Possible grad transfers for the Gophers

I mean, did we ever even try to get him? I thought the talk here mostly stemmed from the fact that he’s a good player who fills a need and he’s from the Midwest. Not sure if I ever saw it mentioned that the staff expressed interest in him.

I mean, did we ever even try to get him? I thought the talk here mostly stemmed from the fact that he’s a good player who fills a need and he’s from the Midwest. Not sure if I ever saw it mentioned that the staff expressed interest in him.

Doogie mentioned that the Gophers had expressed interest, but that's probably as far as they went.

I do think we need to lower the expectation of who we're going to get. From the outside, it would seem we have 4 of our starting spots locked in with Isaiah, Dupree, Amir and Jordan. Any really grad transfer is going to want to go where they're going to be guaranteed a starting spot.

It's interesting that, to the best of my knowledge, we have not been publicly connected to contacting any grad transfers with the exception of Taylor who is going to Northwestern (ouch). Whether it's Jeff Goodman or Evan Daniels or whoever tweets out these long lists of schools contacting this transfer or that transfer and Minnesota is never on the list (including Mooney who many here have interest in).

Bigger picture, the Gophers need talent not just players to fill roster positions. If they don't land a point guard, but land two talented wings, that's still a win in my book. A Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin, Gaston Diedhiou, Limar Wilson, or Engen Nurumbi (probably not spelling this one correctly) doesn't do anything for the team. It's going to be tough to find two good additions to the team, much less three which will (likely) make for yet another year where Minnesota won't have 13 eligible scholarship players.

I agree, getting a PG just to get a PG wouldn't necessarily be the best option. In reality, Isaiah will be playing big minutes, and for short periods of time McBrayer or Coffey would be able to handle bringing the ball up. The Gophers half court offense doesn't even utilize a PG that much, all three guards get opportunities to score and create. The only concern would be when teams start to press. If we were to land 2 guards that weren't true PG's, but were able to protect the ball it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Duke is an example, they had Duval, but he was more of a scoring guard rather than a pg. They used Grayson Allen most of the time as their point and he isn't a player with outstanding ball handling ability.

When push comes to shove they only really need a couple of guards, if they stay healthy Coffey and Mcbrayer both can play point, not ideal but both would be more than competent.

McBrayer logged a fair amount of time at the point in relief when he was a soph. I wouldn't have called him particularly competent then (he was very shaky against any pressure defense). I don't have as much of an opinion on Coffey handling a lot of those duties but I'm not optimistic about the prospect.

I've watched a fair amount of Iowa over the last two years and McCaffrey has paid dearly for his failure to recruit a real point guard and you can read their fans damning him repeatedly for that. He once claimed that their system didn't require a true point guard. The results have demonstrated otherwise.

Whoa, Cats are intent on coming back from a disappointing season with a vengeance.

Yes, obviously their coaching staff feels a real sense of urgency. Hope ours does, too, but they're just not talking about it.

So is there any speculation on legit anyone we’re in on? Seems like lots of teams not named the Gophers making moves to get better

So is there any speculation on legit anyone we’re in on? Seems like lots of teams not named the Gophers making moves to get better

If 30 days from now we don't have anyone verbally committed, then it's time to worry. For now let's just wait. There should still be a lot of new transfers to declare yet.

This is one of the few sites I’m on multiple times each day, anxiously awaiting an announcement of some new verbal commitments. Gotta be soon, right?

This is one of the few sites I’m on multiple times each day, anxiously awaiting an announcement of some new verbal commitments. Gotta be soon, right?

Transfer recruiting is a little bit different than your typical high school recruitment. Pay sites can't reach out to players who have been linked because that has to go through their current schools SID. If you think about it, there wasn't a lot of speculation about Fitzgerald, Stockman, Lynch or Lofton before they committed. I think there was on Akeem, but nothing compared to your typical high school recruit.

Another reason why we may not have been publicly connected to any transfer is the fact that Kimani and Ben were pursuing other opportunities. There had been rumors about Kimani to UCONN before the final four and who knows how long for Ben Johnson. I would guess that since Jeter is on board we may see an uptick in some recruiting news, but a transfer can happen at any time.

Transfer recruiting is a little bit different than your typical high school recruitment. Pay sites can't reach out to players who have been linked because that has to go through their current schools SID. If you think about it, there wasn't a lot of speculation about Fitzgerald, Stockman, Lynch or Lofton before they committed. I think there was on Akeem, but nothing compared to your typical high school recruit.

Another reason why we may not have been publicly connected to any transfer is the fact that Kimani and Ben were pursuing other opportunities. There had been rumors about Kimani to UCONN before the final four and who knows how long for Ben Johnson. I would guess that since Jeter is on board we may see an uptick in some recruiting news, but a transfer can happen at any time.

Young was not a surprise but Johnson was.

Gophers have expressed interest in NJIT's Anthony Tarke

6-6 G/F averaged team-leading 15.7 ppg while pulling down 6.2 rpg. Not a good 3-point shooter (28.7%) and had more turnovers (60) than assists (57). Sit-out transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Game by Game Stats
https://static.njithighlanders.com/custompages/mball/2017-18/plyr_12.htm

6-6 G/F averaged team-leading 15.7 ppg while pulling down 6.2 rpg. Not a good 3-point shooter (28.7%) and had more turnovers (60) than assists (57). Sit-out transfer with 2 years of eligibility remaining.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Game by Game Stats
https://static.njithighlanders.com/custompages/mball/2017-18/plyr_12.htm

That's kind of depressing for us if there is so much interest in a sit-out transfer from NJIT. Granted the guy can score but he's not particularly efficient about it.

That's kind of depressing for us if there is so much interest in a sit-out transfer from NJIT. Granted the guy can score but he's not particularly efficient about it.

Always hard when it’s playervrepo the interest too tho

Would he be immediately eligible? If not, not sure I like this scenario again (Stockman).

We're gonna defend the opponents knees if he and IW get in the game at the same time. [emoji41]

Would he be immediately eligible? If not, not sure I like this scenario again (Stockman).

Should be. He had 4 years at UAB. Looks like he was hurt 2 years ago maybe. Career 36% from 3. 84% FT. And a 3 to 1 assist/TO ratio. He is small, but seems like a decent backup PG option.

29 minutes per game last year at UAB and a career 37% 3 point shooter. Pass first PG at nearly 5 assists per game. Worth a look. OSU and Purdue also in the market for him.

29 minutes per game last year at UAB and a career 37% 3 point shooter. Pass first PG at nearly 5 assists per game. Worth a look. OSU and Purdue also in the market for him.

Like the numbers, especially the assists to turnovers (156 to 52) and MPG (29.4). Decent rebounder (2.8) for his size, too. Sounds like a steady hand with a lot of game experience in a solid conference. He doesn't need to be a scorer on this team.

man that dude is small. has a nice looking stroke though. we could do a lot worse with the backup PG position.

hopefully we start hearing some other names emerge as well

Worth a look. OSU and Purdue also in the market for him.

I'd say he's worth more than "a look" at this point.

He's also from Big Ten territory (Bloomington, IL).

STrib: UAB graduate transfer PG Nick Norton expects to visit Gophers in May

With hundreds of Division I transfers looking to find new homes this spring, the Gophers recently got involved with Alabama Birmingham junior point guard Nick Norton.

Norton told the Star Tribune on Thursday that he expects to visit Minnesota’s program in early May, but he doesn’t have an exact date scheduled. The visit was first reported by CBSSports.com’s Jon Rothstein.

In 2014-15, Norton was named Conference USA All-Freshman team after averaging 7.2 points, 3.8 assists and shooting 39.1 percent from three-point range with 33 starts. His sophomore season, he averaged 8.9 points and 5.1 assists per game, but he suffered a season-ending ACL injury the following year.

Returning from injury, Norton was steady with 7.5 points and 4.9 assists this season for UAB. He ranked second in the league in assist-to-turnover ratio (3.0) and also earned all-conference academic honors (3.5 GPA).

http://m.startribune.com/uab-gradua...isit-gophers-in-may/479539793/?section=sports

Go Gophers!!

So was DeAndre Mathieu (shorter, if fact).

not that it matters...as I think he would be a solid get.

he just looks really small on the video.

plus Mathieu was 4 pounds heavier :clap:

Perfect for next year, I'm sure there would be spots will his size would impact his defensive ability but you aren't asking him to play 29 minutes and when that happens take him out. He's got great shooting mechanics, could use a shooter like that.

Perfect for next year, I'm sure there would be spots will his size would impact his defensive ability but you aren't asking him to play 29 minutes and when that happens take him out. He's got great shooting mechanics, could use a shooter like that.

Let's call him Harris + a PG handle. I'd take that. Harris would still be here (I think) if he could play the point.

Top Bottom