2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

And Cleveland just went a long way to fixing their biggest weakness by getting Brad Hand from the Padres.
Dammit.

And Cleveland just went a long way to fixing their biggest weakness by getting Brad Hand from the Padres.
Dammit.

Meh. They were always go to get BP help. If this is their only move, it doesn't move the needle.

Cleveland's roster is significantly better than the Twins, and without a healthy and productive Sano/Buxton, we have no chance.

It's definitely time to move on from Dozier and whoever else can bring back a decent return.

Baseball Prospectus making a strong case for the Twins getting a high price in return for Ryan Pressly. After reading, I'd say be open to trading him but only if you can get an 'A' prospect in return. I see him as a guy that can slide into a primary setup role with a contending team and be a difference in a World Series run. Think: the difference Juan Berenguer or Keith Atherton made in the 1987 stretch run and playoffs.

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/...-cant-help-falling-in-love-with-ryan-pressly/
Personally I would take pressley, Duke and Belile behind the bullpen bleachers and shoot them, so anyone dumb enough to give us a good prospect for any of them do it

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I’m surprised at the hate for Pressley. I know he’s been frustrating at times, but I certainly wouldn’t put him on the same level as Duke and Belisle. For so long we’ve been complaining about having a bunch of “pitch to contact” pitchers. Pressley’s one of the top strikeout relievers in all of baseball.

If Rodney is traded, I’d like to see Pressley get a shot at closer. Maybe it’s a role he could excel at. I wonder if his struggles have partly to do with how often he’s used.

Pressly is frustrating because he's got good stuff - but he's so inconsistent. Fastball in upper 90's, good curve ball - but his location is spotty, and when he over-throws the fast ball, it tends to straighten out and say "hit me."

I suspect this is a classic case of "million dollar arm - ten-cent head." Maybe a different pitching coach could get through to him. Or Maybe not.

But - if another team is willing to give up a decent prospect, I'd move Pressly in a heartbeat. (although his girlfriend/fiance is smoking hot, so there is that....)

Sid: Paul Molitor, Twins have experienced month-long rolls before

Manager Paul Molitor knows the Twins’ recent 9-2 homestand probably saved the season, coming after a 1-8 road trip that could have sunk the team in the American League Central standings.

“We were at a point where we had to do something to just keep our heads above water and give us some optimism coming out of the break,” Molitor said. “We could have potentially, if things were reversed, buried ourselves somewhat.

“It just kind of keeps our hopes alive of what we’re trying to accomplish here. We still have an uphill battle. But it was a nice way to respond after that trip to Chicago and Milwaukee, where we just couldn’t find ways to win. This home-stand hopefully bodes well as we start the second half on Friday.”

Over his first three seasons as manager, Molitor has posted a .457 winning percentage after the All-Star break compared to .475 in the first half, but what is more telling is that in the Twins’ two above-.500 seasons under Molitor, they had a dominant month at some point in the season.

In 2015 they went 20-7 (.741) in May while posting only one other winning month on the season, which came in September when they went 15-13 (.536).

Last season they turned it around in August, going 20-10 (.667) and taking control of the second AL wild-card playoff spot. They also had marginally winning months in April (12-11, .522) and May (14-12, .538).

Molitor said several players contributed offensively to the Twins’ recent winning stretch.

“That was a big part of our success,” he said. “As much as [Eduardo] Escobar and [Eddie] Rosario had good first halves, we saw [Brian] Dozier have a good homestand, Joe [Mauer], [Jorge] Polanco, I think, has helped coming back. [Jake] Cave has done a nice job and gotten hits for us. We’re spreading it out a little bit more. That makes it a lot easier to score runs consistently.”

http://www.startribune.com/paul-molitor-twins-have-experienced-month-long-rolls-before/488681681/

Win Twins!!

STrib: False starts to careers of Miguel Sano, Byron Buxton leave Twins with hope, concerns

The stakes could not be higher. Twins officials openly say so themselves: Byron Buxton and Miguel Sano will overcome their recent woes and become consistent standouts — or the whole organization is back to square one.

Against that backdrop, the Twins have spent long stretches this season looking like a car missing two wheels, even as they gained speed before the All-Star break.

Buxton and Sano, the organization’s prized cornerstones, both were healthy enough to play for the Twins during the team’s recent surge, but Chief Baseball Officer Derek Falvey kept them in the minors to heal their swings and their psyches. In some ways, those projects have become just as important as the 2018 season itself.

“We certainly aren’t going to be playoff-bound and have any chance to really win if Buxton and Sano aren’t pillars of our lineup,” said Mike Radcliff, the Twins’ vice president of player personnel. “What are we going to do, trade them? They have no value right now. We have to get them right.”

Where are they now? Buxton, 24, is on the disabled list at Class AAA Rochester, recovering from left wrist inflammation. Sano, 25, is at Class A Fort Myers, where he just returned after tending to a family matter this week in the Dominican Republic.

With each passing week that these two aren’t thriving in the majors, more people wonder if they’re ever going to live up to their ballyhooed potential.

“I would be much more concerned about Sano than Buxton if I were in Derek Falvey’s shoes,” said Keith Law, an ESPN baseball analyst who ranks the game’s top prospects. “Because of [Sano’s] size, the bat always has to be there. Buxton can have a bad year with the bat and still provide value because he’s Usain Bolt and plays the heck out of center.”

http://www.startribune.com/false-st...ton-leave-twins-with-hope-concerns/488682521/

Win Twins!!

Twins get swept by KC, now 15-31 on the road this season.

MLB Replay messes up again.

And Matt Magill hasn't pitched since July 10th. Why have him on the team if you're never going to use him? I'd rather him get more innings than Belisle.

Can you think of a better way to signify the end of the Twins' hopes this year of contending than a Drew Butera inside-the-park HR? You couldn't make that up in a hundred years.

Sell!! Sell!!! Sell!!!!

Can you think of a better way to signify the end of the Twins' hopes this year of contending than a Drew Butera inside-the-park HR? You couldn't make that up in a hundred years.

Sell!! Sell!!! Sell!!!!

Ha!! Sell indeed.

Win Twins!!

Sell!! Sell!!! Sell!!!!

So true.

Anyone heard an explanation from MLB as to why the Gordon "catch" was not overturned yesterday? Still baffles me.

So true.

Anyone heard an explanation from MLB as to why the Gordon "catch" was not overturned yesterday? Still baffles me.

It couldn't have more clearly bounced off the grass. It is incredible that they didn't overturn it. That said....it probably wouldn't have played an outcome in the game. Still would have been a runner at first with two outs.

It couldn't have more clearly bounced off the grass. It is incredible that they didn't overturn it. That said....it probably wouldn't have played an outcome in the game. Still would have been a runner at first with two outs.

It could have affected what happened later in the game. If that is overturned, the Twins can challenge the double play attempt before Buter's inside the park homerun. I think there's a chance that is overturned and the HR doesn't happen.

It could have affected what happened later in the game. If that is overturned, the Twins can challenge the double play attempt before Buter's inside the park homerun. I think there's a chance that is overturned and the HR doesn't happen.
True. Regardless....it was a terrible call.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Dozier and Escobar both removed from the game, looks like we have a big trade coming likely to Milwaukee. Let's hope we get something good in return.

Win Twins!!

Dozier and Escobar both removed from the game, looks like we have a big trade coming likely to Milwaukee. Let's hope we get something good in return.

Win Twins!!

I love starting over every few years. The Twins are playing the REALLY long game.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

Perspective...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Much of what you've heard me say is based on the analysis and perspective by Gleeman and his fellows in the blogging community. It's good to not get discouraged by one unfortunate season. Heck, look at the Cubs: arguably the best run and best managed team in the whole shooting match, and they're struggling to recapture the lightning in a bottle from their championship campaign. Long term, the Twins are on the upswing.

I think the biggest frustration has come from Buxton and Sano, especially Buxton. His second half last year was great, now he looks clueless again. Doesn't make sense.

I think the biggest frustration has come from Buxton and Sano, especially Buxton. His second half last year was great, now he looks clueless again. Doesn't make sense.

I've never made the impression that Buxton was ever going to be a great hitter. Teams may have figured him out or hes not as good at guessing this year.

When Sano was first called up, I thought he was going to be a great hitter. Not looking so good now

I've never made the impression that Buxton was ever going to be a great hitter. Teams may have figured him out or hes not as good at guessing this year.

When Sano was first called up, I thought he was going to be a great hitter. Not looking so good now
When Sano first came up, he had good plate discipline. Now he swings from his heels weather it's 0-2 or 3-0 and it doesn't much matter if it's a strike.

Buxton might be one of those head cases that is constantly effing around with his swing, like an 18 handicap golfer.

Tough spot for Falvine. 7 back. Not far from where they were last year.

Tough spot for Falvine. 7 back. Not far from where they were last year.

I still think you listen to offers. If you get a good offer, you take it in my opinion. If the offers aren't very good, just stay with what you have.

I know some of the fan base will be pissed if they trade away guys like Dozier or Escobar but even if this team somehow makes it to the playoffs, there's very little chance they go very far.

Buxton seems to take forever to get somewhat dialed in against major league pitching. I think If he had stayed healthy this season he would have become productive again. Not sure if he can tone down his aggressive defense a bit?

I wonder what our record against better teams (excluding the yankees as we always lose to them) this season is vs the crappy teams? Seems like we are always getting swept by a bottom dweller then turning around and playing really well against a division leader.

I wonder what our record against better teams (excluding the yankees as we always lose to them) this season is vs the crappy teams? Seems like we are always getting swept by a bottom dweller then turning around and playing really well against a division leader.

I was curious too.....

Against the best teams (Boston, Houston, NY Yankees, Seattle, Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee, Cleveland) the Twins are 13-22, 13-18 if you exclude the Yankees.

Against the middle of the road teams (Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, LA Angels, St. Louis) the Twins are 10-10.

Against the awful teams (Toronto, Cincinnati, Detroit, Texas, White Sox, Kansas City, Baltimore) the Twins are 25-21. The 6-1 record against Baltimore does skew that record to some degree.

I was curious too.....

Against the best teams (Boston, Houston, NY Yankees, Seattle, Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee, Cleveland) the Twins are 13-22, 13-18 if you exclude the Yankees.

Against the middle of the road teams (Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, LA Angels, St. Louis) the Twins are 10-10.

Against the awful teams (Toronto, Cincinnati, Detroit, Texas, White Sox, Kansas City, Baltimore) the Twins are 25-21. The 6-1 record against Baltimore does skew that record to some degree.

Thanks for looking that up! I guess we aren't doing as well against the better teams as I thought.

Top Bottom