Hank Bachmeier and Max Duggan

The last Crystal Ball prediction was trending 48% TCU.

Patterson and Crumbie must have really sold him on TCU system being identical to the one he ran in HS.

It will be interesting to see if he eventually wins the starting job with the stable of QBs they already have:
Michael Collins, 6' 5", 210 lbs, SO, 0.7667, New Canaan CT (Transferred from Penn)
Grayson Muehlstein, 6' 4", 210 lbs, SR, 0.8550, Decatur TX
Karson Ringdahl, 6' 3", 205 lbs, SO, Unrated, Columbia MO
Shawn Robinson, 6' 2", 225 lbs, SO, 0.9222, DeSoto TX
Justin Rogers, 6' 4", 210 lbs, FR, 0.9772, Bossier City LA

Well, good luck to him and we move on to the next prospect whoever that may be.

If they don't need us, we don't need them.

We only need players who need to be here.

Nope, we definitely do need players who don’t “need” us and Dugan is one of them. In fact if they do “need” us then they probably aren’t the caliber of player we would ideally want anyway. If our coaches had this mentality then we’d never be able to get any recruits with other decent options, the type we actually do need to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So our gut feeling that he would take the comfort pick was right. If he is good enough to have a shot at the pros then picking a school that has a spread like his old high school, and as he said, would be easier to learn, doesn’t reflect well on his willingness to take on a challenge. High school is like the pre-school of learning football, kind of early to be getting set in your ways. I am not saying that TCU can’t produce good QB’s, it is just that a QB shouldn’t just be looking for something he his familiar with at this stage in his career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So our gut feeling that he would take the comfort pick was right. If he is good enough to have a shot at the pros then picking a school that has a spread like his old high school, and as he said, would be easier to learn, doesn’t reflect well on his willingness to take on a challenge. High school is like the pre-school of learning football, kind of early to be getting set in your ways. I am not saying that TCU can’t produce good QB’s, it is just that a QB shouldn’t just be looking for something he his familiar with at this stage in his career.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agree with much of what you write but it's not like Kirk's offense is a pro-style attack

Quarterbacks transfer on a regular basis. The numbers say there’s a pretty good chance he doesn’t finish his career at TCU. Who knows? Fleck might get a phone call from him in a couple years.

This feels like a big miss to me, they had him on campus multiple times and he might be the favorite to come in and start as a Freshman (certainly would be the highest rated QB on the roster) and it takes one visit to TCU and they lose him to a team that has two kids ahead of him with as good or better recruiting pedigrees. I would have to imagine our lack of passing attempts/success in PJ's first year had some impact on his decision to go elsewhere.

It doesn't seem like anybody knows where they go from here at the QB position and after missing out last season that is a major concern to me. It's always a possibility someone like Morgan, Annexstad, or Kramer will turn out to be great, but being in a position to need a QB to surprise is not a great spot to be in.

Without a doubt, yes.

(far more fun panicking that being rational about this)

tenor.gif

rwNqqt7.gif

DymEe.gif

hyperventalating.gif~c200

Now that we didn't get Duggan, I down-voted this thread with only one star.

There's a 50/50 chance he'll actually sign with TCU. He was seemingly very undecided this time last week. He might flip to somewhere, and that somewhere might be Minnesota. PJ doesn't like to take commits that might flip.

I blame the weather. Who doesn’t want to head south right now??

Could be...he also made a comment on the friendly campus; I took that as code for the TCU cheer girls. Can’t really blame him as a young guy, probably intoxicating.

He may be waking up this morning realizing what have I done; I turned down an ideal path to starting at MN for a very uncertain path at TCU. In the end, every person is diffferent and makes choices on their own set of criteria (including non-athletic) and he seems like a class act. Good luck to him. We’re on to the next.

This feels like a big miss to me, they had him on campus multiple times and he might be the favorite to come in and start as a Freshman (certainly would be the highest rated QB on the roster) and it takes one visit to TCU and they lose him to a team that has two kids ahead of him with as good or better recruiting pedigrees. I would have to imagine our lack of passing attempts/success in PJ's first year had some impact on his decision to go elsewhere.

It doesn't seem like anybody knows where they go from here at the QB position and after missing out last season that is a major concern to me. It's always a possibility someone like Morgan, Annexstad, or Kramer will turn out to be great, but being in a position to need a QB to surprise is not a great spot to be in.

You could easily flip that around to a positive. "Last year we couldn't pass because of our QB play. We really need you so we can do the things we want to."

Could be...he also made a comment on the friendly campus; I took that as code for the TCU cheer girls. Can’t really blame him as a young guy, probably intoxicating.

He may be waking up this morning realizing what have I done; I turned down an ideal path to starting at MN for a very uncertain path at TCU. In the end, every person is diffferent and makes choices on their own set of criteria (including non-athletic) and he seems like a class act. Good luck to him. We’re on to the next.

Losing him is someone else's gain - Kramer, Annexstad, Viramontes, and Morgan in terms of playing time.

Maybe to a QB recruit MN is not as sexy as a TCU with a much better winning track record with established supporting cast and the promise of a similar system ran in HS. The down side is you have to battle a couple of higher rated QBs ahead of you.

IMHO, you'd think that a young highly recruited QB would opt for a team that is on the rise where you have a very reasonable chance of being the starter. The Gophers are building a team that can and will compete with the big boys ahead of them. This is a big miss for the Gophers.

Or - maybe he just liked what TCU had to offer.

Gets back to the old chicken and egg argument.

To become a winning program, you need to recruit better players.

But, in order to recruit better players, you need to be a winning program.

In other words, once you're in that top-20 caliber, it's a lot easier to attract the kind of players you need to stay there.

It's a lot harder for teams outside of the top rung to get the players you need to move into the top rung.

Read his interview from a week or so ago. He said he felt comfortable with the spread like offense at TCU because it was similar to what he ran in High School. He also thought it was an easier offense to play in. Stop trying to blame it all on the weather, PJ, our lack of a passing game last year, etc.

It was soooo fun believing we were gonna end up with a top flight qb.

Back to reality of developing local talent, since we’ve all loved that process the last umteen times we’ve done it.

Some of those TCU girls are really cute.

It was soooo fun believing we were gonna end up with a top flight qb.

Back to reality of developing local talent, since we’ve all loved that process the last umteen times we’ve done it.

True. We were in the conversation...

It's better to have loved and lost than never loved at all, right?

IMHO, you'd think that a young highly recruited QB would opt for <b>a team that is on the rise </b>where you have a very reasonable chance of being the starter. The Gophers are building a team that can and will compete with the big boys ahead of them. This is a big miss for the Gophers.

Based on what would anyone outside of a diehard Gopher fan view us as a team on the rise?

We cooled on Bachmeier.

Young QBs want to do great things in college and have great coaches. Based on last year's QB performance, would you come here?

Young QBs want to do great things in college and have great coaches. Based on last year's QB performance, would you come here?

Yeah it was totally the coaches fault that our best QB transferred to Tennessee St. All those FBS schools couldn’t wait to scoop him up.

Yeah it was totally the coaches fault that our best QB transferred to Tennessee St. All those FBS schools couldn’t wait to scoop him up.

Do our coaches deserve any blame for the train wreck that was our 2017 season?

I think it could be argued that the coaches didn't exactly put our QBs in the best position to succeed. I agree that Croft wasn't very good, but I don't think our game planning helped him one bit.

Top Bottom