Toughest #7 seed in the NCAA tournament

Toughest #7 seed in NCAA Tourney

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

I went with ASU. They beat Cal twice and I think they've improved since losing to UWGB in Cancun. Michigan? I've seen enough of the Wolverines.

I do feel Gophers drew the toughest 7 seed. The styles are exact opposites so gophers will have to control tempo. In games like Ohio St, Iowa and Maryland..those teams don’t really slow it down. My hope is that Bell can run past (under control) the defense of Green Bay. Also in all fairness I view Gophers as the best 10 seed so understandable if this is one of the best 1st round games.

I’m not trying to persuade anybody on their vote but it should be noted that, as stated in the GB game thread, GB beat ASU early in the season on a neutral court. Maybe it can be reasoned that ASU is a better team now much like the Gophers are better than they were starting out the season... maybe not.

Here’s how the RPI rankings compare for the #7 seeds:
Green Bay #23
Michigan #39
California #43
Arizona St #55

For our favorite #10 seed:
Minnesota #41

Green Bay is the only #7 seed to finish the season in the AP Top 25 poll.
They rank #22
http://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings/_/poll/1/week/1/seasontype/3

My thinking about Green Bay's beatability has a lot to do with the fact that their RPI is largely dependent on the (admiittedly huge) number of wins they racked up this season, mostly in league play, in the 11th-ranked RPI league in the country. Green Bay has not faced a team with an RPI better than 40 (ie Gopher territory) since December 6, when they did beat Dayton. I don't know a ton about teams in the Horizon, but I suspect the Gophers are a more potent offensive threat than the Phoenix have seen in a while -- or maybe all season (even including Mississippi State). On the other hand, the fact that the Phoenix are also capable of putting up a lot of points (88 in one game in the conference tourney) gives me pause, what with the Gophers' defensive woes.

Top Bottom