Possible grad transfers for the Gophers

I didnt bring up his name pal..was just reaponding to the comment he doesn't play pg.

We won't be looking at only PGs.

Oh yeah, I know you didn't bring him up, but it seems like every so often since he committed to Stanford, we see someone pining for Reid Travis, even though he's given no indication that he is leaving Stanford. The fact that we seem to have at least adequate depth in the front court is one reason he wouldn't transfer here, but the biggest reason to believe he wouldn't transfer here is that he hasn't even said that he's transferring, and I think it's pointless to continue hoping and praying that he will. I probably should have quote replied to someone else.

Really no big deal, thousands of people know the Pulleys. Anyone who has scouted players or tried to get help for the minority basketball players would have met them. Just sharing what they told me.

Former Gopher Josh Martin is available. He loved it here the first time!

Former Gopher Josh Martin is available. He loved it here the first time!

Probably a good one year band-aid for a team looking for PF depth (not talking about us).

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/sports/college/cal-poly/article206572919.html

Forward Josh Martin is leaving the Cal Poly men's basketball program, head coach Joe Callero confirmed Friday. According to Callero, Martin is "graduating and is looking at post graduate programs."

Martin is the third Cal Poly basketball player to request a transfer this month following a 9-22 season and a seventh-place finish in the Big West Conference.

Martin, a 6-foot-8 redshirt junior, never quite lived up to expectations after transferring to Cal Poly from the University of Minnesota following his freshman season in 2014-15.

Martin battled injuries during his three seasons as a power forward with Cal Poly and finishes his career with the Mustangs averaging 7.2 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. An injury caused him to miss six games early this season, and when he returned he was reinserted into the starting lineup for nine games before finishing the final 10 games of the season coming off the bench.

Is that the guy from Evansville?

Yes.

Not sure about his handle, but he can shoot it (42.4 from 3, 86.4 from the line). If Gophers have designs on getting back into NCAA mix next year, need a couple guards/wings to step right in and move ahead of Hurt and Harris in the rotation. I'd rather that be an experienced guy like Taylor or Geno Crandall (sounds like he isn't graduating from UND, but who knows?) than a freshman like Kalscheur

I'd give us a 2% chance, maybe .2

Evansville grad transfer Ryan Taylor has heard from Butler, Northwestern, Vandy, South Carolina, Ohio St, Ole Miss, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, Illinois, Georgetown, Creighton, Minnesota, BC, Indiana, UCLA, Arizona, Wake, Miami, Purdue, Baylor, Maryland & Missouri, source told ESPN.

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/baske...er-targets-recruiting-2018-roster-depth-chart

That's some stiff competition, for sure. Please don't go to Wisconsin.

Yes.

Not sure about his handle, but he can shoot it (42.4 from 3, 86.4 from the line). If Gophers have designs on getting back into NCAA mix next year, need a couple guards/wings to step right in and move ahead of Hurt and Harris in the rotation. I'd rather that be an experienced guy like Taylor or Geno Crandall (sounds like he isn't graduating from UND, but who knows?) than a freshman like Kalscheur
Geno Crandall doesn't graduate until next winter.

I liked the idea of bringing in a JC guard because bringing in someone with 2 years remaining of eligibility balances out our roster, so I like the idea of getting someone like a Pitt transfer as long as they have already sat out their year and can play right away, for one of our 2 openings, and then since we lost Fitzgerald, the other guy could be a Grad Transfer and that could be a nice fit since they should be experienced.

I liked the idea of bringing in a JC guard because bringing in someone with 2 years remaining of eligibility balances out our roster, so I like the idea of getting someone like a Pitt transfer as long as they have already sat out their year and can play right away, for one of our 2 openings, and then since we lost Fitzgerald, the other guy could be a Grad Transfer and that could be a nice fit since they should be experienced.

Unfortunately the only transfers that would be eligible are the graduate transfers regardless of whether they have already redshirted , not sure of the status of the individual players from Pitt but most of them would not be eligible next year.

With two open scholarships I'd like a transfer (grad or otherwise) or JC guard. Two freshman gives us a weird scholarship balance going forward.

With two open scholarships I'd like a transfer (grad or otherwise) or JC guard. Two freshman gives us a weird scholarship balance going forward.

Not to mention that this is not a great time to be recruiting freshmen for next season.

I don't care that much about roster class "balance" but, at this time of year, you want to get the best players and/or fits available. There are some really high rated freshmen who are uncommitted but they are the ones waiting to the early entrants to declare so they can sign up with Kentucky or Duke or UCLA. Other freshmen who are available usually aren't the best players you can get and they're still unproven - something that a team like ours, not to mention a coach like Pitino, really can't afford.

A question that requires everyone to take the rose colored glasses off for a minute:

Why would anyone worth taking want to transfer here? Honest question. Until we prove otherwise, we're one of the worst programs in the major conferences. Our best season in nearly a decade ended in getting utterly dominated and bounced from the tourny by a mid-major. Student athletes have been getting raked over the coals and have have been treated as sex offenders based on he said/she said and social media posts (whether it's justified is not my point...in cases it was and in others it wasn't....either way it can't be real attractive to a player or their family). It's now been proven by the FBI that players around the country are getting paid....here Richard Pitino gets chastised publicly for bringing a rental car back a little light in the tank. If the guy is African-American and happens to google Minnesota, some of the top results he'll probably find are two black kids shot and killed by police (again, not about right/wrong....it happened and it's out there).

What exactly is there that would be attractive to a quality grad transfer? A decent business school that they're not going to attend? The most overrated Mall in America? The ability to hop on public transportation and watch bad professional basketball at a terrible venue (Target Center)? A hamburger with cheese in the middle?

I know we all love Minnesota because we grew up here. I would never even consider leaving this place willingly. But, why exactly would one of the top grad transfers in the country want to come here? We can't even get our best high schoolers to stick around, and we expect a kid to forgo a significant playing time on a sure tournament team somewhere for a team that couldn't even make the NIT?

I'd rather take a high school kid that can potentially develop into something down the road than another Fitzgerald, which is about all we should realistically expect.

A question that requires everyone to take the rose colored glasses off for a minute:

Why would anyone worth taking want to transfer here? Honest question. Until we prove otherwise, we're one of the worst programs in the major conferences. Our best season in nearly a decade ended in getting utterly dominated and bounced from the tourny by a mid-major. Student athletes have been getting raked over the coals and have have been treated as sex offenders based on he said/she said and social media posts (whether it's justified is not my point...in cases it was and in others it wasn't....either way it can't be real attractive to a player or their family). It's now been proven by the FBI that players around the country are getting paid....here Richard Pitino gets chastised publicly for bringing a rental car back a little light in the tank. If the guy is African-American, he would like google Minnesota and find two black kids shot and killed by police (again, not about right/wrong....it happened and it's out there).

What exactly is there that would be attractive to a quality grad transfer? A decent business school that they're not going to attend? The most overrated Mall in America? The ability to hop on public transportation and watch bad professional basketball at a terrible venue (Target Center)? A hamburger with cheese in the middle?

I know we all love Minnesota because we grew up here. I would never even consider leaving this place willingly. But, why exactly would one of the top grad transfers in the country want to come here? We can't even get our best high schoolers to stick around, and we expect a kid to forgo a significant playing time on a sure tournament team somewhere for a team that couldn't even make the NIT?

I'd rather take a high school kid that can potentially develop into something down the road than another Fitzgerald, which is about all we should realistically expect.

Lol.

Why would anyone worth taking want to transfer here? Honest question. Until we prove otherwise, we're one of the worst programs in the major conferences. Our best season in nearly a decade ended in getting utterly dominated and bounced from the tourny by a mid-major. Student athletes have been getting raked over the coals and have have been treated as sex offenders based on he said/she said and social media posts (whether it's justified is not my point...in cases it was and in others it wasn't....either way it can't be real attractive to a player or their family). It's now been proven by the FBI that players around the country are getting paid....here Richard Pitino gets chastised publicly for bringing a rental car back a little light in the tank. If the guy is African-American, he would like google Minnesota and find two black kids shot and killed by police (again, not about right/wrong....it happened and it's out there).

I see the point youre making. However, many of these transfers are not injured or mentally unstable. They are just bad fits on their current team. A lot of these guys may not have generated stats or gelled well with their team in that environment. However being them into a different one and they may flourish.

I understand your point about shaping a fresh how you want them. However I think have an experienced veteran for back up lead guard would be very beneficial especially if they can't get mcbayers leg situation lingers into next season which with a MRSA infection, who knows.

We have good experience with the grad transfer already having success with Akeem. Many times, these transfers have the feeling of free agents: either I want to play for a winner or prove to me from experience how you have helped guys like me. In this case MN has one of those

I see the point youre making. However, many of these transfers are not injured or mentally unstable. They are just bad fits on their current team. A lot of these guys may not have generated stats or gelled well with their team in that environment. However being them into a different one and they may flourish.

I understand your point about shaping a fresh how you want them. However I think have an experienced veteran for back up lead guard would be very beneficial especially if they can't get mcbayers leg situation lingers into next season which with a MRSA infection, who knows.

We have good experience with the grad transfer already having success with Akeem. Many times, these transfers have the feeling of free agents: either I want to play for a winner or prove to me from experience how you have helped guys like me. In this case MN has one of those

Don't forget Malik.....

Why would anyone worth taking want to transfer here? Honest question. Until we prove otherwise, we're one of the worst programs in the major conferences. Our best season in nearly a decade ended in getting utterly dominated and bounced from the tourny by a mid-major. Student athletes have been getting raked over the coals and have have been treated as sex offenders based on he said/she said and social media posts (whether it's justified is not my point...in cases it was and in others it wasn't....either way it can't be real attractive to a player or their family). It's now been proven by the FBI that players around the country are getting paid....here Richard Pitino gets chastised publicly for bringing a rental car back a little light in the tank. If the guy is African-American and happens to google Minnesota, some of the top results he'll probably find are two black kids shot and killed by police (again, not about right/wrong....it happened and it's out there).

Sadly, you make some good points

I assume you are exaggerating to make a point. I don't think the negatives you mentioned would affect a grad transfer point guard. He would just be here for one year and would be only concerned with PT and playing on a winning team. Both of which the gophers will provide next season if they are healthy.

Some of your points might be cause for concern for a high school recruit to a degree. Maybe enough to make a difference if the recruit is on the fence.

Here are the positives for a grad transfer:

1) You get to play in one of the top conferences in the NCAA.
2) The Barn is one of the best attended college basketball arenas in the nation. Do all of you watch college basketball? There are plenty of SEC, ACC, and PAC-12 teams that play in front of sparse crowds, even in conference play.
3) We have a BRAND NEW state-of-the-art practice facility.
4) The team next year will be competitive, should be a bubble team at worst, and also will have minutes available.

PS: The Target Center just went through a renovation (and has a playoff caliber team this year), US Bank Stadium is one of the best NFL stadiums in the nation (and has a Super Bowl caliber team), Xcel Energy Center is still a great place to watch our playoff hockey team and concerts, and we have the best WNBA team in the nation. Outside of sports, DT Minneapolis is an awesome place for a college student, you can boat on any one of our 10,000+ lakes, and that hamburger with cheese in the middle happens to be awesome!

That grad transfer wasn't alive during the fight against Ohio State in the 70s, was probably just born during the academic scandal of the 90's, and doesn't even remember the worst season in program history three years ago. They care about now, and right now, this is not a bad place to be.

Well, we now have facilities that get us in the neighborhood.

Plenty of great things about the U. Not so many really good grad transfers.

You're right. You won't find an all b1g player but I would hope teams aren't looking for those. I assume most teams are looking for the role player that the gopher are also in need of. The list seems to have plenty of these guys.

Super facilities, a great school that is improving and getting more selective, major metropolitan area, if healthy next years roster will provide an opportunity to play in the NCAA tournament.

Classic loser mentality that infests too many “pseudo-fans”. With fans like you, who needs haters.... pathetic! I take it you have not been to many college towns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Classic loser mentality that infests too many “pseudo-fans”. With fans like you, who needs haters.... pathetic! I take it you have not been to many college towns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
What college town are you talking about? Big Rapids or Bemidji? Vermillion or Midland?

Top Bottom