2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Sometimes it's not your night. First and 3rd one out in the 6th, don't score. Sano misses a 3-run HR by a few feet in the 8th. Still loads the bases with one out, don't score. Then Buxton misses tying it in the 9th be a few feet. Ugh.

Sometimes it's not your night. First and 3rd one out in the 6th, don't score. Sano misses a 3-run HR by a few feet in the 8th. Still loads the bases with one out, don't score. Then Buxton misses tying it in the 9th be a few feet. Ugh.

First and third and nobody out in the 6th actually. The one thing Mauer CANNOT do there is strike out, so naturally he swings and misses ball four. That guy.

Mauer never swings at the first pitch, Rosario always swings at the first pitch. And everyone in the league knows that. Rosario made the final out in the 6th when he swung at the first pitch and hit a weak pop-up. Bases loaded in the 8th, Houston throws one basically in the dirt, so of course he swings and dribbles it up the middle. The bases are full, they have nowhere to put you, make them throw a strike.

First and third and nobody out in the 6th actually. The one thing Mauer CANNOT do there is strike out, so naturally he swings and misses ball four. That guy.

I have trouble pinning it on Mauer in this case. He was the only guy who did much off of Verlander with a double and a walk. Sano came up behind him and you knew there was a 90% chance he was going to strike out. And Rosario, woof.

Mauer never swings at the first pitch, Rosario always swings at the first pitch. And everyone in the league knows that. Rosario made the final out in the 6th when he swung at the first pitch and hit a weak pop-up. Bases loaded in the 8th, Houston throws one basically in the dirt, so of course he swings and dribbles it up the middle. The bases are full, they have nowhere to put you, make them throw a strike.

Rosario's been playing the first two weeks with his head mostly up his posterior. He needs to snap out of it ASAP.

I was literally yelling at the TV, "Take a pitch!!" How did they not tell him that before he went up?

Sano is on pace to strike out 360 times this year. He's going to shatter the record.

We are 5-4 on the season and all the games we have played have been against teams with a winning record except Baltimore. Pittsburgh and houston are a couple of the best teams in the league, and look at us competing! The sky is not falling.

Sano is on pace to strike out 360 times this year. He's going to shatter the record.

He really needs to pull his head out of his ass. Even when he's not swinging and missing he's failing to square up pitches he would have hit well in the past.

per STrib:

Welcome to what figures to be known as the “warm” day on the Twins’ season-opening homestand. It’s 46 degrees, and promises to rise by another degree or two as the game goes on. That’s as opposed to 35-degree temperatures during Monday and Tuesday’s games.

The conditions have been noticed by the visitors from Texas. “I don’t like it, to be honest with you,” AL MVP Jose Altuve said after Tuesday night’s 35-degree game. “I’m ready to go to Houston and play in the dome.”

So is manager A.J. Hinch, who closed his postgame press conference with this: “I hate it. I hate it. I hate cold weather. I hate playing baseball in this weather. … No baseball player in the big leagues will like playing in this crap.”

http://www.startribune.com/astros-w...ey-get-to-leave-after-today-s-game/479411293/

Win Twins!!

per STrib:

Welcome to what figures to be known as the “warm” day on the Twins’ season-opening homestand. It’s 46 degrees, and promises to rise by another degree or two as the game goes on. That’s as opposed to 35-degree temperatures during Monday and Tuesday’s games.

The conditions have been noticed by the visitors from Texas. “I don’t like it, to be honest with you,” AL MVP Jose Altuve said after Tuesday night’s 35-degree game. “I’m ready to go to Houston and play in the dome.”

So is manager A.J. Hinch, who closed his postgame press conference with this: “I hate it. I hate it. I hate cold weather. I hate playing baseball in this weather. … No baseball player in the big leagues will like playing in this crap.”

http://www.startribune.com/astros-w...ey-get-to-leave-after-today-s-game/479411293/

Win Twins!!

What a bunch of pu$$ies. I was there last night and it wasn't that cold.

I agree with Hinch - it's not baseball weather. But what's his solution besides crying about it? Eliminate northern teams? Forced relocation of games, like what some college teams are doing? How about no night games in April? Unfortunately for him, his team plays in a league with geographical diversity.

Seriously. Way better than playing in 100 degree weather in the middle of summer I'd think.

As a fan I'd take 35 degrees for a game over 100 degrees for a game every single time. I'm a Minnesotan though.

I remember the crap we had to play in during high school so I don't feel bad for them at all. Yeah it sucks but the weather has been terrible across a lot of the country this spring so far.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The good thing about this year is I think they have several other good options to replace Gibson if needed.

Is it me or has there been a huge amount of walks so far this year? 15 in today's game, 33 total so far in this 3-game series.

Its effing cold. Hard to hold on to a ball imo :).

I agree with Hinch - it's not baseball weather. But what's his solution besides crying about it?

Shorten the season.

No need for 162 games to determine the 8 playoff teams.

They could easily go to a 140 game schedule (or fewer), but you know, ticket and TV revenue would never allow that.

Shorten the season.

They could easily go to a 140 game schedule (or fewer), but you know, ticket and TV revenue would never allow that.

The easiest way is to not have a northern team play a 10 game home stand in early April. So stupid. The average high in Minneapolis goes from 49 at the beginning of April to 64 at the end. I understand good climate teams not wanting a bunch of their home games in April as well. Just have teams like the Twins play more home games towards the end of the month instead of at the beginning.

Shorten the season.

I'll sign the petition. Even going back to the traditional 154-game schedule would be a help.

Per my other post, I'm not sure how much money the teams make for these poorly-attended bad-weather games. And even if they come ahead, is this going to tip the scales of any team to profitability? And if money and greed are the only reasons anyone ever does anything, why don't they just go to 200-game schedules and play in snowsuits? At some point, the quality of the sport has to count for something.

This is the reason I never got too much into my daughter's HS softball - just not enjoyable to attend her cold-weather games, which were most of them - and why the summer association league was the only thing I really looked forward to and enjoyed.

Gibson is either really good or bleepin' terrible. he never has an average game.

When the Twins got up 8-1, and he started nibbling, I knew they were going to p*ss away the lead.

And then, after the game, I heard an interview with Gibson, and it was all about how he made the pitches he wanted to, and the 'Stros just got lucky or found holes in the defense. But he was following the game plan. Yah, Sure.

I know the 'Stros have a damn good lineup. But Gibson drives me nuts. I was really hoping Hughes would get his stuff together and bump Gibson out of the rotation. I'd rather see them throw Gonsalves or another rookie in there instead of watching Gibson nibble on every stinkin' pitch. Arrrgh.

per Sid:

Kepler’s big moment

If the rumors were true that the Twins backed away from a trade with Tampa Bay for starting pitcher Chris Archer because the Rays wanted Max Kepler in the deal, the right fielder proved why it was a smart decision to veto that trade Wednesday.

Kepler finished 2-for-4 with three RBI, three runs scored and two homers, including a two-out, full-count, walk-off shot in the bottom of the ninth to lead the Twins past the defending World Series champion Houston Astros 9-8 at Target Field. His second homer also saved the Twins (6-4) from a potentially embarrassing loss, after Houston rallied from an 8-1 deficit to eventually tie the score in the ninth.

Kepler entered the game with only one homer, but he’s now hitting .281 with a .395 on-base percentage. He hit his third home run last season on May 13.

Is he trying to be more of a power hitter this season?

“Well, I have [14] to go [to match last year],” he said. “I’m working on that element every single day, day in and day out. But I wouldn’t consider myself any type of hitter. I like to grind.”

Kepler gave the Twins a great series-clinching victory early in a season that holds a lot of promise for the team and its young right fielder.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-max-kepler-saves-game-that-almost-got-away/479466563/

Win Twins!!

Joe gets his 2000th hit. Berrios looked very good again.

Joe gets his 2000th hit. Berrios looked very good again.

Berrios looked very very very very very good!

I was surprised Joe hadn't gotten to 2000 yet. I guess the bilateral leg weakness thing slowed him down for a while.

Berrios looked very very very very very good!

I was surprised Joe hadn't gotten to 2000 yet. I guess the bilateral leg weakness thing slowed him down for a while.

He walks a lot, that's a big reason why it's taken so long. Mauer and Ichiro have almost the same career BA but Joe's OBP is almost 40 points higher because he walks a bunch. Ichiro doesn't walk much so he ends up with more hits.

Judging by the comments on social media since last night, Mauer must be one of the most "hated by your own fan base" players ever.

Top Bottom