2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

per Sid:

• Twins manager Paul Molitor is not only having to deal with his day-to-day business of leading the team but also trying to deal with having so many off days and getting players playing time. “It’s tough with all of these off days. I’m trying to keep everybody involved the best that I can,” he said. “With all the lefthanded hitters we have we have to find some breaks for those guys and mix it up once in a while. You want to make sure the guys that are role players get a chance to feel like they’re part of the club.”

• Twins President Dave St. Peter said the league office is aware the Twins want fewer home games in April. “The reality of it is that that has been suggested, I assure you, at the highest levels,” St. Peter said. “It will be suggested again. Hopefully we can work to figure that out.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...mbers-in-p-j-fleck-s-second-season/479783193/

Win Twins!!

St Paul needs another hall of famer. We are in second place right now, two behind Mobile, AL.

RandBall: Is Brian Dozier going to get paid in free agency, and will it be by the Twins?

If and when the Twins ever resume playing — as soon as tonight! — after this weather-marred but undeniably successful soft launch to the 2018 season, the Brian Dozier countdown clock will also keep ticking.

It’s entirely possible that he has just 151 regular-season games left in his Twins career. But what happens in those 151 games could still play a significant role in his future.

Six weeks ago, the Star Tribune’s Jim Souhan wrote about Dozier’s impending free agency after this season and noted that the Twins second baseman was not engaged in contract extension talks with the team.

“I don’t want to touch too much on this, it’s the thing that gets asked all the time, but at the same time, I will be a free agent this fall,” Dozier told Souhan. “That’s the bottom line. You can only say you want to be here so much, and nothing gets done. That’s just the way it is. I understand everything. At the same time, you’re six months away from free agency. That’s intriguing.”

Six weeks later, nothing appears to have changed. I only circle back on this subject now because of a recent ESPN.com Insider piece (subscription required) that attempted to use projected production of top impending free agents to estimate what sorts of deals they might get on the open market next offseason.

If the perception is that Dozier, who turns 31 next month and would turn 32 early in a free agent deal, might be squeezed because of his age and position in a market that turned cold this past offseason, th ESPN piece at least went against that thinking. He was tabbed as worthy of a five-year, $77 million deal — not a break-the-bank contract, but a make-you-blink deal deal, at least, when considering that’s an annual value of $15+ million that will carry Dozier into his age 36 season.

Dozier, of course, has showed no signs of slowing down. Quite the opposite, his trajectory is still on an upward arc after smashing 76 home runs over the past two seasons and four more in the Twins’ 7-4 cold-weather start this year. He’s been a bargain on his current four-year, $20 million deal.

But if the Twins want to keep costs down, they have a bevy of young middle infield prospects, including the knocking-on-the-door Nick Gordon. The Twins also have just four players under contract in 2019 and exactly zero in 2020 — making it seem obvious that they could not only afford Dozier but should want to keep him. In not too long, though, a lot of the young core players that are under team control will start hitting free agency. The payroll and commitments will go up accordingly.

http://www.startribune.com/is-brian...agency-and-will-it-be-by-the-twins/479986993/

Win Twins!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

Molitor pulls Berrios after just 84 pitches because the bullpen needs work. Well they’re definitely getting in their work. I don’t know how he doesn’t at least let him throw to one batter in the 8th, then bring in Reed.

My DVR ran out in the bottom of the 15th. Ugh. Glad they pulled it out.

Molitor pulls Berrios after just 84 pitches because the bullpen needs work. Well they’re definitely getting in their work. I don’t know how he doesn’t at least let him throw to one batter in the 8th, then bring in Reed.

Highly questionable in a tied pitchers duel. The season's still quite young, and we already have a considerable list of head scratchers from Mollie.

Highly questionable in a tied pitchers duel. The season's still quite young, and we already have a considerable list of head scratchers from Mollie.

Know the situation. Let Berrios get pulled in the middle of an inning so he can get the applause from his hometown fans. Reed still could have pitched to the last two batters that inning.

Brutal game tonight. Down 6-2 to up 7-6. Two outs in the 9th and we drill Carlos Gomez in the back. Time to end the Rodney as closer experience.

Brutal game tonight. Down 6-2 to up 7-6. Two outs in the 9th and we drill Carlos Gomez in the back. Time to end the Rodney as closer experience.

Yeah, Addison Reed is clearly the best reliever we have. He only threw 9 pitches in the 8th. Shoulda trotted him out there for the 9th.

Duke has to make that play, what a bad loss.

Win Twins!!

That’s just a ground out to end the game at any real baseball stadium.

Swept by a team that was, I believe, 5-13 going into the series. The East is just that good, I guess, that we can't compete against even the bottom feeders.

Taylor Rogers is also garbage as is Grossman. Time for some roster moves.

Twins-Yankees is off to a good start. So predictable.

There are few certainties in life, but the Twins p1$$ing down their leg at Yankee Stadium is one of them. I'll be thrilled if they somehow win one of the four games.

And we signed a new pitcher who has been in their division for years. Completely spazzes out first time he plays them as a Twin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I said to my wife last night during the 4th quarter of the Wolves game, it's on to the next loser team.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's ridiculous how bad we play against the yankees. Yesterday the yanks played horrible, made errors left and right, it was like they were even trying and we still couldn't even compete.

It's ridiculous how bad we play against the yankees. Yesterday the yanks played horrible, made errors left and right, it was like they were even trying and we still couldn't even compete.

If you're scared of the name on the other team's jersey, you're already toast.

Not trying to jinx this, but Kyle Gibson of all people is shutting down the Yankees through five with 9 strike outs and a no hitter.

Top Bottom