NCAA Tournament Thread

How much better is this than the NBA playoffs. Much more interesting to watch when one doesn't actually know who is going to win ahead of time.

The games are interesting but the quality of play has been terrible. Def not better than NBA playoffs. Kentucky & Kansas St game was miss free throw after miss free throw.

The games are interesting but the quality of play has been terrible. Def not better than NBA playoffs. Kentucky & Kansas St game was miss free throw after miss free throw.

Agreed. The games are thrilling, exciting stuff. But holy hell has the quality of play been awful.

Agreed. The games are thrilling, exciting stuff. But holy hell has the quality of play been awful.

It's been uneven. That Loyola-Nevada game: I thought it was marvelous. My advice: if that game doesn't turn your crank, maybe college basketball isn't for you, dude.

One of the things i love about college hoops besides the stories are all the different styles.

It's been uneven. That Loyola-Nevada game: I thought it was marvelous. My advice: if that game doesn't turn your crank, maybe college basketball isn't for you, dude.
Agreed

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

It's not exactly a fair comparison, as one is filled with best-of-7 series while the other is filled with single-elimination games. The better team almost always wins over a long series, while almost anything can happen in a single game. There's no way to prove it of course, but I'd bet all the money ever created on Earth that UMBC would not prevail over Virginia in a 7-game series.

Exactly. The NBA needs to go to an NCAA type format. Regular season of 3 1/2 months, about 50 games, and single elim. 32 team tournament. Call it April Anarchy or something. Baseball has adopted a play in game to try to capture the excitement of a one and done. NBA playoffs delivers the best team advancing virtually all the time - boring. March Madness delivers the possibility of upset and the suspense that goes along with that. I'll take suspense every day of the week and also twice on Sunday.
(Obviously money talks so the eternal NBA seasons will continue to go on and on and on.)

I love the tourney needs one more part a Duke loss!

Exactly. The NBA needs to go to an NCAA type format. Regular season of 3 1/2 months, about 50 games, and single elim. 32 team tournament. Call it April Anarchy or something. Baseball has adopted a play in game to try to capture the excitement of a one and done. NBA playoffs delivers the best team advancing virtually all the time - boring. March Madness delivers the possibility of upset and the suspense that goes along with that. I'll take suspense every day of the week and also twice on Sunday.
(Obviously money talks so the eternal NBA seasons will continue to go on and on and on.)
The NBA used to have a best of 3 series for opening rounds. I recall several major upsets in that format.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm sure they'd be happy to do that if you tell them how to recoup the lost revenue from the hundreds (thousands?) of games they would no longer be hosting between the regular season and playoffs.

It would be entertaining, but a lousy way to crown a champion.

I was reading and laughing at a thread on a Kentucky basketball forum that maybe had the greatest conspiracy theory of all time. The poster actually thinks that referees were intentionally calling fouls on KSU that resulted in sending a bad free throw shooter to the line. That way, he would miss and KSU would get the ball back.

So KSU won because the the referees called too many fouls on them. You can't make stuff like that up.

The purpose of the NBA format is to end with the best team winning it all. The purpose of the NCAA format to create an exciting tournament. One is not necessarily better than the other, it just depends on what you prefer. As long as people understand that it is fine with me. I love the suspense of the NCAA tournament, and I love that the NBA playoffs produce the most worthy champion. I don't think either one should change. Though I do really like the idea being floated in the NBA to have a four-team tournament to decide the final two playoff spots in each conference.

I thought more about the lost revenue piece and wanted to dive into it. Under your proposal, each team would have 32 games eliminated during the regular season (going from 82 to 50). Cumulatively, that would be 480 games lost (32 X 15). During the playoffs, a single-elimination tournament with all 32 teams would be 31 games total. As the NBA playoffs are currently structured, there are 15 7-game playoff series, which means that there could be as few as 60 games and as many as 105 games. For the purposes of this exercise, let's meet in the middle and say an average year has 82 total playoff games. That would mean, in this example, the NBA losing 51 playoff games per year.

So, in this exercise, the NBA is losing 531 total games per year. Doing some light Googling, ticket prices and revenue vary wildly, but let's just say for the average team that it's around $1 million in ticket revenue per game. And thus, in this exercise, the NBA's revenue would be diminished by $531 million per year.

If you can figure out how to recoup a half-billion dollars (ballpark) in lost revenue every year, I'm sure they'd love your idea!

I was reading and laughing at a thread on a Kentucky basketball forum that maybe had the greatest conspiracy theory of all time. The poster actually thinks that referees were intentionally calling fouls on KSU that resulted in sending a bad free throw shooter to the line. That way, he would miss and KSU would get the ball back.

So KSU won because the the referees called too many fouls on them. You can't make stuff like that up.

The thing is Washington was around a 63% free throw shooter before last night. Not great but better than 8 of 20. He makes 60-65% of his free throws last night and they probably win.

The purpose of the NBA format is to end with the best team winning it all. The purpose of the NCAA format to create an exciting tournament. One is not necessarily better than the other, it just depends on what you prefer. As long as people understand that it is fine with me. I love the suspense of the NCAA tournament, and I love that the NBA playoffs produce the most worthy champion. I don't think either one should change. Though I do really like the idea being floated in the NBA to have a four-team tournament to decide the final two playoff spots in each conference.

Exactly. I actually prefer that they are different. A series works well for leagues with just 30 teams in it.

I thought more about the lost revenue piece and wanted to dive into it. Under your proposal, each team would have 32 games eliminated during the regular season (going from 82 to 50). Cumulatively, that would be 480 games lost (32 X 15). During the playoffs, a single-elimination tournament with all 32 teams would be 31 games total. As the NBA playoffs are currently structured, there are 15 7-game playoff series, which means that there could be as few as 60 games and as many as 105 games. For the purposes of this exercise, let's meet in the middle and say an average year has 82 total playoff games. That would mean, in this example, the NBA losing 51 playoff games per year.

So, in this exercise, the NBA is losing 531 total games per year. Doing some light Googling, ticket prices and revenue vary wildly, but let's just say for the average team that it's around $1 million in ticket revenue per game. And thus, in this exercise, the NBA's revenue would be diminished by $531 million per year.

If you can figure out how to recoup a half-billion dollars (ballpark) in lost revenue every year, I'm sure they'd love your idea!

So the 50 Reg Season games would be for seeding if all 30 teams make the playoffs?

Just to play devil’s advocate, is it possible that there would be better attendance (or I suppose, more accurately, ticket revenue) for an average game in a 50 game season versus an 82 game season? Do many people actually buy full season tickets for an NBA team? That seems like a lot of time commitment to go to even 3/4 of the home games. I’m thinking about the people who attend maybe 5-10 games a season or less. I would image those people would attend approximately the same number of games even if the season were shortened, and so teams might make more revenue per game in a shorter season, though maybe not enough to offset the smaller number of games.

I guess if the majority of people at NBA games are buying tickets for, say, 20 or more games a year, then cutting the season to 50 games would likely lose the NBA a lot of money, but if most people there are only buying tickets to a few games a year, then I think they would continue buying the same amount of tickets, and you’d sell more tickets per game and possibly recoup the loss of getting less money from season ticket holders. For example, maybe you’d get a total of 60,000 ticket sales over the course of 4 games in a 50 game season, instead of selling the same number of tickets over a course of 6 or 7 games.

But then you also lose at least half of the playoff games, which seem to be pretty well attended in the current format, or at least it looks that way to me on TV.

You’re probably right that it would lose too much money, I just wanted to think it through a little more.

It would be entertaining, but a lousy way to crown a champion.

Yes, if assuring that the best team is crowned is the most important thing to you, then you like the present system.
Imagine this though:

Weekend 1
Thurs and Fri. 16 games
Sat and Sun 8 games

Weekend 2
Thurs and Fri 4 games
Sat and Sun 2 games

Weekend 3
Sun 1 game

Imagine a Houston - Golden State one game take all between these two well rested teams. You would also have a full week of hype leading up to it ala the super bowl. The game would be epic and the ratings humongous.

I don't watch the NBA playoffs because they are too predictable and drawn out. But I love the drama of March Madness and would love to see it play out with the best players in the world in April.

You can triple that number once you include TV broadcasting rights. Any proposal that involves significantly reducing the number of games wouldn’t even be considered by the NBA

Yes, if assuring that the best team is crowned is the most important thing to you, then you like the present system.
Imagine this though:

Weekend 1
Thurs and Fri. 16 games
Sat and Sun 8 games

Weekend 2
Thurs and Fri 4 games
Sat and Sun 2 games

Weekend 3
Sun 1 game

Imagine a Houston - Golden State one game take all between these two well rested teams. You would also have a full week of hype leading up to it ala the super bowl. The game would be epic and the ratings humongous.

I don't watch the NBA playoffs because they are too predictable and drawn out. But I love the drama of March Madness and would love to see it play out with the best players in the world in April.

For the record, I did not say I liked one system or the other i was just pointing out the obvious. It would be entertaining (tremendously) but flawed in that the "best" team is not identified. Which is better is in the eye of the beholder.

So the 50 Reg Season games would be for seeding if all 30 teams make the playoffs?

Yes. Games would maybe start Christmas Day. People would be much more excited for basketball rather than starting end of October when college and pro football are just ramping up. The smaller amount of games would also largely deal with the tanking problem, which make the last 30 games or so of the season a farce for too many teams anyway.

For the record, I did not say I liked one system or the other i was just pointing out the obvious. It would be entertaining (tremendously) but flawed in that the "best" team is not identified. Which is better is in the eye of the beholder.

Agreed. Identifying the "best" team is no doubt most important for many people. Just saying I prefer the unpredictability and drama of the college model.

Couldn't agree with you more. Money is king. My point isn't that the college model would ever be considered by the pros.
I just enjoy March Madness so much would like to see that duplicated in the pro game.

Also, just read an article. 2014 Super bowl ad revenue - 1.23 billion. NCAA tourney ad revenue - 1.13 billion. NBA playoffs ad revenue - 903 billion. Advertisers vote NCAA playoffs are 22% better than NBA playoffs.

What about the rest of the NFL playoff ad revenue ? Even with all that cash most schools athletic departments lose money.

What about the rest of the NFL playoff ad revenue ? Even with all that cash most schools athletic departments lose money.

Sorry. The 1.23 billion is for all the NFL playoff games, including the super bowl.

Sagaba Konate may be my favorite player left in this tournament. Just plays with anger and aggression and a great deal of skill.

Top Bottom