STrib: Grant Potulny Coaches Northern Michigan to WCHA Championship Game

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://www.startribune.com/ex-gophe...rthern-michigan-to-wcha-title-game/476888103/

Fast-forward 16 years later, and Potulny will try to end a dry patch for the folks in Marquette, Mich. On Saturday night, the first-year Northern Michigan coach and his Wildcats face Michigan Tech in the WCHA championship game at NMU’s Berry Events Center. A victory would give the Wildcats their first trip to the NCAA tournament since 2010.

“Obviously, it’s a very important weekend for our team, but also for our program and our community,” the 38-year-old Grand Forks, N.D., native said. “It’s been a little bit of time here since there’s been a team in the national tournament. There’s been excitement around.”

Much of that excitement can be credited to Potulny, who took over a team that went 13-22-4 last season under Walt Kyle and turned it into squad that is 25-14-3 in 2017-18. Picked to finish seventh in the WCHA, the Wildcats instead finished second to a Minnesota State Mankato team that’s been among the nation’s top five for most of the season. On Tuesday, he was named the WCHA’s Coach of the Year.

Now that it seems like we will have a job opening, a lot of people appear to be bringing up Grant's name. I'm a big fan of his, but I really don't think he is our best option. We can have any available coach we want...we don't need to go get someone who had to settle for Northern Michigan last season when there were more high profile jobs (but still below the Gophers' level) available. If Potulny had played for a different program, there is no way people would advocate for his hiring. Now, I admit, if he goes out and wins a Natty with NMU or at least turns them into a perennial contender over the next 5 years, I will gladly change my point of view...I just think it is an unnecessary risk for a program of our stature to take. We don't have to try and jump in early on potential fast risers (ala Fleck/Pitino). We can simply wait and let the rest of country do the market research for us...Potulny can be had by us at any given moment. Now is not the time.

Now that it seems like we will have a job opening, a lot of people appear to be bringing up Grant's name. I'm a big fan of his, but I really don't think he is our best option. We can have any available coach we want...we don't need to go get someone who had to settle for Northern Michigan last season when there were more high profile jobs (but still below the Gophers' level) available. If Potulny had played for a different program, there is no way people would advocate for his hiring. Now, I admit, if he goes out and wins a Natty with NMU or at least turns them into a perennial contender over the next 5 years, I will gladly change my point of view...I just think it is an unnecessary risk for a program of our stature to take. We don't have to try and jump in early on potential fast risers (ala Fleck/Pitino). We can simply wait and let the rest of country do the market research for us...Potulny can be had by us at any given moment. Now is not the time.

Can't disagree with any of this. I've mentioned a few time that I wish Potulny had more experience/success. So the question that KillmeNow has asked repeatedly is who else is there besides Motzko that the Gophers could poach? I'm curious as well.

Top Bottom