2018 Minnesota Twins In-Season Thread

per Shooter:

How bad was the Twins’ Miguel Sano before being sent down to Class A Fort Myers last week? In his fourth season in the major leagues, in 163 plate appearances, he batted .203 with 66 strikeouts.

Teammate Byron Buxton, also in his fourth season in the majors, is batting .156 with 28 strikeouts in 94 plate appearances.

Four years ago, Sano, now 25, and Buxton, now 24, were considered among baseball’s top prospects. It’s unclear what the Twins could get in a trade for Sano, who says (wink, wink) he weighs 270 pounds. Buxton is a difference maker on defense, so he won’t be traded.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/16/charley-walters-2/

Win Twins!!

Chip: Young Twins' struggles leave organization at a crossroads

The situation isn’t worst-case scenario, yet. But those who gazed into the Twins future and saw rainbows and puppy kisses received another blunt reminder that baseball development cannot be scripted or predicted with ironclad certainty.

The Twins begin an important three-game series Tuesday against the Boston Red Sox. Berrios is scheduled to start the opener. His career arc is trending in the direction of him becoming staff ace. As predicted.

Elsewhere Tuesday, Buxton is expected to begin what sounds like an extended rehab assignment at Class AAA Rochester while Sano is starting from scratch in Florida and Polanco continues to serve his 80-game suspension stemming from a positive test for performance-enhancing drugs.

To further illustrate how Murphy’s Law has engulfed this season, Polanco’s minor league assignment was delayed after he suffered a cut on his finger when his hand got jammed in a door.

Of course.

By some minor miracle the Twins continue to tread water as a sub-.500 team yet trail division-leading Cleveland by only 5½ games. They have avoided being buried despite getting limited contributions (or nothing at all) from Buxton, Sano, Polanco, Brian Dozier, Joe Mauer, Logan Morrison and Ervin Santana.

With the exception of Eddie Rosario in left and Kepler in right, major questions loom at every position in evaluating future plans.

http://www.startribune.com/young-twins-struggles-leave-organization-at-a-crossroads/485879071/

Win Twins!!

Two wins in a row over the Red Sox!!

Win Twins!!

Two wins in a row over the Red Sox!!

Win Twins!!

Holy crap, how many teams this year will beat Sale and Price (joke in there somewhere) on consecutive nights? That was impressive. Can’t wait to see if Gibson can continue to roll later this morning. I’m sure it helps that (if I’m not mistaken), the Red Sox are finishing the tail end of a 9 or 10 game road trip.

But we’ll take it!!

Holy crap, how many teams this year will beat Sale and Price (joke in there somewhere) on consecutive nights? That was impressive. Can’t wait to see if Gibson can continue to roll later this morning. I’m sure it helps that (if I’m not mistaken), the Red Sox are finishing the tail end of a 9 or 10 game road trip.

But we’ll take it!!

Twins have to finish this off. Cant afford just to win series at this point

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Win Twins!!

If the Twins go 2-1 in every series from now until the end of the season, they'll win 94 games and most likely win the AL Central going away.

Ok. But its easier to win at home right? There's going to be 1-2 and 0-3 series on the road at some point. Sweeping at home and getting a good home record can mitigate that.

In other words, beaned.

This team continues to be so unwatchable. The bottom of the 6th was a great representation of the season. Horrible base running mistake and missed opportunities.

Great move bringing back Belisle.

This team continues to be so unwatchable. The bottom of the 6th was a great representation of the season. Horrible base running mistake and missed opportunities.

Great move bringing back Belisle.

I agree with those who say that this is the worst base running team they've ever seen.

The very fact that the Twins are playing Taylor Motter and Matt Belisle is just more proof that Falvey and Lavine don't give a rat's butt about this season. They are planning for 2 and 3 years down the road, at least.

The Twins' brain-trust may not say it publicly, but they have run up the white flag on this season. Expect some salary-dumping in the second half of the season. It's going to get uglier before it gets better. And that is assuming that Falvey and Lavine know what they're doing.......

The very fact that the Twins are playing Taylor Motter and Matt Belisle is just more proof that Falvey and Lavine don't give a rat's butt about this season. They are planning for 2 and 3 years down the road, at least.

The Twins' brain-trust may not say it publicly, but they have run up the white flag on this season. Expect some salary-dumping in the second half of the season. It's going to get uglier before it gets better. And that is assuming that Falvey and Lavine know what they're doing.......

It's really too bad. Because the Twins are not out of the race yet. It's a disservice to the fans to pack it in this early.

In their defense, the complete collapse of Sano and Buxton didn't do them any favors this year.

In their defense, the complete collapse of Sano and Buxton didn't do them any favors this year.

Agree. If they both take another step forward, instead of two steps backward, this team is probably at least .500. Throw in that Dozier has been terrible and Kepler hasn't taken a step forward either and we are where we are.

The good news is Dozier has been significantly better in the 2nd half the last two seasons. If Buxton and Sano can come back and produce, this team still has a chance.

per Shooter:

Twins manager Paul Molitor on demoted Miguel Sano, who in three games at Class A Fort Myers has a single and double in 12 at-bats and is batting .167 with three strikeouts: “The reports are that he’s working his tail off in the gym in the mornings, and when appropriate, we’re getting him in the games.”

Meanwhile, with 12 at-bats at Fort Myers since his promotion, Alex Kirilloff has four singles and a home run, has struck out just once and is hitting .417.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/06/...wing-hard-says-twins-eduardo-doubles-escobar/

Win Twins!!

Are Falvey and Lavine purposely trying to tank the season so they can fire Molitor? I get the feeling they like Molitor about as much as Coyle liked Claeys.

Are Falvey and Lavine purposely trying to tank the season so they can fire Molitor? I get the feeling they like Molitor about as much as Coyle liked Claeys.
No. They don’t need a reason. They can fire him tomorrow, if they want. They *will* fire him at the end of this season, if they miss the playoffs.

No. They don’t need a reason. They can fire him tomorrow, if they want. They *will* fire him at the end of this season, if they miss the playoffs.

At this point, the Twins have less than a 5% chance of making the postseason.

Souhan: Affordable contract would keep Joe Mauer in good standing with Twins, community

The most interesting dynamic in these decisions is that Twins ownership and St. Peter tend to value clubhouse leaders and community ambassadors, and the new front office relies on analytics when determining player salaries.

The key to keeping Mauer around might be his willingness to take a massive pay cut.

As someone who has built a life in Minnesota, who wants to raise his kids here, the best thing Mauer could do for his image is to sign an affordable contract, to give the hometown team a break, and finish his career as a bargain instead of a financial burden.

http://www.startribune.com/affordab...good-standing-with-twins-community/486407201/

Win Twins!!

Souhan: Affordable contract would keep Joe Mauer in good standing with Twins, community

The most interesting dynamic in these decisions is that Twins ownership and St. Peter tend to value clubhouse leaders and community ambassadors, and the new front office relies on analytics when determining player salaries.

The key to keeping Mauer around might be his willingness to take a massive pay cut.

As someone who has built a life in Minnesota, who wants to raise his kids here, the best thing Mauer could do for his image is to sign an affordable contract, to give the hometown team a break, and finish his career as a bargain instead of a financial burden.

http://www.startribune.com/affordab...good-standing-with-twins-community/486407201/

Win Twins!!

If Joe wants to keep playing, he's taking a massive pay cut no matter where he goes. There won't be any "hometown discount" because he's not getting more anyplace else.

If Joe wants to keep playing, he's taking a massive pay cut no matter where he goes. There won't be any "hometown discount" because he's not getting more anyplace else.

He will make $5 million or less next season no matter where he plays. I expect it will be with the Twins.

Kepler with a bases-loaded walk in the 13th inning as the Twins knock off the White Sox.

Win Twins!!

7 hits in 13 innings against the White Sox.

I assume the entire coaching staff is gone following the season, but #1 on my list to go is James Rowson. I've harped on this before, but if baffles me how many times I've seen a Twins hitter come up to the plate with the bases loaded and swing at the first pitch. They have to throw you a strike at some point. Make the other team prove that they can find the strike zone. Rosario and Dozier are the worst offenders for this.

Win Twins!!

I am not a Mauer hater, but the best thing he could do is retire while he has some brain function.

Top Bottom