NCAA Tournament Thread

Duke's zone was terrible. The only thing that stopped Kansas at all was the shot blocking of the Duke bigs.

Kansas did what Michigan St should have done against Syracuse. They got the ball to the middle of the zone often, and they had a guy there that was able to shoot, drive, and create.

Kansas did what Michigan St should have done against Syracuse. They got the ball to the middle of the zone often, and they had a guy there that was able to shoot, drive, and create.

I think State did get the ball to the middle, but the guy catching it wouldn't shoot the 12 footer.

There used to be a saying back when the NFL draft had 12 rounds: with your last draft choice, pick someone big and unusual. This Krutwig for Loyola is that. He's a freshman! I didn't know that. Over 10 points per game, never fouled out once this year, and doing fine against the best competition in the tournament. I love that he takes up so much space in there and positions himself well for rebounds. How was he not more highly rated out of HS?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wonder if Beilein is now the alpha big ten coach - passing Izzo. Defensive battle so far.

Definitely more crowd noise when Loyola scores.

This Villanova 3 point shooting is ridiculous. It's like they're playing the Gophers 3 point D.

This Villanova 3 point shooting is ridiculous. It's like they're playing the Gophers 3 point D.
Kansas is playing the same 3 point sieve defense employed by the Gophers.

StarTrib had good article yesterday about how important sit out transfers are to 3 of the final four teams. Hopefully the NCAA's consideration to remove the sit out year for transfers doesn't gain any traction.

I think Michigan's defense will be much better than Kansas, but man those Cats can shoot. Wolverines will have to shoot much better as a team in order to make it a game against Nova.

It's weird how Michigan is in the national championship game, especially considering that the Big Ten was done after MSU lost.

It's weird how Michigan is in the national championship game, especially considering that the Big Ten was done after MSU lost.

It's interesting in that this was an ACC and SEC year.
ACC dominated Big Ten in the ACC-B1G challenge. But no teams in the final four.
In other years where the Big Ten had done well non-conference, they have suffered in getting teams to the finals and winning it.

My best recent theory is that when a conference is "deep" with a lot of tournament teams, it's more of a sign of "Good" teams lacking a great team.

I don't know if it's happened recently where the conference with the most teams in won the title.

StarTrib had good article yesterday about how important sit out transfers are to 3 of the final four teams. Hopefully the NCAA's consideration to remove the sit out year for transfers doesn't gain any traction.

I could not disagree with you more. The fact that several final four transfers found their "year in residence" as a positive does not mean it is good for everybody. The argument is a non sequitur. Would you also say that because several of the upperclassmen red-shirted their freshman years, that all freshmen should red-shirt?

It appears the NCAA transfer working group will be submitting proposed relaxed transfer rules to be discussed at the NCAA spring meeting, and hopefully we will have some new rules that are more fair to the student athlete in the future.

Since the article is a couple days old now, it is hard to find. Here is a link:
http://www.startribune.com/final-four-puts-transfers-and-need-for-reform-in-display/478415643/

The one thing that stands out to me about the two remaining teams is that they each have lots of shooters. We’re trying to find one or two guys we feel can really shoot, but the top teams can put out 3-5 guys at a time that can drill it from deep, and have shooting depth off the bench. We need skills, not just size and athleticism.

Go Michigan.

Big Ten is overdue for a title.

The one thing that stands out to me about the two remaining teams is that they each have lots of shooters. We’re trying to find one or two guys we feel can really shoot, but the top teams can put out 3-5 guys at a time that can drill it from deep, and have shooting depth off the bench. We need skills, not just size and athleticism.
Tino is a product of his coaching experience at Louisville and Florida. Both were athletes first, though Florida always had a couple shooters. If you watch how Tino recruits you'll see the same trend. Beilein, on the other hand, is a shooting guru with great spacing on his offensive sets. That's just not Tino's style.

Tino is a product of his coaching experience at Louisville and Florida. Both were athletes first, though Florida always had a couple shooters. If you watch how Tino recruits you'll see the same trend. Beilein, on the other hand, is a shooting guru with great spacing on his offensive sets. That's just not Tino's style.

The part that disappoints me is the bait and switch. He sold himself based on a pressure defense and a fast-paced, three-point shooting offense. When they asked him why he liked the 3-point field goal so much, he replied that it was because there was no four-point shot.

Beilein knows - as does Greg Gard and did Bo Ryan - that the key to winning in the Big Ten if you don't get blue-chip recruits is a combination of size and skill. Richard seems to think that the blue-chip recruits are just around the corner.

I could not agree more with this.

Michigan missed a chance to grab control early. Now in a bit of trouble. B1G probably going to lose 6th straight title game. Sigh.

Actually he is viewed as a savior. They have won the ACC under Bennett as all their history combined. He can name his job. Do not get me wrong, it was a truly horrible loss and all the credit to UMBC. UVA offered no excuses. They will be back with his best team ever. They will have more natural scoring, length and bounce then ever. There AD is a woman that loves everything about Bennett, Carla would not trade TB FOR ANY COACH IN AMERICA.

"They will be back with his best team ever."??? So they might get to the 2nd round? :)

DiVincenzo looks like Steph Curry out there, he can't miss

Maybe just me, but one of the most "meh" tournaments I can recall. Loyola and UMBC are the only thing that made it memorable at all.

Top Bottom