Other NCAA Tournament Action

Shades

Reaction score
ionescu.jpg

Seattle not putting up much of a fight against Oregon.

Ionescu already has 10 pts, 5 reb, 5 ast halfway through the second quarter

Villanova vs South Dakota State going into OT on a buzzer beater three.

https://www.michigandaily.com/secti...es-dominate-bears-ncaa-tournament-first-round

Michigan defeated Northern Colorado 75-61. The Wolverines face Baylor on Sunday.

Michigan looked to be a total mismatch for Northern Colorado from the start. The Wolverines were taller and faster and managed to force their way to the basket. This made the Bears collapse in, which created scoring chances from beyond the arc. Flaherty drained a 3-pointer from up top — five minutes after tipoff — to give her team a 9-7 lead. Michigan maintained the lead till the final buzzer, only widening the gap.

Speaking of mismatches, the most significant one was between junior center Hallie Thome and anybody who tried to guard her. Thome towered over her defenders. Her height advantage, coupled with her spin moves and finesse around the rim, helped her take ownership of the paint.

Thome’s mismatch was evident midway through the second quarter when she caught a long pass from Dunston down low. Calmly but quickly, Thome maneuvered around her defender with a spin to score the basket and draw a foul. She made the resulting free-throw for a three-point play.

Thome finished the game with a team-high 24 points. She and Flaherty — who scored 20 — combined for 26 points in the first half, giving the Wolverines a 36-19 lead heading into intermission.

“We were able to find Hallie and establish Hallie early. That was a key for us,” Barnes Arico said. “Then Katelynn got on fire, as she normally does.”...

...With one minute remaining in the game, Michigan’s ride to victory met an unexpected scare. Freshman guard Deja Church hit the ground, while chasing a loose ball, and was slow to get up. She appeared to have injured her ankle. A severe injury would have been a huge loss for the Wolverines, but Barnes Arico indicated that it is not too serious.

“She said, ‘Coach, I think I overreacted,’ which is the cutest thing ever.” Barnes Arico said. “She's a freshman. She hurt her ankle earlier this week, so it's real sensitive. … I think she was scared. Her ankle has been taped up. It's sore. She tweaked it a little bit. But she said, ‘I think I'm going to be okay.’ That was great news to hear.

“She should be fine by Sunday.”

UCONN scored 55 in the first QUARTER
and 94 in the first HALF.

Remarkable even for UCONN in a 1 v. 16 game.

In Columbus, MAC champ Central Michigan defeated 6 seeded LSU 78-69. Tinara Moore scored 25 for CMU. Central Michigan out rebounded LSU 41-29, were 7-19 from three and 15-17 from the line.

For the second year Quinnipiac eliminates Miami 86-72. The Bobcats were 10-31 from three. Miami was 2-7. UCONN awaits Quinnipiac.

Coming up at 2:30 PM
Nebraska vs Arizona St
Oklahoma St vs Syracuse
FGCU vs Missouri

In Tallahassee, MAC at large team, Buffalo, took down 6 seed South Florida 102-78. (Something the Buckeyes couldn't do). Buffalo was 14-27 from three.

Arizona State went on a 21-2 run in the third and fourth quarters heading to a 73-62 win over Nebraska. Like Gail Goestenkors asked in the second half, I wondered why the Huskers ignored Kate Cain on offense. Cain was 2-3 from the field.

Creighton sends Iowa home defeating the Hawkeyes 76-70. For the Bluejays Agnew scored 24 and Lamberty 22. Gustafson had 29 points and 17 rebounds. The Bluejays were 9-24 from three.

The debatable eight are 3-1 with the Sooners being the only loser.

My Beavers overcome early foul trouble to AA center Marie Gulich and poor shooting to beat the Lady Vols and end their 57 game home NCAA win streak. The interesting subplot was three of the Vols are from Oregon, one more than on the OSU squad. Two HS teammates going against on another.
Scott Rueck is quite the coach. It looked like they were going to get smoked early on. Go Beavs!
Goph's can make this a perfect day with a big upset.

...and Tennessee losing at home to lower-seeded Oregon State?

The SEC should've lost one more. DePaul flailed hopelessly trying to defend Chennedy Carter who scored 37 (7-9 from three) including the game winning three with 3 seconds remaining. The Blue Demons led by 15 with about 8 minutes remaining.

...and Tennessee losing at home to lower-seeded Oregon State?

Beavs probably underseeded because of a loss to ASU in the PAC Tournament, but a tough draw to play Vols at home. Love to see the SEC lose in any sport.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...-be-tested-against-central-michigan/33062167/

Ohio State, the remaining B1G rep, faces Central Michigan tonight.

No. 3 Ohio State flattened George Washington 87-45 on Saturday in a game that was never a contest. No. 11 Central Michigan got its first ever tournament win, upsetting Louisiana State 78-69 to advance. With five starters averaging in double figures, the Mid-American Conference Tournament champions will make the Buckeyes work harder. The teams meet at 6:30 p.m. on Monday in Ohio State's venerable St. John Arena.

The Chippewas made half their shots against LSU and are averaging more than 82 points per game this season. They are led by 6-foot-3 post player Tinara Moore , who averages nearly 19 points a game and was relentless under the basket in scoring 25 points and grabbing seven rebounds against the Tigers Saturday. Guard Presley Hudson is averaging 18 points and hits 3-pointers at a rate of 44 percent. She also averages more than five assists in every contest.

Central Michigan hit 3 straight threes to end the half up 34-21 over Ohio State. Mavunga and Waterman both picked up two fouls late in the half.

Meanwhile, the other MAC rep, Buffalo, is leading Florida State by nine early in the third quarter.

OSU laying an egg against Central Michigan. Guess we're finding out that even though the BIG was very competitive this year, it wasn't all that good on a national level. Strange to think this, but could McGuff be on the hot seat after next season at OSU? IMO, his team underachieved a bit this year, even though they won the BIG. Going into the season, they had Final Four aspirations, but they didn't really have the chemistry or they didn't really play enough defense. He lost two very good freshmen to transfers after last year and he hasn't recruited well for next year.

One former B1G coach Felicia Legette Jack leads Buffalo to the sweet sixteen defeating Florida State 86-65. It has been a bad night for the host teams (1-3)

Another former B1G coach Sue Gueverra in her return to St. John Arena leads Central Michigan to victory over Ohio State. The Chips nailed three after three (I think they were 7-8 from behind the arc in the 3rd quarter). 95-78.

Yes, McGuff's NCAA appearances are becoming Jim Foster like.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/19/from-broken-coach-to-sweet-16-legette-jack-has-buffalo-on-the-map/

Last night I couldn't decide who was the most moved by the Chippewas win; the coach or the players. I still can't.

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. – Six years ago, Felisha Legette-Jack had failed as a head coach. Her Indiana program had suffered through a 6-24 year, their third-straight losing season. She was let go from the Hoosiers and landed with Buffalo, where she refocused. She had learned the hard lessons and returned to what made her, well her – being fiery and fierce and a bit in-your-face.

So Monday night, when she was in the spotlight at the postgame press conference, sitting next to her Buffalo players who had just taken her to the Sweet 16, she couldn’t help but get a little bit emotional.

See, for Legette-Jack, the cliché about the journey versus the destination isn't a cliché. It's a way of life. And as proud as she is of her University at Buffalo women's basketball team for their success and their improbable NCAA Tournament upsets over South Florida and Florida State, she's even more humbled by what her players teach her on a daily basis.

"These young ladies teach me every day that every day I have to bring something different because they're such ferocious learners," Legette-Jack said. "They wanted so desperately not necessarily to win but to tell their story. I'm so honored to coach these young ladies.

"They took a broken coach and they took her to the Sweet 16. They never lost confidence in me. They could have easily questioned some things I had done. They could have easily said 'not today coach. You don’t seem to know what you're doing.' They just kept believing and made me become a better coach. I'm so humbled by this moment."

Gulich was awesome. It's always good to see Baylor eliminated.

Looks like a good night for the PAC 12.

Agree. Whenever Kim loses, I'm happy!

For having 19 points and 10 rebounds, Kalani Brown seemed completely irrelevant to the game. Maybe it was all the chippies she missed. Hopefully OSU can take down Louisville next!

Agree. Whenever Kim loses, I'm happy!

For having 19 points and 10 rebounds, Kalani Brown seemed completely irrelevant to the game. Maybe it was all the chippies she missed. Hopefully OSU can take down Louisville next!

Late in the game, after a Baylor time out, Mulkey set up a play for Brown. Then when Kalani got the pass on the low block she passed it out sending Kim hopping around in disbelief.

Late in the game, after a Baylor time out, Mulkey set up a play for Brown. Then when Kalani got the pass on the low block she passed it out sending Kim hopping around in disbelief.

Her temper tantrums are epic and make me lol. Also, glad they lost. Too bad Duke could not pull off the upset.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Janel's rebounding record finally falls.

Top Bottom