Andy Staples: Success for Fleck would be akin to what Ferentz has done at Iowa

I don't get why we have fans that think we've been even close to Iowa over the last X number of years. I see tweets (including some from the GopherHole account) from Gopher fans/followers mocking Iowa/their fans for Ferentz's contract as if he hasn't been one of (if not the) most successful coaches in their history and also pretty much dominated Minnesota from a win/loss perspective. I still remember the overreaction to the beat down the Gophers put on Iowa in 2014 and the confidence that we had put them in the rear view mirror. Since that time, the Gophers have lost 3 straight to Iowa (for the record the longest losing streak in the history of the program to Iowa is 4 "accomplished" most recently by Glen Mason to Kirk Ferentz and also done under Jim Wacker/Glen Mason).

I think it's fair to aspire to more than what Ferentz has done at Iowa, but if we are dominating one of the two rivals, playing a competitive series with the other, finishing in the top 10 in the nation occasionally...I don't know how you couldn't call that success. It's fine to have goals/aspirations that exceed that (I do too), but I'd love to get to the point where "we" (as a fanbase) could be disappointed by Kirk Ferentz like results.

Fair enough. I know it is certainly not a very scientific way of judging programs...but over the last 4/5 years I have never felt that Iowa was far supperior to us. I mean just look at the scores, many of the games were one score games, Iowa blew us out in 2012/2013 but we beat them 51-14 in 2014. Like I said, I will agree that Iowa is a slightly better program than us, but not the wide "chasm" between us and Wisconsin.

That 51-14 game in 2014 was such an awesome day. So much fun to humiliate Iowa like that.

The Gophers have been closer to Iowa than Wisconsin. But Iowa has, without question, been a stronger program than the Gophers during the Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz eras.

And, when pondering why, I come up with this: Iowa knows who they are. they have a philosophy and a system. they recruit to it, they coach it, and they play it. The Gophers always seem to be looking for a philosophy and a system, but they haven't found what they're looking for. With each new coach, there is hope that this time will work. Still waiting.

The Gophers have been closer to Iowa than Wisconsin. But Iowa has, without question, been a stronger program than the Gophers during the Hayden Fry and Kirk Ferentz eras.

And, when pondering why, I come up with this: Iowa knows who they are. they have a philosophy and a system. they recruit to it, they coach it, and they play it. The Gophers always seem to be looking for a philosophy and a system, but they haven't found what they're looking for. With each new coach, there is hope that this time will work. Still waiting.

They also have stability.

In Ferentz's 19 seasons:
9+ wins - 6 times; and,
7 wins or less - 9 times; and,
over .500 in Big 10 - 9 times.

In Fry's 20 season:
9 + wins - 6 times; and,

The program has been patient.

That 51-14 game in 2014 was such an awesome day. So much fun to humiliate Iowa like that.

That games is a vivid memory. I got my tickets out front and ended up behind the Iowa bench. Whatwas very evident was that Iowa did not take the game seriously. Pre game everyone was screwing around punting the ball, throwing passes to linemen, just nothing got accomplished as to regular drills that you usually see pregame. Then once the game began, the language on the Iowa sideline would make a drunken sailor blush. If you remember the Gophs were up 14 -0 after 4 minutes of play. Then the foul language really got loud and to be honest, quite embarrassing. Way overboard when you start making reference to the players heritage.

That games is a vivid memory. I got my tickets out front and ended up behind the Iowa bench. Whatwas very evident was that Iowa did not take the game seriously. Pre game everyone was screwing around punting the ball, throwing passes to linemen, just nothing got accomplished as to regular drills that you usually see pregame. Then once the game began, the language on the Iowa sideline would make a drunken sailor blush. If you remember the Gophs were up 14 -0 after 4 minutes of play. Then the foul language really got loud and to be honest, quite embarrassing. Way overboard when you start making reference to the players heritage.

Actually, Iowa scored first: http://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=400547933 Then we went on a 51 point unanswered streak. I remember because when Iowa scored (I believe on the first drive of the game) people around me were like "There goes the game, we're gonna lose", to which I responded "Hold on a second, it's literally the first drive, let's see what we do in response". Very glad I was right.

Apparently not elite vivid.

I'm just waiting for when we are routinely chanting 94 EAST and 35 SOUTH at TCF.

I really hate threads like these...

Our success or failure will be our own. It won’t be like anyone else’s.

I wouldn't based on the very stats you provided.

Well based on the fact that I wanted Claeys fired and that I think jerry Kill is the most overrated coach in the history of the program I thought you’d pick up my sarcasm

They also have had an administration that supports the program. That makes a difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't get why we have fans that think we've been even close to Iowa over the last X number of years. I see tweets (including some from the GopherHole account) from Gopher fans/followers mocking Iowa/their fans for Ferentz's contract as if he hasn't been one of (if not the) most successful coaches in their history and also pretty much dominated Minnesota from a win/loss perspective. I still remember the overreaction to the beat down the Gophers put on Iowa in 2014 and the confidence that we had put them in the rear view mirror. Since that time, the Gophers have lost 3 straight to Iowa (for the record the longest losing streak in the history of the program to Iowa is 4 "accomplished" most recently by Glen Mason to Kirk Ferentz and also done under Jim Wacker/Glen Mason).

I think it's fair to aspire to more than what Ferentz has done at Iowa, but if we are dominating one of the two rivals, playing a competitive series with the other, finishing in the top 10 in the nation occasionally...I don't know how you couldn't call that success. It's fine to have goals/aspirations that exceed that (I do too), but I'd love to get to the point where "we" (as a fanbase) could be disappointed by Kirk Ferentz like results.

We can mock them when Brian Ferentz takes over. Or now.

They also have stability.

In Ferentz's 19 seasons:
9+ wins - 6 times; and,
7 wins or less - 9 times; and,

In Fry's 20 season:
9 + wins - 6 times; and,

The program has been patient.

Ferentz went 8-0 in conference play in his 4th season, shared the conference title, and went to the Orange Bowl
Fry went 6-2 in conference play in his 3rd season, shared the conference title, and went to the Rose Bowl

Minnesota gave Wacker, Mason, and Kill at least 5 years each and none of them had a season that could compare to these. The only coach this school/fan base hasn't been patient with is Brewster who was fired in his 4th season. I guess you could argue they/we were not patient with Claeys but the circumstances surrounding how he got the job, the short nature of his contract, and the "scandal" and fallout from said issue make judging his situation difficult.

Top Bottom