Fleck Spreading Energy, Excitement Across Gopher Athletic Department

Fleck would make an outstanding Athletic Director whenever he is done with coaching. Would love if it if we can keep him long enough to have a Barry Alvarez type situation.

PJ seems a heck of a lot less slimy than our last two ADs....

Do we have any stats on PJ's tongue size?

I agree with HH. You don’t have to change your personality for anyone, but could you be a little more open minded. Every time PJ does ANYTHING you always remind us of the obvious that it doesn’t matter if they don’t win. We all know that, but can’t you step back and appreciate the effort or see the building blocks that it takes to build a program and change the negative attitude of the fan base? It is like criticizing every homework assignment that your kid accomplishes with the old “well, it does matter unless you pass the class”.
Life is about enjoying the journey, not the final destination! Enjoy and make the best of the journey!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PJ’s an amped up larger than life personality. He’s a good recruiter. But ultimately achieving winning records, beating the Badgers, and conference title runs is what generates excitement for the team. It’s not really debatable.

Pointing out the hypocrisy of PJ talking about connecting the team with the public while he’s reducing access of fans and media to the team is not negativity. It’s reality.

PJ is #1 in running down expectations for his first 2-3 seasons. Is that negativity, or reality (or self-made reality)? King of the Can’ts.

I do appreciate how PJ is reaching out to all of the other athletic teams.
I think that's important to build the whole athletic community, and not just have a "we're the football team and things are different for us" mentality. It should help create a positive public perception.

Also, a successful football coach is the most important athletic hire a University can have if done correctly. If done incorrectly, it's the AD.

So, you want me to change my personality to suit you? I write the way I think. That is who I am. You say dour - I say realistic. Shoot, I'm actually a lot more cynical and ticked-off than most of my posts on here indicate.

or I guess I could just post PJ IS GREAT. WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE ROSE BOWL!!!!!!!!!! there, now are you happy?

You keep being you SON. I, for one, appreciate you posting your thoughts whether or not they are popular.

Thanks again for the Sunday write-ups as well, one of the best things on this board, but I get no one is debating that here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, you want me to change my personality to suit you? I write the way I think. That is who I am. You say dour - I say realistic. Shoot, I'm actually a lot more cynical and ticked-off than most of my posts on here indicate.

or I guess I could just post PJ IS GREAT. WE'RE GOING TO WIN THE ROSE BOWL!!!!!!!!!! there, now are you happy?

I'm with you, man. Tell you what, his best shot at the Rose Bowl in the near future is 2019, but he's got to get the Gophs winning right now.

So is this offer on the table, or no?

I'm with you, man. Tell you what, his best shot at the Rose Bowl in the near future is 2019, but he's got to get the Gophs winning right now.

No Fleck does not have to get the Gophers to win right now. He is going to get plenty of time to get this going.

Fleck would make an outstanding Athletic Director whenever he is done with coaching. Would love if it if we can keep him long enough to have a Barry Alvarez type situation.

Speaking of Alvarez, people forget that he was 1-10, 5-6 and 5-6 his first three years (and did not go to a bowl) as Badger head coach. It takes time and patience to build a program and a "system". Wisconsin has been good for so long now, we forget how absolutely horrible they were in the 1980's. Alvarez' first year there was 1990.

Speaking of Alvarez, people forget that he was 1-10, 5-6 and 5-6 his first three years (and did not go to a bowl) as Badger head coach. It takes time and patience to build a program and a "system". Wisconsin has been good for so long now, we forget how absolutely horrible they were in the 1980's. Alvarez' first year there was 1990.

Great point. I really hope we give Fleck at least 5 or 6 years to get this right. One of our biggest problems in Basketball and Football have been inability to commit to a coach (plus bad luck with Kills health). The way Fleck recruits and gets gets people excited about this team has me believing we can do great things if we are patient.

Great point. I really hope we give Fleck at least 5 or 6 years to get this right. One of our biggest problems in Basketball and Football have been inability to commit to a coach (plus bad luck with Kills health). The way Fleck recruits and gets gets people excited about this team has me believing we can do great things if we are patient.

I understand what you're saying. and it makes sense. But, in an ironic way, Fleck's personality makes it more difficult for the long, slow build. Fleck comes on loud and strong. That is not an approach that says "patience." If you come in talking big, it's understandable that casual fans - not necessarily the die-hards - are going to want to see some results quickly.

if Fleck does not produce some results fairly soon, then some people - not all - may conclude that he's all noise and no substance. If Fleck really wants and needs to buy some time to build the program his way, then, at the very least, I think he needs to show at least some progress. Going to a bowl game this year would be a sign of progress. So, I'm not saying he needs to win 9 games this year. I'm saying he probably needs to win at least 6 games and play in some kind of a bowl game. Another 5-win season - or less - and it will be a lot harder to sustain any type of momentum for the program. And make it more difficult to sell tickets, win back fans, and fund-raise.

As far as Alvarez, he inherited a much bigger mess at WI as opposed to what Fleck inherited at MN. (at least on the field). I was in WI during some of the Don Morton era, and interest in the program had really dropped off. But - important distinction - Alvarez is more of a low-key guy, and he didn't come in promising miracles. As long as he demonstrated some competency, it was seen as an improvement over Morton. And that bought Alvarez the time he needed to build the program.

Speaking of Alvarez, people forget that <b>he was 1-10, 5-6 and 5-6 his first three years (and did not go to a bowl) </b>as Badger head coach. It takes time and patience to build a program and a "system". Wisconsin has been good for so long now, <b>we forget how absolutely horrible they were in the 1980's.</b> Alvarez' first year there was 1990.

Not mutually exclusive events.

Different situations. The badgers had won 9 games for the four years before Alvarez started, the four years before Fleck the gophers won 30.

No Fleck does not have to get the Gophers to win right now. He is going to get plenty of time to get this going.

In this day and age of recruiting, yes he does. Fleck got this current class based on his cult of personality and sudden national exposure. That has a very limited shelf life. They don't win and recruiting will most certainly drop off from this year's success.

In this day and age of recruiting, yes he does. Fleck got this current class based on his cult of personality and sudden national exposure. That has a very limited shelf life. They don't win and recruiting will most certainly drop off from this year's success.

You have no idea if that is why Fleck got his current recruiting class. It might be much to your disbelief Fleck and his staff are decent recruiters. Fleck is not in a win now position.

You have no idea if that is why Fleck got his current recruiting class. It might be much to your disbelief Fleck and his staff are decent recruiters. Fleck is not in a win now position.
Correct. In addition the new sports facility is a game changer for recruiting. Fleck could flounder this season and still pull in recruits with the facilities alone.

Correct. In addition the new sports facility is a game changer for recruiting. Fleck could flounder this season and still pull in recruits with the facilities alone.

Right, because no one else has nice facilities. Genius!

Never said they are not good recruiters...in fact I've said the opposite.

Top Bottom