Possible grad transfers for the Gophers

Why would Reid be on any draft list when he just announced Friday night that he would be forgoing his senior season? Unless that list ranks "every" underclassmen in college.

Why would Reid be on any draft list when he just announced Friday night that he would be forgoing his senior season? Unless that list ranks "every" underclassmen in college.

I would think if he were a serious draft prospect, he would show up on draft boards regardless of whether he officially declared or not. As far as I know he has not decided to forgo his senior year. He has declared for the draft but isn’t hiring an agent, which I think implies he’s probably coming back to school.

The lists include every potentially draftable prospect whether they have declared or not. There have been many freshmen, sophomores, and juniors listed since last summer. If they're not listed now, they're very likely to go undrafted.

The lists include every potentially draftable prospect whether they have declared or not. There have been many freshmen, sophomores, and juniors listed since last summer. If they're not listed now, they're very likely to go undrafted.

Mostly true although the mock drafts I see are limited to 60 prospects so others could slip in while others slip out. There are some post-season events like Portsmouth, combine camps, etc. that do result in some previously unlisted prospects getting a more serious look. There are also undrafted players who are signed as free agent rookies (Yogi Ferrell is an example of one and he's averaging 28 minutes a game in his second year). That is fairly common these days as some of those second round picks are used on international players who remain stashed overseas (often for multiple years).

Mostly true although the mock drafts I see are limited to 60 prospects so others could slip in while others slip out. There are some post-season events like Portsmouth, combine camps, etc. that do result in some previously unlisted prospects getting a more serious look. There are also undrafted players who are signed as free agent rookies (Yogi Ferrell is an example of one and he's averaging 28 minutes a game in his second year). That is fairly common these days as some of those second round picks are used on international players who remain stashed overseas (often for multiple years).

Right, but Ferrell exhausted his college eligibility. He didn't come out early and go undrafted like Travis would. I don't doubt that he could make a very stupid decision and stay in the draft this year, but I'm willing to give him credit for more intelligence than that.

Damian Johnson on board with Gophers securing Mooney & Taylor

Even 1 of the 2 would be a big step toward getting back to NCAA Tournament.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'm with DJ - that would be a formidable team. Still young and consequently shaky at center, but Coffey plays good help defense.

Significant get for Northwestern: Ryan Taylor (Evansville) will be a Wildcat

Darn! I didn't think we had a great chance to get him, but he would have been awesome in maroon and gold. Too bad he's going to a conference foe.

We’ll end up getting a good grad transfer or two but the market is so competitive, I think a lot of dream scenarios may be shattered. I’d set my expectations a bit lower, though I think one of the transfers will be a big get given the amount of playing time available.

This is huge for Northwestern. Taylor, Law, and Pardon will be a formidable trio. Could be enough to get them back to the dance...

Darn! I didn't think we had a great chance to get him, but he would have been awesome in maroon and gold. Too bad he's going to a conference foe.

Is it only me, but is anyone else getting a little depressed seeing nothing but news that other schools have gotten commitments from players we want (or should want)? Things were looking SO GOOD right before the Miami game. Since then, it has been hard to take the steady barrage of unfortunate events. I need a tidbit of good Gophers hoops news for a change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is it only me, but is anyone else getting a little depressed seeing nothing but news that other schools have gotten commitments from players we want (or should want)? Things were looking SO GOOD right before the Miami game. Since then, it has been hard to take the steady barrage of unfortunate events. I need a tidbit of good Gophers hoops news for a change.

It does feel like that day when nothing went right for Bart Simpson - the rain cloud followed him to school and followed him home, etc.

b7db057b23ad28b50b600ac2937b2f8e.jpg

Mooney isn't transferring to be a point guard

I'm with you; I'll take a guard of any stripe.

This team needs another PG period. Not some combo guard that can maybe handle the ball a bit and bring it up court without crapping his pants.

If we don't come out of the spring/transfer period without a true PG, I don't like our chances next year at all.

See, I am not the only one that thinks the Gopher will make he tourny...lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This team needs another PG period. Not some combo guard that can maybe handle the ball a bit and bring it up court without crapping his pants.

If we don't come out of the spring/transfer period without a true PG, I don't like our chances next year at all.

No argument. We needed one before Harris left, and now a shooting or combo guard to replace him would look pretty good on top of that.

We need two guys that can play next year: A very good ball handler is a must, and the second guy needs to be a good shooter, but could either be a 2-guard or small forward. The third scholarship could be used on a sit-out transfer, most likely a point guard to take the place of the grad-transfer point guard. This, of course, is easy to say sitting in my Lazy-Boy chair.

It's interesting that, to the best of my knowledge, we have not been publicly connected to contacting any grad transfers with the exception of Taylor who is going to Northwestern (ouch). Whether it's Jeff Goodman or Evan Daniels or whoever tweets out these long lists of schools contacting this transfer or that transfer and Minnesota is never on the list (including Mooney who many here have interest in).

Bigger picture, the Gophers need talent not just players to fill roster positions. If they don't land a point guard, but land two talented wings, that's still a win in my book. A Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin, Gaston Diedhiou, Limar Wilson, or Engen Nurumbi (probably not spelling this one correctly) doesn't do anything for the team. It's going to be tough to find two good additions to the team, much less three which will (likely) make for yet another year where Minnesota won't have 13 eligible scholarship players.

It's interesting that, to the best of my knowledge, we have not been publicly connected to contacting any grad transfers with the exception of Taylor who is going to Northwestern (ouch). Whether it's Jeff Goodman or Evan Daniels or whoever tweets out these long lists of schools contacting this transfer or that transfer and Minnesota is never on the list (including Mooney who many here have interest in).

Bigger picture, the Gophers need talent not just players to fill roster positions. If they don't land a point guard, but land two talented wings, that's still a win in my book. A Maverick Ahanmisi, Chip Armelin, Gaston Diedhiou, Limar Wilson, or Engen Nurumbi (probably not spelling this one correctly) doesn't do anything for the team. It's going to be tough to find two good additions to the team, much less three which will (likely) make for yet another year where Minnesota won't have 13 eligible scholarship players.

And if we don't have sufficient depth, it'll make it practically impossible for Pitino to finally deploy his full-court pressure defense...or for O.J. to finally find the real killers.

We’ll end up getting a good grad transfer or two but the market is so competitive, I think a lot of dream scenarios may be shattered. I’d set my expectations a bit lower, though I think one of the transfers will be a big get given the amount of playing time available.

Maybe a Malik Smith type grad transfer?

It's interesting that, to the best of my knowledge, we have not been publicly connected to contacting any grad transfers with the exception of Taylor who is going to Northwestern (ouch).

Bigger picture, the Gophers need talent not just players to fill roster positions.

It's going to be tough to find two good additions to the team, much less three which will (likely) make for yet another year where Minnesota won't have 13 eligible scholarship players.

Maybe not as tough as you fear. There are still a lot of declared players who are uncommitted and there should be plenty of players who haven't declared yet. According to Verbal Commits, we're only at the mid-400s in declared players. As I recall there were over 700 last season.

As far as talent, we don't need stars (although getting one would be nice); we just need competent and mature players who can play roles so we don't have such a drop off when starters sit. Yes, players like Gaston won't do, but Ahanmisi wasn't that bad as a senior.

When push comes to shove they only really need a couple of guards, if they stay healthy Coffey and Mcbrayer both can play point, not ideal but both would be more than competent.

When push comes to shove they only really need a couple of guards, if they stay healthy Coffey and Mcbrayer both can play point, not ideal but both would be more than competent.

Waiting to see if you get slaughtered on this one! Got some folks on here ready to burn the barn down if we don't get a 'true' pg.

Top Bottom