Page 56 of 56 FirstFirst ... 646545556

Quote Originally Posted by short ornery norwegian View Post
    this gets back to my central question about the new front office: what is the plan?

If the plan is "build through the farm system," then why did they sign guys like Morrison and Lynn? Yeah, I know it's easy to criticize moves that don't work out - but my point is that those signings seem like stop-gap measures. As in - "our best players in the farm system aren't ready, so we need to get some warm bodies in here to get through the season."

the blueprint is there from the World Series teams. the Twins built up the team from the farm system, and when they were ready to make a run, they supplemented the roster with timely trades or free-agent signings. (Reardon for the closer role in '87 - Jack Morris for the starting rotation in '91, etc.)

if that's what Falvey and Levine are planning, fine. I just wish they would spell it out a little more clearly.

And as far as free agents being willing to come to MN - pay someone enough money, and they'll go to Bumf*ck, Idaho. Just a question of how much you're willing to overpay.
    Because the team unexpectedly made the playoffs in 2017. So they made a few low risk, short-term moves during the off-season to try to make another run. Lots of things didn't work out this year so they traded most of them away and got some solid return for players that weren't going to be on the team next year anyways.

I think it's obvious they are going to try to build from within for the most part. They're stockpiling prospects, hoping a few turn out to be very good around the same time and then fill in the holes in free agency or trades. It's what KC, Houston, and Chicago did recently to win titles.

STrib: Postgame: Astudillo "wanted to show that chubby people also run"

Astudillo will be remembered far more for his hitting — and especially his baserunning — than his catching in this one, however. The rookie cracked a two-out single in the seventh inning to score Jake Cave, his ninth RBI in just 18 games with the Twins. And when Max Kepler followed with a long drive to left-center that Aaron Hicks dove for, unsuccessfully, Astudillo raced around the bases, his long hair blowing in the wind after losing his helmet around second base.

“Man, I don’t know,” Molitor laughed at the play. “That was painful to watch that jaunt around the bases.”

OK, so he’s not Usain Bolt, but you have to give Astudillo credit for chugging along as fast as he could.

"I just wanted to show that chubby people also run,” he joked. “I saw the outfielder. It was going to be an uncomfortable play for him to make. And it was two outs, so I just hustled.”

http://www.startribune.com/postgame-...run/493124341/

Win Twins!!

Enough of this nonsense that the Yankees only succeed because of their payroll.

Is it too early for the 2019 Draft watch, as far as which slot the Twins will end up in? I think not!!

Realistically, the Twins could end up with as high as the 9th overall pick or as low as the 12th. Not as big of a deal as it is in other major sports drafts but it still matters.

I'm hoping for more results like yesterday; one of the young players (like Kohl Stewart last night) shows some promise and has a great game but they blow it in the end.
    - Respect is the ultimate currency