NCAA Tournament Thread

Maybe just me, but one of the most "meh" tournaments I can recall. Loyola and UMBC are the only thing that made it memorable at all.
Did you miss not having North Carolina and Kentucky in the Finals...[emoji22]

Jay Wright's a friendly reminder as to why it's important to be patient with coaches. It took awhile for him to establish the culture that's in place now but it's to a place at this point where it's the most well run program in the country by a mile. They'll lose some guys to the pros but it's hard to see them skipping a beat next year with what they have stashed on the bench and what's coming in their 2018 class.

My takeaway from this tournament is that the shorts are finally getting shorter.

"They will be back with his best team ever."??? So they might get to the 2nd round? :)

They have already been to the elite eight, sweet 16's at both jobs, not zero like your guy. Multiple conference titles, not zero. Multiple NBA guys not zero. Youngest ever with that many national coach of the year awards ! What does your guy have ?

Jay Wright's a friendly reminder as to why it's important to be patient with coaches. It took awhile for him to establish the culture that's in place now but it's to a place at this point where it's the most well run program in the country by a mile. They'll lose some guys to the pros but it's hard to see them skipping a beat next year with what they have stashed on the bench and what's coming in their 2018 class.
Got to a sweet 16 in year 4. Elite 8 year 5. That is what great coaches do. 46-34 in conference after 5.

They have already been to the elite eight, sweet 16's at both jobs, not zero like your guy. Multiple conference titles, not zero. Multiple NBA guys not zero. Youngest ever with that many national coach of the year awards ! What does your guy have ?

AND, has done something no one else has EVER done in history before, lost to a #16 seed. And did it in style, too, losing by what? 20 points???

AND, has done something no one else has EVER done in history before, lost to a #16 seed. And did it in style, too, losing by what? 20 points???

And owned it in such a classy way that he has turned it into a positive as coaches and recruits and families have taken to it. It also came with the 20 ACC wins that have EVER been done before ! Can you imagine us ever winning 20 conference games in one year ? You love to bring up the springs injury as a block to a elite eight but ignore UVA losing Hunter who is a far better player than Springs. Let us not ignore truths so we someday can accomplish more than one of the worst 5 year runs in Big Ten History. If you have trouble thinking or reading, i said "one of" not the worst. Coyle would trade coaches now. Richards own father calls Bennett the best coach in college hoops !

Jay Wright has missed the postseason once as Villanova's head coach, an uncharacteristic blip in his 11th season. He went to the Sweet Sixteen in year 4 and Elite Eight in year 5. Sorry, I don't see the patience required when I look at his resume.

And owned it in such a classy way that he has turned it into a positive as coaches and recruits and families have taken to it. It also came with the 20 ACC wins that have EVER been done before ! Can you imagine us ever winning 20 conference games in one year ? You love to bring up the springs injury as a block to a elite eight but ignore UVA losing Hunter who is a far better player than Springs. Let us not ignore truths so we someday can accomplish more than one of the worst 5 year runs in Big Ten History. If you have trouble thinking or reading, i said "one of" not the worst. Coyle would trade coaches now. Richards own father calls Bennett the best coach in college hoops !

Of course they have.

The one thing that stands out to me about the two remaining teams is that they each have lots of shooters. We’re trying to find one or two guys we feel can really shoot, but the top teams can put out 3-5 guys at a time that can drill it from deep, and have shooting depth off the bench. We need skills, not just size and athleticism.
THIS.

Not just the final 2 teams. Look across all the tourney and ability to shoot 3's is one thing that stands out where UMN has been lacking for a long time. Who is the last player we would consider an above average 3pt threat?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Who is the last player we would consider an above average 3pt threat?

Well...for the 2017-18 season, the mid point of 3 point % #173 UPenn through #181 UAB all shot .348

This past season, Hurt, Mason and Coffey all shot a better percentage than that.

So, I'd say last year is my answer.

Jay Wright has missed the postseason once as Villanova's head coach, an uncharacteristic blip in his 11th season. He went to the Sweet Sixteen in year 4 and Elite Eight in year 5. Sorry, I don't see the patience required when I look at his resume.

You may not know this but Villanova is on a different playing field than we are. Wright took over a winning program with strong history. Winning one conference title, getting to an Elite Eight and a Final Four in 15 years isn't overly impressive to a program like that. They weren't building any statues for him at that point. I'm not going to bat for Pitino with this just speaking more generally.

You may not know this

Nice. Getting off on the right foot with attempted condescension.

Villanova is on a different playing field than we are.

No kidding?

Wright took over a winning program with strong history. Winning one conference title, getting to an Elite Eight and a Final Four in 15 years isn't overly impressive to a program like that. They weren't building any statues for him at that point. I'm not going to bat for Pitino with this just speaking more generally.

You may not know this, but Villanova hadn't been to a Sweet Sixteen or an Elite Eight in 13 years when Wright took over. They had won one conference championship in 28 years. Wright did all of those things in his first 5 seasons. I guarantee you that they were absolutely ecstatic with his performance up to that point. You're also wrong about the timeframe - it was 12 years, not 15, before he won his second conference title. And what they did in those 12 years cumulatively was matched by few programs in the country. But I'm sure you're right, my guess is that Villanova wasn't "overly impressed".

Top Bottom