Sheldon Richardson on MN fans: These are probably some of the best fans I’ve ever met

GopherLady

Reaction score
Had to dig this one up from our old board (thanks GopherHole I.T.) and thought it was fun to re-visit Richardson's comments on MN and the fans here, seeing as he's the newest Viking:

https://web.archive.org/web/2011111...om/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=882

Sheldon Richardson thinks Minnesota fans are the best he has met
Football Recruiting
by Nadine Babu November 8, 2008

This is the biggest recruiting weekend of the year for Coach Tim Brewster and the Minnesota Gophers. With top in-state players, kids that have already committed and some of the most sought after national recruits, St. Louis prep Sheldon Richardson may just be the best of the bunch. The 6-4, 270lb Gateway High School TE/DL, Richardson originally committed to Missouri but has since opened his recruitment back up and currently has offers from Minnesota, Miami (FL), Arkansas, Kansas State, etc. Richardson spoke with GopherHole about his visit to Minnesota, his reason for opening his commitment back up, his ideal position, and his timeline in determining a future collegiate home.

Sheldon RichardsonGH: First of all, how did you even decide to visit Minnesota?
SR: One day I got a call from Coach Cross, and he was wondering how I feel about Mizzou, and if I was a lock to commit to Mizzou, so I told him I was not, and my options are always open. I’m always looking for another school. He told me to come down to Minnesota, you will be surprised, so I came down to Minnesota. I’m having a great time.

GH: Have you been surprised?
SR: Yes, I’ve been surprised.

GH: With what, in particular?
SR: Just with how the fans are, they’re so friendly. This is probably the best set of fans I’ve ever been to. These are probably some of the best fans I’ve ever met!

GH: Why?
SR: They’re better than Mizzou, for real. They just all know me already. It’s just great.

GH: Have you seen all the signs people made for you?
SR: I’ve got me a sign right here. A couple fans at the pre-game, knew me, and I just came over and shook their hand, those were great fans (the ones who gave him the sign).

GH: So what exactly happened with Missouri?
SR: I did a solid verbal my sophomore year, going into my junior year, I was kind of young, and just happy to get a scholarship. I’ve got offers from Miami, and I just had to open my recruiting back up because I didn’t know I was going to be that big, and blow up like this. I just felt like I really needed to just sit back and look at what’s on the table, and then I took a look at what I’ve got, and I’m just taking my officials now, seeing what’s out there, and seeing if I see something better.

GH: So you just feel like you committed too early?
SR: Basically, I didn’t regret it, but basically I committed too early, and whatever happens, happens. We’ll know February 6th, on national television, on signing day.

GH: I did read that Missouri is still your #1, and Miami is your #2 schools, is that still the case?
SR: Now, that’s still the case right now. Until I see different, that’s still the case, but I like this school (Minnesota), and the facilities, and I saw the new stadium and I liked it, it’s moving up in my rankings.

GH: So, where would that put Minnesota right now in your rankings?

SR: I’d probably say 3rd, a high 3rd, or close to 2nd.

GH: What position do you ideally want to play, defensive end, or tight end?

SR: Normally I play Defensive End, but I don’t know, it depends on my body and how I grow. If I get heavier, of course I’m going to have to switch over to defensive end, but if I keep my speed, because these guys are 6’4 or 6’5 now, I’m going to try to play tight end.

GH: Where else have you had visits at?

SR: I have visits at Arkansas and Miami right now, I’m going to take Kansas State off, because I don’t want to go there anymore.

GH: When are your Arkansas and Miami visits?

SR: January 10th and January 17th, back to back.

GH: So you really won’t commit until signing day?

SR: Yeah (smiling).

GH: Congratulations on making the Army All-American Team, how did that make you feel?

SR: I was speechless. That was a great feeling, now I really want to showcase myself when I go down there. I’m just having fun with my senior year!

GH: Have you gotten a chance to know any of the recruits that are also visiting this weekend yet?

SR: I got to know a couple of them. Bryce McNeal, Turmour Battle, they all seem like really good guys. Of course I know Bryant Allen from St. Louis, I’ve known him since we’ve been little. I’ve gotten to know everybody, it’s all good.

GH: What will be the most important factors when you decide who to commit to?

SR: Something that just surprises me and catches my eye. To me, colleges are very similar most of the time, until they have something different. This city is one of the things that caught my eye, and it’s better than Columbia, so it’s really catching my eye. As far as the team and where I come in on the depth chart, and if I have a great chance of playing my freshman year.

GH: So being able to play right away is one of the most important factors?

SR: Oh, yeah. The depth chart, and the civility of the coaching staff, that’s about it.

GH: Speaking of the coaching staff, what do you like about Coach Cross?

SR: I like the way he’s involved with his players, he’s always respectful to his players. He’ll get on you, but he’s always respectful. He’s just a great guy, and he loves football.

That's weird... I don't remember meeting Sheldon Richardson.

His brother Steven had a great career here. Maybe they'll be reunited in the Minnesota Vikings DL room next year.

Top Bottom