Sid Hartman: Gophers coaches draw scrutiny as contract renewals approach

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

Fleck, year two

The biggest move of Coyle’s tenure so far was the firing of football coach Tracy Claeys and the hiring of P.J. Fleck. Coyle said that ticket sales are going well for the 2018-2019 season.

“I think people are excited for Year 2 with coach Fleck. He went out and did a phenomenal job with his recruiting class, I believe our recruiting class is ranked first in the Big Ten West, in the Top 30-35 in the country, places we haven’t been for a long time,” Coyle said. “You have to get talented players and you have to coach them and we’re very confident P.J. is doing those two things.”

Coyle said he thinks the biggest thing for Fleck and the university is creating a stable coaching environment with the players, and so far he says that is happening.

“P.J., he came in here and we had had three head coaches in three years, and P.J. came in here, and I give a lot of credit to our football student-athletes, they responded to coach Fleck, they bought in,” Coyle said. “We’ve had our highest academic semesters with coach Fleck here, and I know they’re working awfully hard off the field and working hard on the field. We have no reason to believe we can’t have great success if we continue to build this thing the right way.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-coaches-draw-scrutiny-as-contract-renewals-approach/476894423/

Go Gophers!!

We had three coaches in three years because Coyle fired the second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had three coaches in three years because Coyle fired the second.

Just a small detail. He must be misquoted? Who was the third HC Gophs had had in three years before Fleck?

Wierd that Coyle said something that could be misunderstood.

A marketing AD at his best/worst....."I believe our recruiting class is ranked first in the Big Ten West."

He knows they are number 2 (behind Nebraska). I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but when you give "recruiting rankings" as a reason for firing the previous coach, the benefit of the doubt doesn't hold water.

A marketing AD at his best/worst....."I believe our recruiting class is ranked first in the Big Ten West."

He knows they are number 2 (behind Nebraska). I would give him the benefit of the doubt, but when you give "recruiting rankings" as a reason for firing the previous coach, the benefit of the doubt doesn't hold water.

Yeah, found that statement to be really odd. Is there a ranking that had the Gophers in front of the other west teams?

Did no one else catch that he said people are excited going into year 2 of Fleck? Shouldn’t it be year 1 since last year was year 0?

Top Bottom