Kirk Cousins spent time with Gophers in February

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per GopherSports:

The Minnesota Vikings got the quarterback they wanted when they inked Kirk Cousins to a three-year deal this week.

At his introductory press conference, Cousins said he spent time during Super Bowl week acclimating himself with Minnesota and drove around the Twin Cities to get a feel for what could be his new home. He drove by the Vikings former headquarters – Winter Park in Eden Prairie – and their new facility in Eagan.

One place he also visited was the University of Minnesota’s David and Janis Larson Football Performance Center. There he spoke to the Golden Gophers and visited with head coach P.J. Fleck.

“Super Bowl week this year, I reached out to Coach Fleck and asked if I could sit with him for about an hour and learn from him about leadership and some of his culture building that he does,” said Cousins at his press conference this week. “He was kind enough to grant me that hour, so we sat in his office and I picked his brain.

“While I am a Spartan at heart, I am certainly excited to be in the Gophers’ backyard. I will be cheering them on as well because I have a great deal of respect for Coach Fleck and for his leadership abilities. I think there is plenty more where that one-hour conversation came from that I look forward to having with Coach Fleck in the future. I will enjoy being here in the Twin Cities and following them as well.”

Cousins and Fleck both have ties to Michigan, but their paths never crossed on the collegiate football field. Cousins played in 45 games at Michigan State from 2008-11, while Fleck coached Western Michigan – leading the Broncos to the Cotton Bowl in his last season – from 2013-17.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/031618aaa.html

Go Gophers!!

Only thing this tells me is Cousins to Minnesota was deeply in the works long before it became mainstream. Who does those things --
especially meeting with PJF -- unless he's pretty certain he's coming to Minnesota? In early February, when the corpse of the 2017 Vikings season was still warm.

Cousins is a B1G guy from the midwest. He'll be rooting for the Gophers unless they're playing Sparty

Only thing this tells me is Cousins to Minnesota was deeply in the works long before it became mainstream. Who does those things --
especially meeting with PJF -- unless he's pretty certain he's coming to Minnesota? In early February, when the corpse of the 2017 Vikings season was still warm.

I think actually coaches talking with pros, people making connections / networking is pretty common. Kirk maybe just wants a job when he is done with the NFL, you can't wait to network until later.

On the other hand I have no doubt that agents take phone calls all the time even if teams aren't supposed to be contacting them.

Cousins is a B1G guy from the midwest. He'll be rooting for the Gophers unless they're playing Sparty

I hear Fleck is pondering an offer for 2035 recruit, Cooper Cousins.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Super! Really glad he'll be cheering for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom