NCAA Tournament Thread

It was almost anticlimactic. You would think it would have to be a buzzer beater, not a 20 point win.

It was almost anticlimactic. You would think it would have to be a buzzer beater, not a 20 point win.

Head Retriever just got paid. What an embarrassment for Virginia. Other #1s have toyed with getting beat. This team got the snot kicked out of it.

Virginia is always overrated. Their talent never reflects their record. They are built to win games over the course of a season, not in a playoff.

Coach Odom seems very unassuming and relaxed. Would think he had just won a nondescript game in November, rather than what just happened. Refreshing change from typical alpha personality college bb coaches.

Unbelievable. If they were going to lose, I figured it would be 41-39 the way God and Daddy Bennett intended.

Virginia is always overrated. Their talent never reflects their record. They are built to win games over the course of a season, not in a playoff.

What is the difference? Shouldn’t what worked against Duke and UNC during the regular season work against UMBC or most anyone else in the tourney?

In all seriousness though, does anyone know the climate around basketball at Virginia? Is Bennet revered as a savior who they will never let go no matter what?

At a blueblood program, this is the kind of loss that gets a guy fired but(plus the previous early tourney exits) I have no idea what basketball is like at Virginia. Is their Ad a patient guy? Id kill for the kind of success Bennet has had here at Minnesota, but crazy things happen in cbb.

With the Syracuse win over TCU, a team from the first four has advanced to the second round every year since the expansion to 68 teams in 2011.

What is the difference? Shouldn’t what worked against Duke and UNC during the regular season work against UMBC or most anyone else in the tourney?

They don't have the star players to carry them when the tough gets going. Look at their result last year or any other year versus their seed since their coach took over the program.

If I have to explain the differences to you among the regular season, conference tourney, and the NCAA Tournament, then you shouldn't be discussing basketball.

Or maybe you are being intentionally obtuse?

It would have been nice to have Lofton the past couple years. He would have been a great volume scorer. Rebounds fairly well for a guard, and can really shoot the three ball

In all seriousness though, does anyone know the climate around basketball at Virginia? Is Bennet revered as a savior who they will never let go no matter what?

At a blueblood program, this is the kind of loss that gets a guy fired but(plus the previous early tourney exits) I have no idea what basketball is like at Virginia. Is their Ad a patient guy? Id kill for the kind of success Bennet has had here at Minnesota, but crazy things happen in cbb.

He's certainly not viewed as a savior. They fired Dave Leitao two years after winning ACC coach of the year. I'm sure he's not in danger yet, but a couple more of these early exits and that could change.

They don't have the star players to carry them when the tough gets going. Look at their result last year or any other year versus their seed since their coach took over the program.

If I have to explain the differences to you among the regular season, conference tourney, and the NCAA Tournament, then you shouldn't be discussing basketball.

They don't need "star" players, they just need a couple of go-to scorers and they never have any that they can rely on.

Sure would be nice to have a team in the dance. Still hard to believe how this nightmare season played out.

He's certainly not viewed as a savior. They fired Dave Leitao two years after winning ACC coach of the year. I'm sure he's not in danger yet, but a couple more of these early exits and that could change.

I would rather have had it happen to Puke or NC, Arizona or Kansas, but having it happen to a vaunted ACC team is a nice consolation prize. Cavs really panicked and the Dogs played fearless. I wonder if Virginia will go after Odom as their new coach when they figure out it had to be coaching that caused them this embarrassment.

As always things just fall into place for Kentucky who now doesn't need to pay Arizona or Virginia.

Coach Odom seems very unassuming and relaxed. Would think he had just won a nondescript game in November, rather than what just happened. Refreshing change from typical alpha personality college bb coaches.

His first words in the postgame interview: it was them [the players]. Love that guy.

Titanic music!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Actually he is viewed as a savior. They have won the ACC under Bennett as all their history combined. He can name his job. Do not get me wrong, it was a truly horrible loss and all the credit to UMBC. UVA offered no excuses. They will be back with his best team ever. They will have more natural scoring, length and bounce then ever. There AD is a woman that loves everything about Bennett, Carla would not trade TB FOR ANY COACH IN AMERICA.

Biggest upset of all time. Just a reminder, this was a game from this year
DYdidiwWkAAw2HI.jpg

Attachments

• DYdidiwWkAAw2HI.jpg
    DYdidiwWkAAw2HI.jpg
    12 KB · Views: 20

Maybe Bama should put only 3 guys on the floor to see if they can get back in it with Nova.

Maybe Bama should put only 3 guys on the floor to see if they can get back in it with Nova.

Really enjoying watching the trash-talking punks from Alabama getting curb stomped by 'Nova. Couldn't happen to a classier bunch of guys.

I guess I’m just not the great basketball mind you are. Maybe you can teach me a few things.

My point is that if they played the way they did most of the year, they are still alive. Instead they gave up just as many points in the second half last night as they average per game.

Top Bottom