in a game was.......Nick Blackburn in (I think) 2011. Blackburn was one of those guys who would have a great start, then two bad outings in a row, then get hurt. You always hoped he's find some consistency, but he never did.

This is how I felt about Pressley. Gibby might have figured something out. But if Twins are un-sure, they should trade him. I would think they would get a decent haul for him

Top Bottom