2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

Teams aren't running laps around the bases on him. And there's not 5 passed balls per night. He may not be the "pitch framer" Castro is, but I'll take an extra .100 points in batting average and 10 more HR's in exchange for a few missed strike calls.

Well, I really miss Brian Harper, so I might have to agree with you.

I'll take Murphy back. Thought they have up on him too soon

I think the Twins got too much heat for trading Hicks for him. It was worth taking a chance on him. Hicks wouldn't be playing right now anyways. He's hitting just .208 this season by the way.

Lance Lynn is going to get released if he keeps this up.

Thru 3 today

4 Hits 4 WALKS!!!!!! 3 Runs.

I can see why the Twins never sign expensive FAs. They never seem to work out

Lance Lynn is going to get released if he keeps this up.

Thru 3 today

4 Hits 4 WALKS!!!!!! 3 Runs.

I can see why the Twins never sign expensive FAs. They never seem to work out

82 pitches in just 3 innings. He and Hughes will be battling for the long reliever role when Santana is ready.

Would love to see Gonsalves called up to replace Lynn. Maybe he’s not ready yet.
At least Lynn only has a 1 year deal.

per Sid:

• The Twins have averaged only 20,398 fans per game, ahead of only Oakland, the Chicago White Sox and Tampa Bay in the American League.

• Alex Kirilloff, the Twins’ 2016 first-round pick, continues to have a big bounce-back season at Class A Cedar Rapids after missing all of 2017 with Tommy John surgery. The outfielder is hitting .310 with six home runs and 29 RBI in 31 games.

• Former Twins slugger Kennys Vargas continues to struggle at Class AAA Rochester, hitting .198 with three home runs and 11 RBI in 31 games.

• Royce Lewis is sixth in the Midwest League in hitting for Cedar Rapids with a .340 average. Lewis, only 18 years old and the No. 1 overall pick last year by the Twins, also has 12 RBI, 12 stolen bases and 16 runs scored in 25 games. He has struck out 13 times and walked nine.

http://www.startribune.com/manager-paul-molitor-encouraged-by-twins-progress/482872771/

Win Twins!!

I've been thinking about making a weekend trip down to Cedar Rapids - but I know as soon as I start buying tickets or making hotel reservations, that's when they'll move Lewis up to Fort Myers. When Morneau was coming up through the Minors, I actually went out to Toledo to watch the Triple-A club in a series, because I wanted to see Morneau - and they called Morneau up to the Twins a week before my vacation started.

I've been thinking about making a weekend trip down to Cedar Rapids - but I know as soon as I start buying tickets or making hotel reservations, that's when they'll move Lewis up to Fort Myers. When Morneau was coming up through the Minors, I actually went out to Toledo to watch the Triple-A club in a series, because I wanted to see Morneau - and they called Morneau up to the Twins a week before my vacation started.

If you go pre-draft, Lewis should still be in Cedar Rapids.

Gibson can look like an ace for a few games, then looks like a batting practice pitcher. So frustrating.

The lack of hitting is really pissing me off. They’re making a soft throwing lefty look like Sandy Koufax.

Oh, and the hottest hitter on the team is resting tonight even though he’s mostly a DH.

Sid: Derek Falvey says Twins are ready for current, future challenges

Twins Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey said before the start of the Twins series with the Brewers that he believes his team is in the midst of a turnaround after a slow start.

But you have to wonder if that outlook took a big hit with the news Saturday that Joe Mauer was headed to the 10-day disabled list with concussion symptoms and a neck injury.

On top of that, Byron Buxton continues to play with a broken toe and has hit so poorly, just 2-for-23 in seven games back, that he was removed from the starting lineup for the Twins’ 5-4 loss to Milwaukee on Saturday. That dropped the Twins to 18-23 and 2½ games out of first.

“We thought all along that this was a pretty talented team. We had a tough stretch there and didn’t play very well, a tough road trip, but I think that this team is now showing what it can be,” he said. “There is talent on the field. The pitching has continued to get better, and I think our defense, with Buxton returning and some other guys stepping up, we are playing better collectively.

“We have to get healthy. [It] doesn’t help with Jason [Castro] being out for the season], but I think the healthier we get the more consistency we’ll see in our performance. With Ervin [Santana] coming back, Trevor May being an option for us, and eventually when Miguel [Sano] can get healthy we think we’ll be a better team going forward.”

Falvey is also preparing for a big offseason, as a number of veterans are set to become free agents and an even larger number of young players will be arbitration-eligible for the first time.

He was asked what kind of effort the team will make to sign free agents Mauer, Brian Dozier and Eduardo Escobar.

“In all of those cases everyone is treated differently in terms of what they want to do and what their pursuits are. I have always subscribed to the idea that once you get to the season you want guys to focus on what they want to focus on, which is on the field,” he said. “You’re not ruling anything out, not ruling out any conversation you might have in the future.

“But these guys want to focus on what they’re doing here, and they’ve earned the opportunity to make that decision.”

http://www.startribune.com/derek-fa...ecisions-to-be-made-this-offseason/483125361/

Win Twins!!

If you're not watching, the Twins are playing a hell of a game against Detroit!

Rosario is so much fun to watch.
I told my wife that he reminds me of a healthy Tony Oliva. How he hit that last pitch is beyond me...and the catch to end the game...just drop the mic and walk away, son. [emoji41]

Twins have cut bait with Phil Hughes. It's the right move. But that $22 million had to be tough for Jim Pohlad to swallow. Carl is spinning.

Nick Gordon promoted to AAA - Brian Dozier's days as a Twin are numbered.

Per MLB.com:

The Twins promoted their No. 4 prospect, Nick Gordon, to Triple-A Rochester on Tuesday. The 22-year-old middle infielder, son of former MLB pitcher Tom Gordon and brother of the Mariners' Dee Gordon, hit .333/.381/.525 with 10 doubles, three triples, five home runs and seven steals in 42 games for Double-A Chattanooga this season.

Gordon, ranked as the No. 76 prospect overall according to MLB Pipeline, has moved steadily through Minnesota's organization since being selected fifth overall in the 2014 Draft. In a full season at Double-A in 2017, he slashed .270/.341/.408 with nine homers and 13 steals in 122 games.

https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-promote-prospect-nick-gordon-to-triple-a/c-277800572

Win Twins!!

They'll shop Dozier around the trade deadline if they Twins are out of playoff contention.

Nick Gordon promoted to AAA - Brian Dozier's days as a Twin are numbered.

Per MLB.com:

The Twins promoted their No. 4 prospect, Nick Gordon, to Triple-A Rochester on Tuesday. The 22-year-old middle infielder, son of former MLB pitcher Tom Gordon and brother of the Mariners' Dee Gordon, hit .333/.381/.525 with 10 doubles, three triples, five home runs and seven steals in 42 games for Double-A Chattanooga this season.

Gordon, ranked as the No. 76 prospect overall according to MLB Pipeline, has moved steadily through Minnesota's organization since being selected fifth overall in the 2014 Draft. In a full season at Double-A in 2017, he slashed .270/.341/.408 with nine homers and 13 steals in 122 games.

https://www.mlb.com/news/twins-promote-prospect-nick-gordon-to-triple-a/c-277800572

Win Twins!!
Yeah, as much as I love Dozier, it would be hard for me to offer him a long term contract if I was a GM. He's already 31 and is just too inconsistent at the plate. If we're too far back at the deadline you trade him. If we're still in it you can hold on to him and get a comp pick in next years draft, after he signs with another team in FA.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

They'll shop Dozier around the trade deadline if they Twins are out of playoff contention.

He better start producing if the Twins are going to get anything good for him.

I would say Rosario and Escobar are the heart and soul of these team right now. The older vets and injured youth are not pulling their weight

per STrib:

Injury updates

• Miguel Sano (strained hamstring) was the designated hitter for Class AAA Rochester in a 6-2 loss at Lehigh Valley on Monday, going 1-for-4. He will play third base Tuesday and Wednesday, and the Twins said they will decide if he is ready to return after that. And then? "We haven't made any decisions about [his] return," Molitor said of Sano, out since April 27 because of a strained hamstring. "We're going to take the information as it comes in the next couple of days."

That could mean Sano rejoins the Twins this weekend in Seattle.

"The news on the leg has been good," Molitor said. "He was going to get out before the game to do a little extra baserunning, because he hasn't been on base a ton yet."

• Ervin Santana was supposed to pitch in a game for the first time this year Monday, but rain in Fort Myers, Fla., canceled the extended spring training session. So the All-Star righthander will fly to Chattanooga, Tenn., on Tuesday and start Wednesday for the Class AA Lookouts.

• After staying home all weekend to allow his concussion-like symptoms to subside, Joe Mauer returned to Target Field on Monday for treatment on his sore neck and another couple of tests. Has his sensitivity to light, which returned late last week, and balance issues gone away? "He's doing a little better," Molitor said.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-de...ite-owing-him-more-than-22-million/483287711/

Win Twins!!

• After staying home all weekend to allow his concussion-like symptoms to subside, Joe Mauer returned to Target Field on Monday for treatment on his sore neck and another couple of tests. Has his sensitivity to light, which returned late last week, and balance issues gone away? "He's doing a little better," Molitor said.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-de...ite-owing-him-more-than-22-million/483287711/

Win Twins!!

BS. All the anti-Joe Mauer experts on social media have stated he's just a pussy that is making it all up and is stealing money from the team.

Apparently he also grounds out every time with RISP even though his career RISP average is .330 (.346 this year).

Yeah, as much as I love Dozier, it would be hard for me to offer him a long term contract if I was a GM. He's already 31 and is just too inconsistent at the plate. If we're too far back at the deadline you trade him. If we're still in it you can hold on to him and get a comp pick in next years draft, after he signs with another team in FA.

Sent from my LGL41C using Tapatalk

Yep. I'd rather give Escobar 3/$45 than Dozier 4/$80 or whatever it will take. He's more consistent at the plate and can play all 3 positions.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Lance Lynn, Twins staff ace!!

Nothing heals like a series against the Tigers. Good to see Lynn have some success though, maybe he can get things rolling.

Top Bottom