Page 52 of 52 FirstFirst ... 242505152

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    For those who haven't dug into the Rodney trade yet:

The Twins traded Rodney for a Class A pitcher. Who has thrown 5 innings this year. Who is on the disabled list. who is NOT ranked among the top 30 prospects in the Oakland farm system.

In other words, the Twins just gave away their closer for virtually nothing.

If Terry Ryan made this trade, fans would be lining up outside the stadium with torches and pitchforks.

Get ready for more bullpen follies the rest of the season.

Win Twins!!

For those who haven't dug into the Rodney trade yet:

The Twins traded Rodney for a Class A pitcher. Who has thrown 5 innings this year. Who is on the disabled list. who is NOT ranked among the top 30 prospects in the Oakland farm system.

In other words, the Twins just gave away their closer for virtually nothing.

If Terry Ryan made this trade, fans would be lining up outside the stadium with torches and pitchforks.

Get ready for more bullpen follies the rest of the season.
    He was ranked 14th in 2017. 3rd round draft pick in 2015. I'm not sure what people expected they'd get for Rodney. This was a low risk, high reward move IMO.

"He could be great if he learns to throw strikes."

that is the epitaph of more minor-league pitchers than I can count. According to various accounts, the guy has had personal issues, and he has already had Tommy John surgery. 4 years in the A's system and still in A ball.

I understand the Twins didn't have a lot of leverage. They put Rodney on waivers, and when Oakland claimed him, they had to either make a deal, or pull Rodney off waivers - which means they couldn't have dealt him to another club.

But, if you're going to put someone on waivers, you have to know there is a chance of a claim, and you need to know what you're willing to take in a trade.

This, to me, is just another indication that Falvine are throwing s**t at the wall to see what sticks.

"He could be great if he learns to throw strikes."

that is the epitaph of more minor-league pitchers than I can count. According to various accounts, the guy has had personal issues, and he has already had Tommy John surgery. 4 years in the A's system and still in A ball.

I understand the Twins didn't have a lot of leverage. They put Rodney on waivers, and when Oakland claimed him, they had to either make a deal, or pull Rodney off waivers - which means they couldn't have dealt him to another club.

But, if you're going to put someone on waivers, you have to know there is a chance of a claim, and you need to know what you're willing to take in a trade.

This, to me, is just another indication that Falvine are throwing s**t at the wall to see what sticks.
    The other options were to keep him on the team for the rest of the year, then pay the $250K buyout after the season, or keep him around for another season at $4.5 million. I don't think he is part of the plans for next year or beyond so might as well get something for him.

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    The other options were to keep him on the team for the rest of the year, then pay the $250K buyout after the season, or keep him around for another season at $4.5 million. I don't think he is part of the plans for next year or beyond so might as well get something for him.
    I agree. What value does a 41 year old closer have in a lost season with six weeks left in the season? The Twins did exactly what they should have in the last few weeks. Whether or not they found anybody remains to be seen, but nobody they got rid of were part of the future and/or unavailable to be picked up at the end of the year (with the exception of Pressley). They now have a ton of payroll flexibility going into next year and added a ton of minor league options.
    Winasota Gopher now takes me seriously.....you should too.

go Twins & Gophers go.

Quote Originally Posted by gophersfan View Post

I like it. See what he can do.

Quote Originally Posted by GophersInIowa View Post
    I like it. See what he can do.

I like it as well

Tyler Austin homered tonight. I still say the Twins stole him.