2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

I assume the entire coaching staff is gone following the season, but #1 on my list to go is James Rowson. I've harped on this before, but if baffles me how many times I've seen a Twins hitter come up to the plate with the bases loaded and swing at the first pitch. They have to throw you a strike at some point. Make the other team prove that they can find the strike zone. Rosario and Dozier are the worst offenders for this.

The hitters just look clueless up there. I don't know what they're being told but it isn't working. Dozier's OPS went from .856 last year to .687 this year. That's a huge drop.

The hitters just look clueless up there. I don't know what they're being told but it isn't working. Dozier's OPS went from .856 last year to .687 this year. That's a huge drop.

I am waiting for Dozier to get hot. If he doesn’t before the deadline I guess he will go into free agency with much less leverage.
The White Sox walked Escobar in the 10th to pitch to Dozier who struck out on 3 pitches I think.

I am not a Mauer hater, but the best thing he could do is retire while he has some brain function.

Me either. But he looks terrible. It apparently took him 3-4 years to fully recover from the last concussion. Even if this was comparatively minor, it's clearly affecting him. Why continue? This season is lost. You got your $. Go enjoy your family.

The Twins will enter July being the only team in MLB to not score double digit runs in a game this year. The Cubs have done it 13 times.

Me either. But he looks terrible. It apparently took him 3-4 years to fully recover from the last concussion. Even if this was comparatively minor, it's clearly affecting him.

Hot take. Oops.

Most runs they've scored in a 3-game series all year (2nd most of any series) and they get swept. They keep finding different ways to lose.

It's a strange year. Now they're not only in last place in MLB for number of 3-run home runs hit, they're leading MLB in giving up 3-run homers to pitchers.

Time to clean house. Trade Dozier, Lynn, Rodney, Duke and Morrison. Cut Belisle, Wilson, and Grossman. Get Gordon, Sleggers, Buesinitz, Moya, Vargas, Duffey and Buxton up here and let the guys who might be on the team in 2019 play.

Time to clean house. Trade Dozier, Lynn, Rodney, Duke and Morrison. Cut Belisle, Wilson, and Grossman. Get Gordon, Sleggers, Buesinitz, Moya, Vargas, Duffey and Buxton up here and let the guys who might be on the team in 2019 play.

That would be bold. That would be what Griffith did when he went young in 1982. There was a lot of losing right away, but that core won a championship.

That would be bold. That would be what Griffith did when he went young in 1982. There was a lot of losing right away, but that core won a championship.

They did the same thing again in the mid-90s with the Hunter/Koskie/Mientkiewicz/Radke/etc. crew - they didn't win a title, of course, but were in the hunt for many years in a row when that core came of age. It seems to be about the only way a team outside of the Red Sox/Yankees/Giants/Dodgers level can contend - go young and suffer through the growing pains, hoping they'll mature before you lose them to free agency. The Marlins twice utilized this theory to win two World Series with entirely different rosters - and might be able to do it again if Jeter doesn't get himself killed first.

They did the same thing again in the mid-90s with the Hunter/Koskie/Mientkiewicz/Radke/etc. crew - they didn't win a title, of course, but were in the hunt for many years in a row when that core came of age. It seems to be about the only way a team outside of the Red Sox/Yankees/Giants/Dodgers level can contend - go young and suffer through the growing pains, hoping they'll mature before you lose them to free agency. The Marlins twice utilized this theory to win two World Series with entirely different rosters - and might be able to do it again if Jeter doesn't get himself killed first.

Hrbek was promoted from A ball in September, made the team out of spring training the next year, and was runner-up for rookie of the year. Crazy move, but Griffith had an eye for talent and thought he was ready. At the same time, they kept Puckett stashed in the minors til May of '84 because they wanted him to work on some things, so just throwing guys into the fire isn't for everyone. These things are definitely situational.

The big overarching mistake this management team has made this year is thinking they were contenders. Last year was cute, but they were the equivalent of the 1984 team. That group experienced fits and starts and growing pains, and needed significant pieces added through trade and free agency in 1987 in order to achieve what they achieved. Thinking this team was closer than they are led to, among other things, forcing Buxton into action with a broken toe, which still floors me that they did that.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

That's the Minnesota way. Unfortunately we only seem to have the management in place to rebuild for first round exits. Same applies to the Wolves and Wild. Rinse and repeat.

Not that bold. You'd still have Mauer, Rosario, Kepler, Polanco, Escobar and Buxton from the original projected Opening Day position players and 80% of your original projected starting rotation once Santana comes back.

Not that bold. You'd still have Mauer, Rosario, Kepler, Polanco, Escobar and Buxton from the original projected Opening Day line-up.

...as the '82 squad still had Washington, Smalley, Ward, and Doug Corbett.

The bold part would be consciously, publicly getting off the idea that adding a few mid-cost pieces to last year's team could put them over the top and instead going with a youth movement. That would be eye-popping.

...as the '82 squad still had Washington, Smalley, Ward, and Doug Corbett.

The bold part would be consciously, publicly getting off the idea that adding a few mid-cost pieces to last year's team could put them over the top and instead going with a youth movement. That would be eye-popping.

It's a completely different situation than 1982. This is not blow it up and start over. They still can and should compete for the division next year. The core of this team is still there, and they'd only have a projected payroll of about $65 million going into the off-season. They can afford to play big in FA and try again in 2019. But in the meantime, there's no reason to hang on to Lynn, Dozier etc. who have little/no chance to be on the 2019 roster.

The 1997 Marlins were a very vet built team

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/FLA/1997-roster.shtml

It's a completely different situation than 1982. This is not blow it up and start over. They still can and should compete for the division next year. The core of this team is still there, and they'd only have a projected payroll of about $65 million going into the off-season. They can afford to play big in FA and try again in 2019. But in the meantime, there's no reason to hang on to Lynn, Dozier etc. who have little/no chance to be on the 2019 roster.

Yup. I agree with this. The starting pitching has been surprisingly good for the most part. Santana coming back should/could help, Romero should get some more innings with the big league club this year and be much improved next year. The bullpen has been massively disappointing for the pieces they picked up. Just woeful.

Even if they are sellers in a few weeks, I don't know that they have a whole lot that would garner any decent return. It would be nice to see them do something though. It wouldn't be a terrible idea to be a "buyer" in a few weeks if they can get someone that's NOT a 2-month rental that would have a future with the team. They'd need to part with some higher level prospects but I would like to see them actually try to do that.

This last week or two has been unbelievably painful though. Holy shat.

If you really want to transform a franchise, the way to do it is like the Astros. Completely strip it down, finish in last place or close to last for 3-4 years, and stockpile draft picks.

Of course, this assumes your front office can make good picks, but if you hit on most of your picks, then in a few years, you have a group of talented young players coming up from the minors as a unit. supplement that with a couple of well-chosen free agents, and you've got a contending team.

The problem is that franchises don't want to bite the bullet and finish in last place for 3 or 4 years in a row. So they tell themselves, we can rebuild or regroup and still be in playoff contention. Just like the Wild, the Twins, and every other team that spends eternity mired in the middle of the pack.

If you want to turn a franchise from a loser into a winner, you have to start at the bottom.

If you really want to transform a franchise, the way to do it is like the Astros. Completely strip it down, finish in last place or close to last for 3-4 years, and stockpile draft picks.

Of course, this assumes your front office can make good picks, but if you hit on most of your picks, then in a few years, you have a group of talented young players coming up from the minors as a unit. supplement that with a couple of well-chosen free agents, and you've got a contending team.

The problem is that franchises don't want to bite the bullet and finish in last place for 3 or 4 years in a row. So they tell themselves, we can rebuild or regroup and still be in playoff contention. Just like the Wild, the Twins, and every other team that spends eternity mired in the middle of the pack.

If you want to turn a franchise from a loser into a winner, you have to start at the bottom.

You don't necessarily have to finish in last place to get good prospects or stockpile draft picks. The Astros picked 1st overall three years in a row (2012-2014). One didn't sign, one is retired, and the other is Carlos Correa.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

And, the loss of the Hormel Row of Fame. Great for lunch, great for dinner, you will be a wiener winner....

Why does Bobby Wilson play so much? I get that he's better behind the plate but should let Garver do most of the catching.

Bobby Wilson. Go ahead and winning RBI today. Congarats.

per Shooter:

Nearly five years ago this month, Joe and Maddie Mauer welcomed twin daughters into the world. Now, the family is expanding. A third child is expected for the couple near Thanksgiving Day.

The new addition for the Minnesota Twins’ first baseman and his wife from St. Paul won’t be twins, however. And it’s unclear whether the baby will be a boy or girl.

The Mauers already have considered names. If it’s a boy, Joe Jr.?

“You never know,” Joe said with a smile.

Mauer, 35, a three-time American League batting champion, is hitting .258 this season. But he’s still at .307 for his wonderful 15-year career.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/07/charley-walters-mauers-getting-ready-for-child-no-3/

Win Twins!!

Top Bottom